AotC: Jordan River (completed)
Carcassonne Central
March 29, 2024, 08:14:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: THESE FORUMS HAVE BEEN REPLACED. PLEASE GO TO THE NEW FORUMS: http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/

Home   Help Search Staff List Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: AotC: Jordan River (completed)  (Read 31130 times)
Whaleyland
Authors
Viscount

Merit: 28

Often the loser, but still undefeated.

WWW Awards
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2009, 02:07:57 PM »

Oooh, they are beautiful! I am totally going to print these out when I get the chance. I'll have to tack them on to regular Carc tiles but, as was said above, they get played first anyway. I especially find the double-length lake cool. It's like our own little Dead Sea (Salt Sea)/Sea of Galilee (depending on the geographic location of Jerusalem, that is). My only critique, and I assure you it is minor, is that the contrast again seems a little strong on the 3rd through 6th tiles. The banks of the river just look dark for some reason. Again maybe a bit of blurring would help. The rest look great. Good job.

So, any ideas for a City of Jerusalem expansion? Preferably one that doesn't copy the mechanics of the City of Carcassonne, since I hate that expansion more than the Catapult even.

'There is no place in a fanatic's head where reason can enter'.
- Napoleon Bonaparte I, Emperor of the French (1804-1814, 1815)
meepleater
Authors
Viscount

Merit: 20

Some people finish stuff, others d

Awards
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2009, 02:18:26 PM »

Hopefully these are a bit better (and yes, I think the 2 tile lake is my favourite part too):

No, I have no ideas for the Jerusalem expansion, although I did just re-discover some other AotC tiles that I'd forgotten I was working on: Market towns (inns/ cathedrals) and a three-way road plus a few other combinations.

scotty13
Authors
Vassal

Merit: 5

Awards
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2009, 10:10:55 AM »

Thats awsome.  Can you make it a pdf for printing to size.
meepleater
Authors
Viscount

Awards
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2009, 02:56:00 PM »

Here they are, finished, pdf-ed, correct size and ready to print: http://www.mediafire.com/?zeij0jwfthn

EDIT: Are there going to be rules with these? If so, might I suggest that there is a no u-turn at all (not just immediate) rule, so that the river should flow pretty much noth-south (or the other way around).
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 02:58:17 PM by meepleater » Logged

Scott
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Merit: 45

WWW Awards
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2009, 11:21:32 AM »

Thanks to meepleater for the awesome tile artwork. I've updated the rules to reflect the two Dead Sea tiles. Here is a ZIP file with the rules and tiles together: http://www.mediafire.com/?mnjqzljml5u. There is indeed a no u-turns ever rule. This is the only significant difference from the original River expansion for Carcassonne.

Is this the first AotC expansion ever?

meepleater
Authors
Viscount

Awards
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2009, 02:02:42 PM »

I don't recall ever hearing of one before this.

Whaleyland
Authors
Viscount

WWW Awards
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2009, 05:10:25 PM »

I've heard of a number of proposals, but this is the first finished one, I believe. Up for making more? Here are my proposals for other re-makes of standard Carc expansions:

Taverns and Tabernacles (Inns & Cathedrals)
Pheonicians & Lebanese (Traders & Builders)
The Sea of Galilee (The River II)
The City of Jerusalem (The City of Carcassonne)
The Messiah & the Syrian (The King & the Robber Baron)
The Philistines (The Cathars/The Siege)
The Tower of Babel (The Tower)
The Behemoth and the Leviathan (The Princess and the Dragon)
The Temple and the Priest (Abbey and Mayor)
Fireballs from Heaven (The Catapult)
The Samaritans (The Heretics)
The Golden Calf (The Wheel of Fortune)
The Cave (The Tunnel)

meepleater
Authors
Viscount

Awards
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2009, 05:51:05 PM »

My 2 cents on those ideas:

The Sea of Galilee (The River II): The river II (and possibly a river III) are feasible, yet I think maybe another name might be in order, as I think one of the lakes in the Jordan River is already the sea of galilee. Maybe just 'The Jordan River II'. If we do make a second one, we will not need another starting lake, and only one more ending sea (and if the river does end up branching, we have just undone all our ideas for a straight north-south geographically correct Jordan River).

The Samaritans (The heretics): Before we consider any cult expansions, we must remember that there is no equivalent of a cloister in AotC. Temples function very differently. the same would go for any other cloister expansions. (Even the Cathedral in the City of Carcassonne) would not be adaptable.

The Behemoth and the Leviathan (The Princess and the Dragon): I believe the Leviathan was thought to be a sea monster (from the ancient fear of the sea). It would be hard to imagune a sea monster crawling around in the middle of a desert.

Fireballs from Heavan (The Catapult): You must be joking...

Whaleyland
Authors
Viscount

WWW Awards
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2009, 06:27:36 PM »

My 2 cents on those ideas:

The Sea of Galilee (The River II): The river II (and possibly a river III) are feasible, yet I think maybe another name might be in order, as I think one of the lakes in the Jordan River is already the sea of galilee. Maybe just 'The Jordan River II'. If we do make a second one, we will not need another starting lake, and only one more ending sea (and if the river does end up branching, we have just undone all our ideas for a straight north-south geographically correct Jordan River).

The Samaritans (The heretics): Before we consider any cult expansions, we must remember that there is no equivalent of a cloister in AotC. Temples function very differently. the same would go for any other cloister expansions. (Even the Cathedral in the City of Carcassonne) would not be adaptable.

The Behemoth and the Leviathan (The Princess and the Dragon): I believe the Leviathan was thought to be a sea monster (from the ancient fear of the sea). It would be hard to imagune a sea monster crawling around in the middle of a desert.

Fireballs from Heavan (The Catapult): You must be joking...

Indeed, the titles were the main focus, not necessarily the intent of the expansions. Without cloisters, there are many problems in adapting expansions. Abbeys lose some of their purpose, heretics are rather worthless or at least must be changed, and the river cannot branch which makes it rather restricted (I forgot that you already included the SoG as one of the ends of the river; the starting "source" I assume).

I still think there is potential, though. The Samaritans (the descendants of northern Israelites that married in and bred with ethnic Syrians and other Assyrian captives) practiced a poor version of Judaism after their conquest and were generally known as idol-worshipers even before that time. Perhaps counter temples could still exist, with much the same function as shrines in regular Carc.

True, I forgot that Leviathan was a sea creature. Unless a Great Sea expansion were made, I think we'd have to restrict ourselves to Behemoth.

Fireballs from Heaven was rather based on the plague of Egypt idea with a bit of falling sky thrown in. I mean, how better to have fire from heaven than fireballs launched from the Catapult? It's mostly a joke, but if the Catapult were adapted for whatever terrible reason, fireballs are the most logical result.

meepleater
Authors
Viscount

Awards
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2009, 06:37:40 PM »

Indeed, the titles were the main focus, not necessarily the intent of the expansions. Without cloisters, there are many problems in adapting expansions. Abbeys lose some of their purpose, heretics are rather worthless or at least must be changed, and the river cannot branch which makes it rather restricted (I forgot that you already included the SoG as one of the ends of the river; the starting "source" I assume).

I still think there is potential, though. The Samaritans (the descendants of northern Israelites that married in and bred with ethnic Syrians and other Assyrian captives) practiced a poor version of Judaism after their conquest and were generally known as idol-worshipers even before that time. Perhaps counter temples could still exist, with much the same function as shrines in regular Carc.

True, I forgot that Leviathan was a sea creature. Unless a Great Sea expansion were made, I think we'd have to restrict ourselves to Behemoth.

Fireballs from Heaven was rather based on the plague of Egypt idea with a bit of falling sky thrown in. I mean, how better to have fire from heaven than fireballs launched from the Catapult? It's mostly a joke, but if the Catapult were adapted for whatever terrible reason, fireballs are the most logical result.

If we're coming up with good AotC expansions, it might be best not to simply copy the carc ones, but to create new ideas that bring out the themes and different mechanics for AotC. I'm sure that many of the carc expansions could be successfully adapted, but something new would be nice too. (I guess I can't really talk, having just helped to adapt the river).

Whaleyland
Authors
Viscount

WWW Awards
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2009, 07:04:36 PM »

(I guess I can't really talk, having just helped to adapt the river).

I'm there with you. When I create Carc expansions, I like to adapt themes from other Carc games (Hunters & Gatherers comes to mind). But yes, new ideas that focus on the Books of Judges and 1 Samuel are probably key for Ark of the Covenant since that is the time period of the game. I'm with you on that point. Still, I liked the Jordan River expansion. I feel it is necessary. Perhaps you could make a Jericho tile to start down the path of conquest.

Scott
Authors
Duke Chevalier

WWW Awards
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2009, 10:24:31 PM »

I agree with Whaley that we should focus on the correct time period rather than just trying to adapt every Carc expansion to fit. For example, a logical expansion would be High Places, which would have some sort of negative impact. Perhaps they function opposite to the Prophet meeple?

However, City of Jerusalem would be a good expansion, possibily with different mechanics to make it appeal to more people. I also like the Philistines, whether it's the same as Cathars or something along the lines of the barbarians from Catan.

Scott
Authors
Duke Chevalier

WWW Awards
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2009, 05:25:24 PM »

I realize there isn't really a good spot in the downloads section for this, but could somebody make a place and post this? I'm hoping that we'll be doing more AotC expansions.

Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Merit: 49

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2010, 05:06:08 AM »

I think the rules need to show the sea of galilee tile and the dead sea tiles.  Also, the 180º rule could do with a graphic example.  I'm sure meepleater would be up to the tast of doing these images Smiley

meepleater
Authors
Viscount

Awards
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2010, 11:09:05 PM »

Nice to see the forums are back up. How are these images:

Sorry about the white backgrounds...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: