Natural Disasters
Carcassonne Central
April 26, 2024, 01:21:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: THESE FORUMS HAVE BEEN REPLACED. PLEASE GO TO THE NEW FORUMS: http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/

Home   Help Search Staff List Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
  Print  
Author Topic: Natural Disasters  (Read 63650 times)
CKorfmann
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Merit: 32

Pigs are meeple too!

Awards
« on: July 30, 2009, 01:57:57 PM »

I've been thinking about the meteor tile some more lately.  I think the best mechanic for it is to replace a tile aready in play with it.  I guess it should function somewhat like an abbey in that it still completes whatever touches it on the sides assuming it only removes one tile.  Perhaps it should remove more than one.  Thoughts...?

Desiring this to be a two-tile expansion, I'm not sure what to make the other tile.  I thought briefly about just adding it with the forest fire tile, but quickly decided that it would be useless to people who don't play with the forest even though it's quite good. 

I thought about an earthquake tile, the idea being that when you place it, you split all the tiles in the playing area in one direction and seperate them by one tile width and place the earthquake tile in the gap.  I probably wouldn't mind doing this, but it could be quite tedious for some people. 

Perhaps a tornado tile to remove meeples within a certain radius?  That might be too game changing.

Originally, I thought the meteor would go pretty well with the plague, but that's already being used. 

Flee the fleas!
skipboris
Authors
Duke

Merit: 14

Try out the Ocean!

Awards
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 03:00:26 PM »

Check out the hurricane in "turbulent waters."  You might be able to use those tiles.
CKorfmann
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Pigs are meeple too!

Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 03:03:40 PM »

Hmm... I'd like to, but for some reason I can't unzip it.

Flee the fleas!
Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Merit: 49

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 01:25:19 AM »

You can now download the file from Public Downloads.

If you have a Solar Eclipse tile, you can rename it "Signs and Portents".  I have no idea what a Solar Eclipse tile would do.  A Lunar Eclipse tile would be interesting too Smiley

CKorfmann
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Pigs are meeple too!

Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2009, 08:56:17 AM »

Well, that's an interesting idea, but I have no idea what they would do either.  Flood might be cool, but it seems like there would be too many possibilities and restrictions to placement for just one tile. 
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 08:58:00 AM by CKorfmann » Logged

Flee the fleas!
JPutt927
Authors
Duke

Conquering the world...One tile at a time.

Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2009, 09:58:49 AM »

I've actually been thinking for some time about possibly doing a Natural Disasters expansion...I think my forest fire gave me that idea.  Anyways, one of my ideas was to include Locusts...something that would severely hurt a farm. So, that's just another thought...
Joff
Authors
Chatelain

Merit: 30

I play yellow... usually

WWW Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2009, 12:05:37 PM »

Anyways, one of my ideas was to include Locusts...something that would severely hurt a farm. So, that's just another thought...

That idea would fit nicely for an Ark of the Covenant expansion Wink
CKorfmann
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Pigs are meeple too!

Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2009, 08:38:43 PM »

Anyways, one of my ideas was to include Locusts...something that would severely hurt a farm. So, that's just another thought...
That idea would fit nicely for an Ark of the Covenant expansion Wink
Yes it would.  I was thinking about the Ten Plagues.

I've actually been thinking for some time about possibly doing a Natural Disasters expansion...I think my forest fire gave me that idea.  Anyways, one of my ideas was to include Locusts...something that would severely hurt a farm. So, that's just another thought...
The drought tile from Drought and Pestilence hurts a farm.  It's kind of an anti-pig farm.  However, I doubt it does as much damage as you're suggesting.  Whatever we can come up with, we could probably include the Drought and Pestilence tiles (assuming permission). 

Flee the fleas!
CKorfmann
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Pigs are meeple too!

Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009, 09:17:07 PM »

Sorry for the double post.  I'm ready to get started on this one.  I'm thinking a 6-12 tiles in the set.  Probably less is more.  Ideally, I think we should add a few of the Drought and Pestilance tiles.  The Forest Fire seems like an obvious inclusion as well.  This probably sounds a little more like a compilation, but I wonder if we couldn't try the Earthquake and Flood tiles.  Any ideas on how these could work?

Flee the fleas!
elmendalerenda
Freeman

Merit: 0

Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2009, 04:25:20 AM »

Well, flood tile should be used with river or river II or any of the fishermen series. I suggest that the flood tile should replace a river tile and any feature in a tile touching orthogonally the flood tile would score one point less or no point at all. Basically it will flood all adjacent tiles and make them worthless. If already scored, then nothing would happen. Regarding the farm, the tile adjacent to the flood tile wont be used to check city supply.

Other disaster, althoug not natural could be pillaged farms. With this tiles if placed on a farm with a farmer, at the end of the turn the farmer would return to his owner supply. In case more than one farmer, the player who placed the tile chooses wich one goes. Removing a farmer is counted as moving the wood (it would be like a princess but affecting farmers)

Earthquake, I would say make it a full city tile that can replace a full city tile or be placed normally. This tile wont be counted for scoring purposes, can also replace a cathedral tile.

will keep thinking in more dissasters Smiley
Gwommy
Count

Merit: 30

Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2009, 10:06:21 AM »

I'd like to see the tornado as a piece of wood instead of a tile.  Not sure how to design that, but it would act similar to the dragon, but instead of removing meeple, it would carry one.  Then when it moved to a tile with another meeple on it, then that meeple is exchanged with the one in the tornado.  If the exchange makes no sense(like putting a pig on the road in place of a thief), then that meeple is returned to their owners supply.  I'm not sure if keeping the movement the same as the dragon would out as well though.
meepleater
Authors
Viscount

Merit: 20

Some people finish stuff, others d

Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2009, 02:54:38 PM »

Tornado sounds cool. But not sure how it work work as a wooden piece- I agree it would be kinda hard. Would there be a substitute for a wooden piece? Maybe an icon on several tiles? or maybe it could just be a wooden disk?

elmendalerenda
Freeman

Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2009, 05:43:38 AM »

The tornado idea seems funny, also a must if playing with the wizards of Oz  Grin

Meeples in cities should be safe from tornados, city walls serve for more than keep enemies at bay.

In case of tornado moving as a dragon, can it carry more than one follower?

Maybe can be used like a gallow but for farmers. Will keep them frozen until a new tornado tile is drawn.
CKorfmann
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Pigs are meeple too!

Awards
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2009, 08:40:41 AM »

Thanks for weighing in on this one everyone!

I like the tornado as a meeple idea.  I think it's unique and could be fun.  I think a disk would be easiest.  Maybe it could be painted with a swirly pattern or have a sticker put on it. 

Here were my original ideas for the flood and earthquake... for the flood I was thinking of a mechanic something like a JPutt idea.  The flood tile is replaces an existing river tile and stays there for one turn.  After completing one round, when it is the same player's turn again, that tile is removed as well as the 8 surrounding it and they are replaced with a large 3x3 tile of a flooded area.  Any meeples on those tiles are removed and the tiles are removed from play.  I suppose there could also be an intermediate stage with a 2x2 also if desired.

For the earthquake, I think the idea I like the best would be choosing a seam to place the tile and then splitting the board in half along whatever seam is chosen and seperating all the tiles in both directions by one tile width and placing the earthquake tile in the gap.  I know that could be extremely difficult depending on how far along in the game you are, but I can't think of a mechanic I like better.

Flee the fleas!
elmendalerenda
Freeman

Awards
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2009, 09:10:49 AM »

Hum, I´m not a geologist, but earthquakes area of damage are normally rounded. If you want to make it in a seam, that would be caused by a tectonic plaque (like San Andres in Cal. we dont have many of those in Europe, so the effect of the earthquake shall be rounded)

The earthquakes affect mostly buildings. What I have think as my previous idea wasnt very good. It´s making one earthquake tile that can be placed anywhere, all buildings (cities, cloister, inns, shrines, etc) in the adjacent tiles would be destroyed so no further scoring for them and all followers in these building returned to their owners supplies. This way farms wont be affected, neither roads (that time roads were trails). If you want more destruction the range can be made bigger.

With this option there are several options, use some meeple to show destroyed buildings or make tiles (hard work but more aesthetic, for this purpose JPutt927 work with the city of carcassonne in barbarian hoard is amazing  Thumbs up )
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
  Print  

Jump to: