Making Tiles
Carcassonne Central
April 27, 2024, 10:05:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: THESE FORUMS HAVE BEEN REPLACED. PLEASE GO TO THE NEW FORUMS: http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/

Home   Help Search Staff List Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Making Tiles  (Read 8452 times)
teichrod
Vagabond

Merit: 0

Awards
« on: February 15, 2011, 05:57:54 AM »

So I'm trying my hand at making some tiles, and it's going pretty well using sticker paper and my inkjet printer.  However, when I tried a glossy spray to finish them off, the tiles get significantly darker.  Any suggestions on avoiding this?  Would laserjet printing solve this?  Or a particularly top coat gloss product?  Thanks for any help you can offer.
Scott
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Merit: 45

WWW Awards
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 05:09:49 PM »

Yeah, laserjet will give much better results than inkjet, and it will be glossy enough that you can just cut, peel, and stick.

CARC_Zoner
Authors
Vassal

Merit: 2

Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 05:24:37 PM »

So I'm trying my hand at making some tiles, and it's going pretty well using sticker paper and my inkjet printer.  However, when I tried a glossy spray to finish them off, the tiles get significantly darker.  Any suggestions on avoiding this?  Would laserjet printing solve this?  Or a particularly top coat gloss product?  Thanks for any help you can offer.

I had the same problem, since the glossy spray seeped through the sticker, blending the original tile and sticker ink...

You may want to try higher quality label paper, or several very light sprays of the finish, instead of soaking the new tile.

CARC_Zoner
teichrod
Vagabond

Merit: 0

Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 07:09:36 AM »

Thanks Carc_Zoner, that's what I ended up doing and it worked pretty well. 
Sloveez
Vagabond

Merit: 1

Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 06:46:43 AM »

This has got to be one of the best ideas of seem so far...

http://www.instructables.com/id/Using-Adhesive-Backed-Floor-tiles-to-make-Print-/

Bixby
Count

Merit: 12

Guinness is Goodness

Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 10:18:49 AM »

This has got to be one of the best ideas of seem so far...

http://www.instructables.com/id/Using-Adhesive-Backed-Floor-tiles-to-make-Print-/

Brilliant. Thanks you for sharing!

My KARMA ran over your DOGMA
Dave
Vassal

Merit: 2

Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 08:21:05 AM »

Making my own tiles

I found a post (sorry dont know how to link) on BGG on how I spent a wet weekend

an instructional on making tiles

this was my inspiration

so I bought a great pack of stock card, bug sheets each 1.8mm thick I think, then print on an inkjet on 160gsm paper, both fronts from the expansions and backs from the downloads,

a can of spay on craft adhesive on the card and stick on the fronts

when dry I use (only because I dont have the right tool) a 2inch chisel with the bevel facing the tile to chop out each tile individually (quite labour intensive, let me tell you).

then I draw A grid on the back of the "backs" paper (holding it up against a window to see through) more spray on adhesive and put each tile into the grid.

cut out the almost complete tiles with a stanley knife, then snip the corners with the chisel.

I have bought some spray on varnish to coat the tiles but I havn't attempted it yet, I need to run a test tile first to see if it passes some kind of tacktile test.

as they are we can tell mine from the originals (though not easily) if you hold one of each, some of mine feel ever so slightly thicker, but drawing from a bag its very hard to tell one from the other.

This week I are mostly eatin trade tokens
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: