Board Games - What is hitting your table?
Carcassonne Central
April 19, 2024, 10:38:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: THESE FORUMS HAVE BEEN REPLACED. PLEASE GO TO THE NEW FORUMS: http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/

Home   Help Search Staff List Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
  Print  
Author Topic: Board Games - What is hitting your table?  (Read 72790 times)
Bixby
Count

Merit: 12

Guinness is Goodness

Awards
« on: July 05, 2011, 01:33:27 PM »

I am borrowing this idea from another site. The basic idea is for members to add a post explaining what games they have played recently. It is interesting to see what games others are playing and it often sparks discussions about various games and game play. On more than one occasion, I have gone out to purchase a game that others found very enjoyable.

So, what is hitting your table...

My KARMA ran over your DOGMA
Bixby
Count

Guinness is Goodness

Awards
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 01:37:26 PM »

On Friday, (Canada Day), we had some friends over for a Lobster boil and a day of games. It was a nice day, so we ended up playing a few games outdoors.

Tumblin' Dice - Silly dexterity game that is perfect for an outdoor gathering where beer is involved.

Bamboleo - Another silly dexterity game that we played outside. The wind can wreak havoc though. Smile

Taktika - Four people played a game of taktika while I started cooking the mussels. This is a great little dexterity wargame that is always a hit when we bring it out.

Turfmaster - After Lobster we moved inside and got an 8 player game of Turfmaster in. This is a fun horse racing game that requires you manage you cards well. This game gets better with every play.

Saboteur - We then played a 9 player game of Saboteur. Good game for larger groups. Light and plays quick.

Ca$h & Gun$ - We ended the evening with a 9 player game of Ca$h & Gun$. (I have two copies that we have combined to allow us to play up to 12 people. This is always a hit and a nice way to end the day.

Then on Saturday night, my darling wife and I played a game of Mega-Carcassonne.
We both enjoy Carcassonne and an evening spent with an epic game is one we both look forward to. We did not finish before we called it a night. The score was
Kathy: 475 / Matt: 241
She always mops the floor with me at this game. She finds new ways to hose me over. I love it.

Last night, a friend came over for Monday night game night and he introduced me to the BattleTech CCG. Enjoyable game.
After that, Kathy joined us for a game of Blue Moon City. Colin won that in a very close race in the end game.

We ended the evening with a game of Ruse & Bruise in which Colin and I tied. I think Ruse & Bruise plays better with more players.

Talisinbear
Duke

Merit: 2

Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 09:03:24 PM »

Working on building prototype "Canadian Nalvic" board Smiley
Whaleyland
Authors
Viscount

Merit: 28

Often the loser, but still undefeated.

WWW Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 12:58:56 AM »

Dominion (Base, Intrigue, Seaside, Prosperity, Alchemy, BGG Promos), Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries, Ticket to Ride: Europe (with Europa 1912), Agricola: Farmers of the Moor, Dixit (with Dixit 2), and Small World (with Grand Dames, Cursed!, and Be Not Afraid). I've also been playing Memoir '44 Online on my Mac with the expectation of receiving it for my wedding.

'There is no place in a fanatic's head where reason can enter'.
- Napoleon Bonaparte I, Emperor of the French (1804-1814, 1815)
Bixby
Count

Guinness is Goodness

Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 07:07:03 AM »

Dominion (Base, Intrigue, Seaside, Prosperity, Alchemy, BGG Promos), Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries, Ticket to Ride: Europe (with Europa 1912), Agricola: Farmers of the Moor, Dixit (with Dixit 2), and Small World (with Grand Dames, Cursed!, and Be Not Afraid). I've also been playing Memoir '44 Online on my Mac with the expectation of receiving it for my wedding.

I have not tried Dixit yet, what are your thoughts on the game?

Whaleyland
Authors
Viscount

Merit: 28

Often the loser, but still undefeated.

WWW Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 09:53:24 AM »

Dixit is rather fun for a party game, but it can get old unfortunately. It doesn't have the various feel of, say, the Cranium games, but it does have this very artistic feel to it...like you are art connoisseurs examining pieces of abstract art. I like it and am planning to use it at my wedding. I was hoping to pick up Odyssey too to expand the game to support more people, but that will have to wait. Rules are fairly intuitive, though it takes a little work to explain them the first time around.

'There is no place in a fanatic's head where reason can enter'.
- Napoleon Bonaparte I, Emperor of the French (1804-1814, 1815)
Bixby
Count

Guinness is Goodness

Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 09:58:35 AM »

Thanks. Appreciate the insights.

MrBlu
Vassal

Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 03:16:31 PM »

Played some Mag Blast on Friday.  Then a game of Mad Zeppelin.  Finished the evening with a game of Munchkin Cthulhu.
The week before it was Carc and Dominion, using the new Cornucopia cards. 
Bixby
Count

Guinness is Goodness

Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 03:56:39 PM »

We played Dominion: Cornucopia a couple of weeks ago. I like the addition of the new cards. Never played Mad Zeppelin before, do you recommend it?

MrBlu
Vassal

Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 04:23:55 PM »

I call it a fun, "in-between" game.  We don't generally play it more than 3 games in a row and then we play something else.  It's not long.  It is fun, and random.  I enjoy it quite a bit.  I feel it was worth the $25 I paid for it.  It was easy to learn too.  We generally drag it out every 2-3 weeks.  We seem to have so many games it's hard to get them all in now.   
aeoliner
Freeman

Merit: 1

The Perfect Tile Every Time!

Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2011, 08:00:19 PM »

I have enjoyed Ascension a lot recently. the group I play with almost always plays tichu. if you need a good two player i love Jambo.
GREED is a nice quick game as well, along the lines of tichu we enjoy haggis. lastly, Ingenious is a favorite of mine.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 08:03:10 PM by aeoliner » Logged

The Hat has spoken...
metoth
Villein

Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2011, 11:29:47 AM »

Settlers of Catan, Super Scrabble, Zooloretto, Hunters and Gatherers, RISK...
Carcking
Authors
Marquis

Merit: 8

I call Red!

WWW Awards
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2011, 05:34:50 PM »

Settlers of Catan, Carcassonne, Trails to Rails, Agricola, the Farming Game

Who's your favorite? Knight, Thief, Farmer or Monk?

Find CC Fanspansions Here
CKorfmann
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Merit: 32

Pigs are meeple too!

Awards
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2011, 06:53:36 PM »

Not much lately, unfortunately.  Sad

Flee the fleas!
Bixby
Count

Guinness is Goodness

Awards
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2011, 09:22:08 PM »

We played Season Three / Race Nine of our Formula De League tonight. big fun. (My driver really sucks this year though)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
  Print  

Jump to: