Munchkin
Carcassonne Central
April 24, 2024, 02:01:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: THESE FORUMS HAVE BEEN REPLACED. PLEASE GO TO THE NEW FORUMS: http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/

Home   Help Search Staff List Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Munchkin  (Read 28172 times)
CKorfmann
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Merit: 32

Pigs are meeple too!

Awards
« on: July 28, 2011, 11:15:19 PM »

So who are the Munchkin players on the site?  I'm thinking about getting into it, but I don't know where to start.  Any suggestions?

Flee the fleas!
Bixby
Count

Merit: 12

Guinness is Goodness

Awards
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 11:29:02 PM »

Sorry, can't help you here. I had Munchkin Quest and the expansion and traded it away. I guess I am not a big fan of Steve Jackson games.

My KARMA ran over your DOGMA
Whaleyland
Authors
Viscount

Merit: 28

Often the loser, but still undefeated.

WWW Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 09:45:06 AM »

Same here. Was never a roleplayer so most of the jokes went right over my head. I have the base game in Arizona but have only played it twice. It did little for me.

'There is no place in a fanatic's head where reason can enter'.
- Napoleon Bonaparte I, Emperor of the French (1804-1814, 1815)
Deatheux
Marquis

Merit: 2

Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 08:14:52 PM »

CK, i am a HUGE(not by my tallness & weight), A HUGE fan of munchkin, i own ALL core sets + expansion + some promos, i pre-order EVERYTHING from the W23 as soon as i see new stuff coming out, if you have any questions about that game i'm your buddé!!

the SJG forums is ^_^pretty too ¨o¨

LCF = 57 + 3!!!

13 man on the field IS a penalty!!!!!(10 yards, automatic 1st down)

A match can never be ended on a defensive penalty!!!
CKorfmann
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Pigs are meeple too!

Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 08:45:16 PM »

That's great because I had a few questions.  I'd like to start playing, but I'm not sure what all to get.  I asked the question on BGG and got some good answers though. 

Anyway, I was thinking of getting the base game and going from there with a few of the expansions.  I'm not too interested in the spin-offs at this point.  Are there some expansions that are a must or some that are not important?  I'll probably definitely get the expansions that add races/classes.

Flee the fleas!
Purity
Vassal

Merit: 4

Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 03:36:43 AM »

...i pre-order EVERYTHING from the W23 as soon as i see new stuff coming out...

...means you might have most of the english promocards twice, right? :-) that might come in handy for me as i have all the german promocards and am now on the search for the english ones :-)
Deatheux
Marquis

Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 06:47:09 AM »

That's great because I had a few questions.  I'd like to start playing, but I'm not sure what all to get.  I asked the question on BGG and got some good answers though. 

Anyway, I was thinking of getting the base game and going from there with a few of the expansions.  I'm not too interested in the spin-offs at this point.  Are there some expansions that are a must or some that are not important?  I'll probably definitely get the expansions that add races/classes.

what i can suggest to you, if you starts with the original set(aka fantasy) go with the sequel, core + 2(unnatural axe, then 3 clerical error, etc...). the one that you can skip is the #6(demented dungeons) this adds a optionnal way to play, and you can go with #7(cheat with bith hands) instead of getting the dungeons.

after for the others core sets, it all depends of your interests and preferences, but i guess that you'll got the munchkin illness!!!

LCF = 57 + 3!!!

Deatheux
Marquis

Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 06:49:14 AM »

...i pre-order EVERYTHING from the W23 as soon as i see new stuff coming out...

...means you might have most of the english promocards twice, right? :-) that might come in handy for me as i have all the german promocards and am now on the search for the english ones :-)

i got many promos since 2010, the day i stop to buy in local stores due to the facts that there were not offering promos(who's the jerk)?? i pay less for the merch and i add some promos!!(plus the exchange rate who is a good deal for $C vs US$.

LCF = 57 + 3!!!

MrBlu
Vassal

Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2011, 08:25:45 AM »

I'm the same here; I have just about everything you can buy in the store.  I pick and choose the W23 exclusives.  I scored tons of stuff at Gen Con this weekend, the new jumbo dice, the Conan booster pack, and the new Santa monsters booster pack, oh and Munchkin Zombies 2.  Good stuff.

Korff, I would say start with what your favorite is.  There is a pirate themed set, a "star wars-ish" set, comic book set, Cthulhu, monster movie, kung fu, spy, western and then fantasy.  They all play the same and interact so you don't HAVE to buy one before the other.  Fantasy is the most popular with the most stuff, followed by Cthulhu, but Munking Zombies was just release. If you were going to start, pick the one that most appeals to you and just buy the core set.  If you pick fantasy, I would buy the deluxe edition.  I saw it at Gen Con but I'm not sure if it is out for public yet.  If you buy any of the fantasy sets, you HAVE to make sure they are the color versions; which they will say.  They went back and re-released the entire fantasy set with full color art and the most updated set of rules.  The other sets got updated, but it was only a few cards here or there.

Also, the sweet spot for us seems to be three players, maybe four.  Five really starts dragging and six people can take lots of time.  The basics are easy, but the strategy takes time. 

I also agree that the SJG games board is awesome.  I've met Andrew and he's great.  Him and Erik answer all the rules questions on the board and are pretty nice guys.  It is a SUPER nice resource.

Also, I'm pretty sure BGG has a generaly disdain for Munchkin so that board might be biased on their answers...lol...
CKorfmann
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Pigs are meeple too!

Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2011, 12:44:33 PM »

Thanks for the info.  Someone else suggested the Deluxe set.  Can you tell me what's in there?

Flee the fleas!
MrBlu
Vassal

Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2011, 02:07:23 PM »

It has all of the cards the same as the normal set.  It has a set of six Munchkin Pawns.  There's a card to denote what sex you are; there are curses in the game that make you change sex and have a one time negative effect on combat.  There is a game board with it (that I don't have grumble grumble) and it is used as a scoring track from level 1 to level 10.  It also has places to set the door and treasure draw pile and discard piles.  If I were new, I'd get it before the normal set.  The pawns are about $6 by themselves, and the original set is like $25 so that's $31, and I think the deluxe set should be $35 so you're getting the board and cheat sheets for roughly $4. 

Here's a link: http://www.worldofmunchkin.com/deluxe/
CKorfmann
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Pigs are meeple too!

Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2011, 05:37:25 PM »

Expansion #8 is here.  It was there when I was looking at the site the other day.
http://www.worldofmunchkin.com/halfhorse/

Flee the fleas!
MrBlu
Vassal

Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2011, 06:34:30 PM »

They had a play test version of 8 at Gen Con.  It was just papers printed with text in card protectors...lol...
I can't wait for that to come out...it has two new races!  They also had a play test version of The Good, The Bad 2.  Both of those will be out next year.
CKorfmann
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Pigs are meeple too!

Awards
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2011, 06:37:06 PM »

Next year?  I guess I didn't realize that.  I thought they'd be out soon.

Flee the fleas!
Deatheux
Marquis

Awards
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2011, 09:22:19 AM »

what is the powers of the centaur and the lizard guy??

LCF = 57 + 3!!!

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: