Mini-Expansion: Marketplaces
Carcassonne Central
March 28, 2024, 02:55:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: THESE FORUMS HAVE BEEN REPLACED. PLEASE GO TO THE NEW FORUMS: http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/

Home   Help Search Staff List Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Mini-Expansion: Marketplaces  (Read 12954 times)
Scott
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Merit: 45

WWW Awards
« on: August 17, 2011, 07:04:30 PM »

A discussion in the Rules forum inspired me to create this mini-expansion with a scoring mechanic for farms which is similar to pennants in cities.

If a city which contains one or more marketplaces is completed, then any adjacent farmer scores an additional point for that completed city. However, if such a city has not been completed at the end of the game, any adjacent farmer scores no points for that particular city.

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?1eauqw7ygswb5kr

CKorfmann
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Merit: 32

Pigs are meeple too!

Awards
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 07:13:09 PM »

Way to crank one out!  A pretty good little expansion too.  There will probably be a few people who don't want more CCCC tiles, I like the tile and I think it will work well.

Flee the fleas!
Carcking
Authors
Marquis

Merit: 8

I call Red!

WWW Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 08:01:20 AM »

I would prefer to see it nestled outside a city wall - so that it actually resides on the farm. Then only the one farm gets the benefit, and the city is unaffected. Another way would be at a three-way or four-way road junction - so that it straddles the roads and hits multiple farms - kind of like Villages.
Just my 2 cents.

Who's your favorite? Knight, Thief, Farmer or Monk?

Find CC Fanspansions Here
CKorfmann
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Pigs are meeple too!

Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 08:15:21 AM »

It makes sense to me.  Like a farmer's market in the city.  Maybe that is a better name? 

Flee the fleas!
Scott
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Merit: 45

WWW Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 02:25:24 PM »

I would prefer to see it nestled outside a city wall - so that it actually resides on the farm. Then only the one farm gets the benefit, and the city is unaffected. Another way would be at a three-way or four-way road junction - so that it straddles the roads and hits multiple farms - kind of like Villages.
Just my 2 cents.

I'm no historian, but having a marketplace outside the city feels wrong somehow. I do find the idea of the market applying to only one farm very intruging, however, considering it's only worth 1 extra point, I think it's better that it applies to all adjacent farms. (Also considering that multiple players can shares cathedral/city points, but each farm has only one farmer, so allowing a marketplace to be scored by multiple farms balances better I think.)

It makes sense to me.  Like a farmer's market in the city.  Maybe that is a better name? 

Theoretically a marketplace could have sellers whose goods do not come from a farm, but if anybody wants to call them farmer's markets at their house I won't be offended. From an official standpoint, they should probably just be called markets, since that is the term from the Count expansion. If I'm going to rename this, I should probably rename it Markets.

Carcking
Authors
Marquis

Merit: 8

I call Red!

WWW Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 02:56:29 PM »

I kinda like the name Marketplaces. Has more of a ring to it.

Who's your favorite? Knight, Thief, Farmer or Monk?

Find CC Fanspansions Here
Joff
Authors
Chatelain

Merit: 30

I play yellow... usually

WWW Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2011, 12:13:07 PM »

Great expansion idea.

Way to crank one out!  A pretty good little expansion too.  There will probably be a few people who don't want more CCCC tiles, I like the tile and I think it will work well.
This does not have to be on a CCCC tile at all. This would work quite well on a CFFF tile, such as the tile included in my Orders of Chivalry, where the city is like a pointed wizards hat, splitting the tile into 2 farms.
CKorfmann
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Pigs are meeple too!

Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2011, 02:40:16 PM »

I was thinking there was already a fanspansion with the name Marketplace (Market Commons expansion), but it turns out that they are called Farmer's Market.  Go figure.  Looks like Market Place would be best.

Flee the fleas!
neosatan
Nobleman

Merit: 5

Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2011, 02:51:38 PM »

Quite nice expansion. I was wondering... since it add one point scored by farmers (I assume that by barns also), when city is besieged is it scored for a 8 points ((3+1)x2), or 7(3x2+1) points? There is only 2 marketplaces and they give little points... Maybe some tweeks to rules? I was thinking... Mayby marketplace could give points equal to connected cities with city that contains marketplace?
GAKDragon
Villein

Merit: 2

WWW Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2011, 07:50:16 PM »

when city is besieged is it scored for a 8 points ((3+1)x2), or 7(3x2+1) points?

If the marketplace is within the city walls, then the extra point should only be for the city, not the siege encampment (7 points). 

If it's outside the city walls, or right along the city walls, then it should get an extra point for the city, AND an extra point for the siege camp - same reasoning why normal farms score for both city and siege camp (8 points). 
neosatan
Nobleman

Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2011, 01:38:56 AM »

Ok. Now You have messed up my mind. I thought that you get twice points for besieged city (even when a farm does not have connection with siege camp), and the encampment do does not score any points.
GAKDragon
Villein

WWW Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2011, 04:07:48 PM »

You bring up a good point.  The CAR states: 
The farmers supply provisions to both the besiegers and the besieged. As such, every completed besieged city scores double points in relation to farms—6 points for a normal farm, or 8 points for a farm with a pig.

As it doesn't mention anything regarding if the farm has to be connected to the camp (not even in the footnotes), I suppose you would score the Marketplace bonus in the same fashion as the pig bonus. 

So a farmer would score 3 points for the city + 1 extra point for the marketplace, and 3 points for the siege camp + 1 extra point for the marketplace = 8 points [with one pig or pig-herd tile on the farm, this would be 10 points, and if the farm contained both pig & pig-herd tile, would score 12 points]. 

However, there is also a good argument that could be made that the bonus for the Marketplace can only be scored once per farm, since the Marketplace lies within the city.  The pig bonus is attached to the farm, therefore affecting the score of every feature associated with that farm.  The point can be made that the Marketplace is part of the city, and therefore only affects the score of the city (which would bring us back to 7 points).
neosatan
Nobleman

Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2011, 08:33:22 AM »

7 point scoring don't seems like a good idea. If you consider that army laying siege on city would not allow to trade. So maybe city under siege should not recive bonus point?
GAKDragon
Villein

WWW Awards
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2011, 04:10:28 PM »

If you take the view that the army laying siege wouldn't allow trade, then how would the farmer ever score the city for the normal 3 points (which is stated in the Official rules for the Cathars/Siege expansions)? 

From the rules:  The farmers supply provisions to both the besiegers and the besieged. As such, every completed besieged city scores double points in relation to farms
neosatan
Nobleman

Awards
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2011, 05:27:27 AM »

I have readed the rules (original and fanmade exp) again and again, and I didn't found any machanics (ok, seasons have something like that) that would add points after determining the multipler. I would guess that multiplier from siege/cathars is last thing that you do when determining the farmers score for city. So I would go with 8 point for besieged city with marketplace.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: