How to make PDF files
Carcassonne Central
March 28, 2024, 07:45:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: THESE FORUMS HAVE BEEN REPLACED. PLEASE GO TO THE NEW FORUMS: http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/

Home   Help Search Staff List Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to make PDF files  (Read 7998 times)
kmitty
Vagabond

Merit: 0

Awards
« on: August 21, 2011, 12:04:35 PM »

What do people use to create the tile pdf files for the various expansions?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 05:11:53 PM by Scott » Logged
Scott
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Merit: 45

WWW Awards
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 02:16:13 PM »

I previously used Adobe Distiller, which is part of Adobe Acrobat Professional, but that costs money.

Since I upgraded to Microsoft Office 2010, I've been having color matching problems using Adobe Distiller, so I've been just saving as PDF directly from Word 2010 itself.

Here are some free PDF creation tools:
http://www.pdfforge.org/
http://www.cutepdf.com/products/cutepdf/writer.asp

kmitty
Vagabond

Merit: 0

Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 03:01:37 AM »

Scott,

Thanks for the reply, yes have in the past used a few pdf print drivers and as you say Word can save directly to pdf. I've been doing some tiles in Photoshop Elements and that too can save as pdf. The reason for my post was that in most of the expansion pdf downloads the tiles appear as if they are in a 'push out' frame such as the ones real physical tiles arrive in. Each individual tile image is selectable in Adobe reader while the frame is not (fortunate as I cut/copy the tile images to Photoshop to fiddle and get a better colour match). I was curious as to how the pdf was created with selectable tile images and a non-selectable frame - sounds like it might need Distiller. If that's the case and someone comes up with new tiles images, does some kind soul in this group produce the pdf?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 03:03:54 AM by kmitty » Logged
Scott
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Merit: 45

WWW Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011, 06:31:10 AM »

I've never seen anything like that, but then I don't have time to look at everybody's stuff either. If I had to guess, I would say that the frame is a background image and the tile images are placed in the foreground. A bit of a pain to do in Word, but Publisher might be easier to achieve this in.

CKorfmann
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Merit: 32

Pigs are meeple too!

Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2011, 02:42:30 PM »

Novelty showed me a file called PDF Redirect.  I used that once and don't remember much about it, but it seemed pretty easy.

Flee the fleas!
Trebuchet
Authors
Nobleman

Merit: 6

Metal Meepler

Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 05:24:03 AM »

the few tiles i've been able to make I made with adobe Photoshop, based on templates borrowed from (i don't know hich one) fan made expansion high res. PDF. The pushout frame looks great, but has proofed to be useless to me; The other day I made the 62 Fishermen tiles and for the best result i had to print them on 103% to get rid of black lines on my tiles. Works like a charm, they look really great.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: