BixCON III
Carcassonne Central
April 20, 2024, 06:46:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: THESE FORUMS HAVE BEEN REPLACED. PLEASE GO TO THE NEW FORUMS: http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/

Home   Help Search Staff List Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BixCON III  (Read 10235 times)
Bixby
Count

Merit: 12

Guinness is Goodness

Awards
« on: February 12, 2012, 07:26:01 PM »

Because there is a lot of discussion about other games on the site I thought I would share my next weekend activity. Smiley

With humble beginnings, this event started in 2009 as an idea to have a few friends gather for a weekend of gaming goodness. We wanted a spark of fun and frivolity in the long winter month of February. The response to this event has been amazing and Kathy & I are honored to host an event where friends come together to share in some fun and laughs. This is our third annual event and we are looking forward to gathering with friends.

Attendee Name Badge:

The "play with your food" motto is for a series of Charity events I am running to raise money and food for regional food banks and rescue missions. The idea is to have everyone contribute and we make a donation on behalf o the boardgame community. (Trying to do some good and raise the profile of boardgames).

My KARMA ran over your DOGMA
CKorfmann
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Merit: 32

Pigs are meeple too!

Awards
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 08:02:16 PM »

That sounds great man.  Looks like it will be a lot of fun.  I just have one question.  Do you think three hours will be enough time for a Mega Carc game?  Wink

Flee the fleas!
Bixby
Count

Guinness is Goodness

Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 08:23:13 PM »

That sounds great man.  Looks like it will be a lot of fun.  I just have one question.  Do you think three hours will be enough time for a Mega Carc game?  Wink

Ha ha ha - Point taken. (We will randomly pull out 1/2 the tiles). Cheesy

Carcking
Authors
Marquis

Merit: 8

I call Red!

WWW Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 09:02:17 AM »

Wow Bixby - this looks awesome! I envy you for having such a supporting group.

My brother and I had toyed with the idea of putting on a weekend boardgame convention with victory points awarded for each win (possibly weighted by such factors as difficulty level, amount of points separation, number of players, duration, etc.). And then award a trophy at the end. We have the desire but not the support. We couldn't pull enough people together to do it. Not sure where you're from but I wish it was close by.

I love the cherity concept! Cudos!

Who's your favorite? Knight, Thief, Farmer or Monk?

Find CC Fanspansions Here
Bixby
Count

Guinness is Goodness

Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 09:30:33 AM »

Thanks.

I have always been a group organizer for various events. When my love of boardgaming took off in full swing, it was only a fitting progression for me to organize a small gaming convention.

Here is some information about starting and growing a gaming group. You may find it helpful...
http://boardgamegeek.com/blog/148/thoughts-on-creating-and-growing-a-gaming-group

(if you read it, start at the bottom and work up. It is in a Blog Format with the oldest posts first).

By the way: I am in Saskatchewan (Canada). Where are you?

Carcking
Authors
Marquis

Merit: 8

I call Red!

WWW Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 01:40:58 PM »

By the way: I am in Saskatchewan (Canada). Where are you?

About 2,000 miles from there. New York state. I'll have to wait for the weekend report.  Cheesy

Who's your favorite? Knight, Thief, Farmer or Monk?

Find CC Fanspansions Here
CKorfmann
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Pigs are meeple too!

Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 02:53:11 PM »

So besides the Carcassonne game, how did it go?

Flee the fleas!
Bixby
Count

Guinness is Goodness

Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 03:05:12 PM »

Fantastic Weekend. Still need to get caught up on my rest. Hope to get a full CON report done up in a few days. Very enjoyable.

Great friends + Great Games + Great Beer  = Awesome Weekend.

Trebuchet
Authors
Nobleman

Merit: 6

Metal Meepler

Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 04:30:13 PM »

Wow that's fantastic! I can imagine this is an event to look forward to! And for charity as well, two thumbs up!
Bixby
Count

Guinness is Goodness

Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 05:03:14 PM »

Post CON Report is now up. Smiley

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/134579/bixcon-iii-post-con-review

Scott
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Merit: 45

WWW Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2012, 07:59:42 PM »

Thanks for the review. I've been thinking about doing something like this some day and it helps to know the details. Lately I've been meeting a lot of people locally who enjoy board games but don't get to play much. It made me think that somebody should start a group, and I suspect that somebody will have to be me or nobody will do it.

Bixby
Count

Guinness is Goodness

Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2012, 08:17:33 PM »

Thanks for the review. I've been thinking about doing something like this some day and it helps to know the details. Lately I've been meeting a lot of people locally who enjoy board games but don't get to play much. It made me think that somebody should start a group, and I suspect that somebody will have to be me or nobody will do it.

I like being the group organizer. I guess it really helps that we have a great group of friends. It took awhile to grow the group, but it sure has paid off. Lots of fun and laughs. Good luck with your efforts.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 11:03:15 AM by Bixby » Logged

CKorfmann
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Pigs are meeple too!

Awards
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2012, 10:28:33 AM »

Thanks again for the report, merit for you!  Cheesy

Flee the fleas!
Pages: [1]