A peek into the world of professional magician, David Lemezmer
Carcassonne Central
March 28, 2024, 06:02:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: THESE FORUMS HAVE BEEN REPLACED. PLEASE GO TO THE NEW FORUMS: http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/

Home   Help Search Staff List Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A peek into the world of professional magician, David Lemezmer  (Read 8604 times)
Joff
Authors
Chatelain

Merit: 30

I play yellow... usually

WWW Awards
« on: April 09, 2012, 12:51:42 PM »

Well, most of you know a little about me on here, but I wonder if you knew that I am a keen amateur magician, and have been into magic on and off since I was a young boy. Anyway, I have performed magic at children's birthday parties and have regularly performed at church events. However, recently another 'magician' has sprung up that has caught my attention. I went to see him perform on Valentine's evening and I wrote a review of his performance (if you have me on Facebook, then you might have already read about him). Before I continue, let me repost my review here (posted to Facebook 17 February):

Valentine's night was a big night for bumbling magician David Lemezmer. It was his first repeat booking and he's now convinced that he's finally made it into the big-time. His name will at last be up there with all the greats - Derren Brown, David Blaine and Paul Daniels... or so he thinks...

Fresh from a very special and prestigious 'for one night only' event for the Rotary Club (the gig was actually supposed to run for one week, but David was dropped after the first night, being replaced by the act 'One Man and His Dog'), he was disappointed with the non-appearance of Paul Daniels at the Valentine's night show - you'd think that Paul would offer him the professional courtesy of attending as David performed his big-time debut (after all, David is going to see Paul perform in a week's time).

Like most magicians, David's magic is covered by a magician's insurance policy - should a trick go wrong, it pays out a sum of money to any spectator who is assisting with the trick. However, David's premiums have sky-rocketed - he blames the weakness of the Pound against the Dollar, and the failing Euro, but Wandwise insurance insist that the amount they are paying out on his claims is far in excess of what they expect from a performing professional magician...

I was lucky enough (or is that unlucky enough?) to have been present to see this magician perform, and he was truly awful. His opening card trick just did not work - luckily his Insurance Policy got him out of this tight spot... again; his Torn and Restored Newspaper trick was unique in that the newspaper that he tore into pieces, did not restore - the paper just scattered all over the floor, and for his finale, after he'd explained, "when performing a live magic show for an audience, anything can happen. At least on TV you have the chance to iron out any errors", he brought out a Victorian Greengrocer's Vegetable Slicer, in which he put a spectators arm - the look of absolute terror on her face was excruciating for the audience - fortunately this trick worked on the night... but when David tested it three days earlier, he was not so lucky - he spent four hours in the casualty department of his local hospital!

I actually feel for the guy - he has issues, granted - but he really could do with a fan base. If you care to follow him on Facebook, please do so: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003553094821

He also has an ongoing blog, which really needs followers/advertising (he wants to enlarge his readership): http://lemezmers-life.blogspot.co.uk/

Come on, lets get him a few followers - particularly of his blog Wink

Please pass along his blog address on and recommend it to others, post to your Facebook page/Twitter feeds, etc., it really will help make all the difference. Cheers Smiley It really needs some followers to make it worthwhile.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 03:56:34 PM by Joff » Logged
Joff
Authors
Chatelain

I play yellow... usually

WWW Awards
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 11:41:40 PM »

By the way, just in case you're still in the dark, David Lemezmer is me Wink
Carcking
Authors
Marquis

Merit: 8

I call Red!

WWW Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 03:23:50 AM »

Ah, now that you say that the similarity is uncanny  Cheesy

Who's your favorite? Knight, Thief, Farmer or Monk?

Find CC Fanspansions Here
Scott
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Merit: 45

WWW Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 05:16:05 PM »

That explains some things, but also creates more questions. Are you actually booking yourself out as a magician and being terrible at it is part of your persona? To what extent are the blog posts fictitious? Were you actually on Britain's Got Talent?

Joff
Authors
Chatelain

I play yellow... usually

WWW Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 11:47:50 PM »

OK, actually difficult to explain, as I have to step out of character to do so! So, stepping out of character, the only bookings I have ever had as David have been for church events (Christmas; Valentines; Easter) - so the Valentines night 'review' is what really happened - if you forgive me writing as a spectator Wink. Any other booking is fictitious, and it is part of the 'joke'. I have never appeared on Britain's Got Talent, and if David had, he would have probably lasted 103 seconds Wink The blog posts are part of the joke and are meant to be funny, as long as you take the character as real - it doesn't work if David is me! There is no such act as 'One Man and His Dog', although if there was, he would have probably upstaged David and been better than him. Some of the jokes, especially the early blog posts, tie in with his appearances at the church events. For example - at the Valentines night performance, David insisted that as part of his entrance (he's just hit the big-time) that an introductory Powerpoint was presented - this started with the Pearl and Dean introduction and a couple of ads. It then went into a movie trailer (as if you were at a cinema). What then happened is that the Universal logo played on screen, but when the words come around the globe, they said 'David Lemezmer Productions' instead of 'Universal Productions'. Finally, there was mysterious music and his name came up 'David Lemezmer - Seeing is Believing'. The blog post about legal action being taken by Universal Studios is a joke that was set up from this introduction (as is the Pearl and Dean joke). You will read that David was 'booked' three times for non-existent birthday parties, which is a set up for the April Fools Day fiasco (in which David mistakenly thinks a genuine booking is an April Fools prank). The character and his 'world' is completely fictitious (except for the church bookings - this is his place to 'shine').

His bumbling persona is part of the act - I wanted to do a character that was a 'not very good' magician, but not in the vein of Tommy Cooper. I enjoy 'out of his depth' comedy and so I opted for this as part of David's character.  His magic does go right sometimes. On the Valentines night performance the first 2 tricks going 'wrong', is mainly the comedy build up for the Arm Chopper - if you believe that David is not very good and his first tricks have gone wrong, why should you expect anything less with the Arm Chopper Wink. It makes the trick even more funny, and you have the bonus that the trick actually works... although as the frightened genuine spectator sat with her hand in the Arm Chopper waiting for David to push the blade through, he rolled up his sleeve and revealed his bandages from his accident with it a few days before! The reaction is priceless!

I have had genuine offers with David. As well as the repeat church events (what David was created for in the first place), I have been asked if I would do a wedding, a children's birthday party and a fun day, but my biggest offer has been for a war veterans dinner and dance (for The Bridge for Heroes - a local charity akin to Help for Heroes). However, so far I have refused these gigs, mainly on the basis that David is not quite developed as a character at present and he still needs 'work' (if you pardon the pun). I hope this helps you gain a little insight into his world!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 11:40:26 AM by Joff » Logged
Joff
Authors
Chatelain

I play yellow... usually

WWW Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 12:03:26 AM »

One other thing, Paul Daniels, after reading the blog, said to me (from Twitter, and I quote), "Thank God I didn't become the magician he is. Smiley", which made me chuckle - I got quite a few hits on the blog that day!
Scott
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Merit: 45

WWW Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 06:58:20 AM »

Thanks, that explains everything. Pretty cool that Paul Daniels heard and commented about Lemezmer; I grew up watching the Paul Daniel's Magic Show and he was always my favorite magician.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: