Expansion pack survey
Carcassonne Central
April 26, 2024, 11:17:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: THESE FORUMS HAVE BEEN REPLACED. PLEASE GO TO THE NEW FORUMS: http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/

Home   Help Search Staff List Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Expansion pack survey  (Read 10981 times)
jackdaddyt
Cottager

Merit: 0

Awards
« on: April 27, 2008, 03:23:20 PM »

When it came time to expand your Carcassonne game;

In what order did you buy your expansion packs?

In what order do you WISH you had bought your expansion packs?

How did you decide the order in which you bought the packs?

What did you do with the boxes the packs came in?

I have owned Carc for a little over a month, and just bought Inns & Cathedrals.  I want to maximize my purchasing power.  I bought this one based on the "Favorite Expansion" in the poll section.

No matter where you go, there you are.
All who wander are not lost.
Diminuendo
Cottager

Awards
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 03:55:46 PM »

I have bought the expansions when they were released, and don't wish I had bought them in any other order. There hasn't really been much of a decision in which order to buy them apart from my wanting to have them as soon as possible.

I threw away the boxes, tucking everything into the regular Carcassonne box.
Joff
Authors
Chatelain

Merit: 30

I play yellow... usually

WWW Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 11:42:48 PM »

My first expansion was Inns and Cathedrals. This was followed by the River II and The Count of Carcassonne (both bought at the same time, but I do not use The Count Smiley ). Following this purchase was Traders and Builders. I kept all the boxes. I then sold my basic Carc set, Inns and Cathedrals and Traders and Builders and bought the HiG Big Box as this was more economical. After getting this I bought expansions as they were released.

I wish I had purchased the Big Box in the first place, but I didn't realise what a great game Carc is!

Since getting Count, King and Consorts (The HiG realease), I have sold my original Count and River II.

Smiley
Scott
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Merit: 45

WWW Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 07:53:48 AM »

I bought the base game, I&C, T&B, King, Count, P&D, River II, and Tower all at the same time. I think this was before the Big Box was available. I since bought GQ11 and A&M from the same shop. My decision-making process was that I would want to eventually have everything, so why delay the inevitable? It costs money to drive to the store, so buying in bulk saves money on fuel.

Everything is in their original boxes, all lined up on a shelf in order of release. I think I also have the tile grids in a bag somewhere. Couldn't bring myself to throw them out.

Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Merit: 49

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 07:58:27 AM »

I purchased the one with Rivers, then the one with the bag T&B, then Count/K&S/Rivers2 & I&C at the same time, then GQ11 and finally Towers.  Still waiting for A&M to show up here.  Not too sure about P&D.  Don't have Cathars Sad  I have never played with the Count though.

Gantry
Administrator
Chatelain

Merit: 20

taken

WWW Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 08:51:36 AM »

After owning the base Carc for a very short time, I bought all the expansions at the time I could get my hands on separately.  I didn't know there was a big box edition until well after. If I had known, I would have bought big box.

Like Scott, everything is on a Carc shelf! I do woodworking, and when my workload decreases later this year (okay, double that?) I'm going to build myself my own wooden Carc box (I will be sure to post pics!)

Have ideas for Carc Central?  PM me!
Wishmaster
Count

Merit: 4

I've got Purple Meeples!

WWW Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 05:18:27 AM »

Bought Carc inc River expansion after playing a game at a friends house. A few weeks after that I ordered a job lot from eBay that contained all the expansions up to and inc Tower and the three little boxes - as it was from USA it took about two months to reach me! I then got The Cathars (and Almanac) from spielbox and the mini expansion with GQ mag from an eBay seller. My wife bought me Abbey & Mayor for my Birthday. Local games shop got in stock ahead of most others. I've also bought a set of Purple Meeples but would like to get hold of the extra ones in purple if only someone could provide!

All sets are in their original boxes - The little boxes and purple meeps are inside the main game box. I've made boxes for GQ and Cathars also.

On top of that lot, I've bought all the stand alone games. Hunters and Discovery from eBay, The Castle (best one!) from the local games shop and City was another Birthday surprise. All the games sit on shelves in my study.

I'll be buying new RG expansion as it has more for me than the HiG version. However, I'm more excited about the 'New World' stand alone game and will be after that as soon as it appears. The new spielbox HiG almanac will be aquired on release.

To my knowledge the only bit I'm missing is Ark of the Covenant - Not an easy one to grab, but I will one day!

At the moment I see no real reason to get the Big Box. The only advantage seems to be the shadowed set markers on the cards. I can live without paying for it all again just for those - Instead I downloaded and printed tile set jpegs and placed in each box.

If you want the fullest view.... My daughter has a 'Got Meeples' sweatshirt plus a set of Meeple earings and neclace... and a 'Power to the Meeple' mousemat.

OK. Now lock me up!!  Grin Grin

Time for one more daring dream...
sirgab
Vagabond

Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 07:21:03 AM »

I bought the basic game just so the wife and I could have a two player game.  We loved it so I ordered every expansion set available about a month later for her birthday.  We do not have the Count or the Cathars.

We only added one expansion at a time to keep us from getting overwhelmed with the changes.  I like all the expansions but I do not thing the King or Robber Baron should be worth thirty or forty points at the end of the game.

Hey, I just made my first post Smiley
Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Merit: 49

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008, 07:53:41 AM »

Welcome to Carc Central sirgab!  Eventhough I bought a bunch of the expansions, I only played them one at a time as well so that things didn't get too overwhelmed.

jackdaddyt
Cottager

Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2008, 08:07:00 AM »

Wishmaster,

Is the Ark of the Covenant a hard pack to find?  if a store local to me has one, should I grab it before it's gone?

No matter where you go, there you are.
All who wander are not lost.
O.M.S.
Freeman

Merit: 3

Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2008, 08:21:53 AM »

... Is the Ark of the Covenant a hard pack to find? ...
http://cgi.ebay.com/THE-ARK-OF-THE-COVENANT-Carcassonne-bible-board-game_W0QQitemZ140197692024QQihZ004QQcategoryZ235QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1713.m153.l1262
Wishmaster
Count

Merit: 4

I've got Purple Meeples!

WWW Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2008, 10:17:41 AM »

Ark: When I say hard to find, that was a bit generalised. It's easy enough to get if you go looking but it doesn't ever pop up in shops in the UK and you don't see it on UK eBay that often.
Thanks for the link. Trouble is with getting it from the US is that the P&P ends up being more than the game, and I'm simply not prepared to get into that.
As far as I'm aware it's not that different a game than Carc so I'm not in a hurry for it.

OK - Off topic, enough of that..... Answer the survey question people!!  Grin

Time for one more daring dream...
Scott
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Merit: 45

WWW Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2008, 11:56:17 AM »

Eventhough I bought a bunch of the expansions, I only played them one at a time as well so that things didn't get too overwhelmed.

Ditto. We only learn one at a time, and when introducing the game to new players, we drop back down to the base game. Consequentially, I have never played A&M, Tower, P&D, River II, or Cathars. Last time I played we added the Count for the first time, and I haven't played since. That was last August. Sad

If you're looking for Ark of the Covenant, you might want to try the Christian bookstores in your area.

Foxman
Cottager

Merit: 1

Awards
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2008, 03:21:28 PM »

Just bought the main game (with the river). I want ALL the expansions Wink Time and budget will see about that however.

I'd really like to get the GQ11 expansion though! The road on the river looks like a great idea!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: