Facebook and Carcassonne
Carcassonne Central
April 25, 2024, 07:38:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: THESE FORUMS HAVE BEEN REPLACED. PLEASE GO TO THE NEW FORUMS: http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/

Home   Help Search Staff List Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Facebook and Carcassonne  (Read 42599 times)
Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Merit: 49

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« on: July 01, 2008, 06:41:38 AM »

Anyone here on Facebook?  If you are, did you join the carc groups there?

mjharper
Administrator
Baron

Merit: 25

WWW Awards
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 06:48:49 AM »

Boo! Hiss! Facebook!

I'm sure Facebook is really a cool place. I just want nothing to do with it.  Wink

Currently residing in the 'Where are they now?' file.
Deatheux
Marquis

Merit: 2

Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 09:08:43 AM »

i'm not on facebook, and for sure never will!!!

LCF = 57 + 3!!!

13 man on the field IS a penalty!!!!!(10 yards, automatic 1st down)

A match can never be ended on a defensive penalty!!!
Gantry
Administrator
Chatelain

Merit: 20

taken

WWW Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 02:46:50 PM »

I am completely anti-facebook, for a myriad of reasons.

Have ideas for Carc Central?  PM me!
mjharper
Administrator
Baron

WWW Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 02:54:19 PM »

Crikey, this is really turning into The League of Facebook-Haters. I'm almost (almost Wink) sorry I started it.

Seriously people. If anyone is on Facebook, I'm sure it would be good to let others know. Don't be worried that the cool people around here don't hang out there. We won't think any less of you if you admit to doing so.

Honest. Green smile angel

Gantry
Administrator
Chatelain

taken

WWW Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2008, 03:17:10 PM »

I gave this some further thought, and noticed Matt's follow up.  One thing I want to add is that although I'm not a facebook person, that doesn't mean I'm against anyone else getting involved with it nor am I at all against any member mentioning Carc Central etc. I have no problem with it at all. In fact if someone wants to mention of site or refer people here, who am I to argue?  Cheesy

denalin
Vagabond

Merit: 0

Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 12:39:35 AM »

I'm on Facebook, I haven't joined any groups based around the game.  But now that you mention it, maybe I could find some local players to play consistently with!

To all the Facebook-haters, I'd just like to know what your beef is with the website (aka, why do you dislike/avoid it?).
mjharper
Administrator
Baron

WWW Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 01:20:57 AM »

I do hope that everyone realises that my last post was trying to lighten the atmosphere  Smiley

Briefly, what do I dislike about Facebook?
  • The whole set-up is too cloying for my taste. I don't like the tone of the place.
  • The company is not exactly renowned for good business practice.
  • Too many nice surprises like your mother's ex-husband trying to add you as a friend.
  • It's a walled garden, as far as I can see. Looks nice, but difficult to get out of. And that's why it's so horrendously over-valued by the market—the users are considered to be a captive audience, and perfect targets for advertising.
Bear in mind that I have sworn repeatedly that I will never read or watch anything concerning Harry Potter.

So I'd be curious to hear from othe people too, to see if anyone has anything more specific than my general distaste.

canada steve
Global Moderator
Marquis

Merit: 7

Forum Moderator

Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2008, 04:09:09 AM »

I joined up on Facebook anout 2 weeks ago (I dont care Im not cool  Bootyshake) it is ok if you use it for what it is intended which is a contacts site. I have looked up and been looked up by old friends and have renewed a freindship that should never have slipped a few years back.

Yes I can see Matts standpoint, there are lots of advertising/marketing ploys on there, but if you know what you are doing then you wont get caught. And if your mates mum that you used to have a crush on does try to add you as a friend just dont accept it, simple really.

Cheers

Canada Steve
Deatheux
Marquis

Merit: 2

Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2008, 04:30:54 AM »

I joined up on Facebook anout 2 weeks ago (I dont care Im not cool  Bootyshake) it is ok if you use it for what it is intended which is a contacts site. I have looked up and been looked up by old friends and have renewed a freindship that should never have slipped a few years back.

Yes I can see Matts standpoint, there are lots of advertising/marketing ploys on there, but if you know what you are doing then you wont get caught. And if your mates mum that you used to have a crush on does try to add you as a friend just dont accept it, simple really.

oh mother!

But, di facebook is a losind time devise, grinding keyboard & spam overwelm??

these few points looks so boring!

LCF = 57 + 3!!!

13 man on the field IS a penalty!!!!!(10 yards, automatic 1st down)

A match can never be ended on a defensive penalty!!!
Bixby
Count

Merit: 12

Guinness is Goodness

Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2008, 07:07:40 AM »

I will offer my middle of the road stance here. I am a member of facebook and I too have reconnected with friends from days of yore. Life happens and you lose touch with people. I have lived in four separate Canadian Provinces and when you move around, it easy to lose contact with some friends, especially when many of my moves pre-date wide spread use of the internet. It was not as simple as "getting someone's email address".

Some of my friends use this as their main communication hub, so it has become the most effective way to interact with them. Not my preference, but I respect their choices.

There are many things that irritate me about facebook. The spammy nature of some applications. I do not install Funwall, Superwall, this, that, the other thing, the kitchen sink. It has become bloated with poorly designed apps. I keep my installs rather simple. I also do not join a lot of groups. Many of the groups increase your profile's exposure to hacking and other privacy issues. When something becomes as popular as facebook, it garners the attention of Corporate interests and hackers alike. I think a middle ground approach is best. At least, that is what is best for me.

To close off, I don't really agree with an above posting that reconnecting and keeping in touch with friends "is boring". To me, facebook is not a way of life, it is simply a tool. A tool that enhances communications with real life friends. When used for that purpose, I think it is quite effective.

Whatever your stance is, enjoy. 

Regards,
Matt
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 07:12:17 AM by Bixby » Logged

My KARMA ran over your DOGMA
Tobias
Global Moderator
Viscount

Merit: 9

The last cookie!

Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2008, 07:35:30 AM »

I am a member, and I have one of the previous guys who said he does not have facebook on my friends list. So  Bootyshake

Facebook is great - it is up to you how you want to use it. I have quite a few friends in USA, and while I do not really talk to them it is nice to have some of them at hand if need (or want) arises.

It is easy to ignore features and people. And it is great to have groups of people to talk to about whatever interests you might have.

Besides, I save rainforest every day!

Nature finds a way. Tobias finds two.
mjharper
Administrator
Baron

WWW Awards
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2008, 07:41:33 AM »

I am a member, and I have one of the previous guys who said he does not have facebook on my friends list. So  Bootyshake
Hope you don't mean me. I never said I didn't have an account, I said I disliked it. Having been invited to sign up by a friend, I did so, then decided it wasn't for me. So if you have me as listed as a friend there, you're wasting your time, I'm afraid  Wink

Tobias
Global Moderator
Viscount

Merit: 9

The last cookie!

Awards
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2008, 09:01:01 AM »

Hope you don't mean me. I never said I didn't have an account, I said I disliked it. Having been invited to sign up by a friend, I did so, then decided it wasn't for me. So if you have me as listed as a friend there, you're wasting your time, I'm afraid  Wink

I like inactive friends, they are not bothered by invites  Grin

Nature finds a way. Tobias finds two.
Gantry
Administrator
Chatelain

taken

WWW Awards
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2008, 09:46:34 AM »

To all the Facebook-haters, I'd just like to know what your beef is with the website (aka, why do you dislike/avoid it?).

Their privacy policy is a joke, and the safeguards for this information have proven multiple times to be ineffective. They are simply too cavalier with people's personal information. Thanks but no thanks. On the subject of staying in touch, people with whom I want to stay in touch with already have my telephone number and email address, those that don't aren't on that list. I don't need Facebook or Myspace to take the place of personal contact.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: