Expansions
Carcassonne Central
April 19, 2024, 07:00:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: THESE FORUMS HAVE BEEN REPLACED. PLEASE GO TO THE NEW FORUMS: http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/

Home   Help Search Staff List Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Expansions  (Read 19574 times)
Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Merit: 49

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2008, 07:17:40 PM »

Yay, I get named in Acknowledgements Smiley

I think all the variants in one document might be a bit too much.  I'd prefer to have each variant with its own document.  Then all the documents can be printed out as a compilation of sorts.

Bixby
Count

Merit: 12

Guinness is Goodness

Awards
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2008, 07:35:49 PM »

This is more of a question for Gantry and the admins:

Process for Variants to be included in a the CCCCC Compendium of Carcassonne Central Cool Customizations. (Variants).

(1) A member of CarcassonneCentral Forums recommends a variant to include in the CCCCC.
(2) Two other members support the recommendation for this variant to be included in the CCCCC document of Variants.
(3) The admins set up a poll to have members vote. There must be at least X votes to have a variant deemed worthy enough for inclusion.
(4) All variants with X votes get added to the CCCCC.

This is just a draft of the process, but I am curious to see if others see merit in this.

My KARMA ran over your DOGMA
Joff
Authors
Chatelain

Merit: 30

I play yellow... usually

WWW Awards
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2008, 10:59:44 AM »

OK, new version is up. Still just a draft. Some of the rules, especially Assassins need work, but as I said this is only to give an idea of how it would look. I'd like to persue a CC member authored variants section as well as those that CC members find are the best. Perhaps compile the best and then take a vote on them.

www.john-warren.co.uk/carcassonne/files/Variants_Guide_02_draft.pdf
Tassie
Vagabond

Merit: 0

Awards
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2008, 02:54:09 AM »

..., they are I believe already in the Variant database. ...

Where can I find this database? Looked everywhere but simply just can't find it here on the forum.
Joff
Authors
Chatelain

Merit: 30

I play yellow... usually

WWW Awards
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2008, 03:11:22 AM »

Go to the CC Homepage (by clicking here: www.carcassonnecentral.com). Then mouse over the Variant Registry menu. This will give options, such as List View, Detail View etc. Just click on the drop down menu you require Smiley
Tassie
Vagabond

Merit: 0

Awards
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2008, 03:16:01 AM »

Thanks!!!
Gantry
Administrator
Chatelain

Merit: 20

taken

WWW Awards
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2008, 03:47:23 PM »

This is more of a question for Gantry and the admins:

Process for Variants to be included in a the CCCCC Compendium of Carcassonne Central Cool Customizations. (Variants).

(1) A member of CarcassonneCentral Forums recommends a variant to include in the CCCCC.
(2) Two other members support the recommendation for this variant to be included in the CCCCC document of Variants.
(3) The admins set up a poll to have members vote. There must be at least X votes to have a variant deemed worthy enough for inclusion.
(4) All variants with X votes get added to the CCCCC.

This is just a draft of the process, but I am curious to see if others see merit in this.

This is just my own opinion and thus I don't speak for Matt or anyone else, but I believe that all sufficiently-unique variants should be included in the Variant Registry.  By this I mean that we're not going to include the obviously silly submissions such as these:

- Carc Minus One: remove 1 tile at the start of the game, now play!
- Better farms: make farms worth 100 points!
- Dangerous Rivers: Placing a river gets you two extra turns!

Take another look at this, especially the section "Does it qualify as a variant?", as well as my last post.  I really don't want CC to be a filter for people's creative ideas, otherwise people would stop posting their variants here for fear of rejection.

On the other hand, there is nothing wrong with rating variants, which is a future feature of the Variant Registry.

Have ideas for Carc Central?  PM me!
Bixby
Count

Merit: 12

Guinness is Goodness

Awards
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2008, 04:57:45 PM »

This is just my own opinion and thus I don't speak for Matt or anyone else, but I believe that all sufficiently-unique variants should be included in the Variant Registry.  By this I mean that we're not going to include the obviously silly submissions such as these:

- Carc Minus One: remove 1 tile at the start of the game, now play!
- Better farms: make farms worth 100 points!
- Dangerous Rivers: Placing a river gets you two extra turns!

Take another look at this, especially the section "Does it qualify as a variant?", as well as my last post.  I really don't want CC to be a filter for people's creative ideas, otherwise people would stop posting their variants here for fear of rejection.

On the other hand, there is nothing wrong with rating variants, which is a future feature of the Variant Registry.

I completely agree with what you are saying Gantry, What I was proposing had nothing to do with the Registry, I think it is perfectly fine. I saw some efforts to create a PDF file of collected variants and the comments were that all varianst were not going to be included. I do not think all of the varianst in the registry should be included in a PDF collection. That begs the question, what vraiants SHOULD be included in a collection of variants?  A couple of reasons really:

I think this is a great website and a wonderful resource for all things Carcassonne. The first time I wondered into the Variant registry it was a bit overwhelming. There are so many. That is good and that is bad. For the casual Carcassonne player, it would be helpful to have a list of variants that have been well received and thoroughly playtested. That is likely to lead to a happy first experience with variants which would lead to further exploration and use of more variants. Have a "Hall Of Fame" of Varianst would only act to showcase variants in the registry that have received accolades and been lauded by the Carcassonne Community at large. They would be variants that have proven to integrate well with the core game. THis is just an approach that a number of members took on another game website I am a member of. 

Hope that explains my thought process a bit more. If you think this would not be well received, that is fine. I do not get too personally attached to any ideas on the web. Cheesy

Cheers,
Matt

My KARMA ran over your DOGMA
Scott
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Merit: 45

WWW Awards
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2008, 05:44:37 PM »

Sounds like you are suggesting we should have a CarcCentral Seal of Approval.

*stamps approval*

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: