Painting Meeples
Carcassonne Central
April 19, 2024, 07:26:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: THESE FORUMS HAVE BEEN REPLACED. PLEASE GO TO THE NEW FORUMS: http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/

Home   Help Search Staff List Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Painting Meeples  (Read 35395 times)
Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Merit: 49

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« on: December 30, 2008, 05:36:19 PM »

Hopefully, I will be getting my 2nd Tower expansion soon and I would like to paint the tower pieces.  Any advice (or is that advise?) regarding what types of paint I should use on the tower tiles?

PS. Tower tiles = unpainted, which I'm going to guess would save me the job of removing the original paint Smiley

Lardarse
Authors
Vassal

Merit: 1

Awards
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 07:47:42 PM »

You may want to sand them down slightly to remove the varnish. One of my tower pieces is missing a bit of the ridge, and the wood feels different.

As for paint, probably acrylic, because it dries fast and is fairly opaque. But that's assuming that you're hand painting tiles. But if you're buying acrylic paint, avoid Games Workshop's paint selections, as they are not good value for money (last I checked, they were £1.75 over here for not that much paint, and that was about 3 years ago). If you go to an arts and crafts store, you should be able to find bottles of paint that are about as wide as a D battery and a bit taller, and they only cost £1.

If you're spraying, then Joff is probably the person to ask...
Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 11:26:30 PM »

If you're spraying, then Joff is probably the person to ask...
Joff, can I spray you? :p

Joff
Authors
Chatelain

Merit: 30

I play yellow... usually

WWW Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 12:30:57 AM »

The 'official' way of painting meeples is using a solvent based paint... we can easily get a similar product... Nail Varnish. This is how I painted my second set of Tower pieces. My first set was painted with enamel paint (as were Jester and Minstrel pieces), which was not as good as when I used nail varnish. The main problem with this is that finding the right colours can be the tricky part. Fortunately, black and white are very easy to find Smiley I have just purchased a brilliant gold colour (easily available around this time of the year) for repainting the Monopoly Ark piece.

My advice, use nail varnish, the results are much better.
Lardarse
Authors
Vassal

Merit: 1

Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 01:24:44 AM »

Is that nail varnish mixed in with the paint, or just put over the top of the paint?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 01:29:24 AM by Lardarse » Logged
Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2008, 01:42:31 AM »

My advice, use nail varnish, the results are much better.
Thanks.  I guess I will have to start pretending I'm goth or something to get black and white nail varnish...

Joff
Authors
Chatelain

I play yellow... usually

WWW Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2008, 02:32:07 AM »

Is that nail varnish mixed in with the paint, or just put over the top of the paint?

No, just plain coloured nail varnish, instead of any other paint or, put another way, the nail varnish IS the paint Wink

I have painted the nail varnish straight over the top of my meeples... they may need one or two coats, but the results are really good.

Use black nail varnish for the black tower pieces and white nail varnish for the white tower pieces (after removing the apex Wink ). I did not need to sand the tower pieces.
Joff
Authors
Chatelain

I play yellow... usually

WWW Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2008, 05:56:40 AM »

Here is a side by side comparison of a painted and unpainted Ark for The Ark of the Covenant:

Because of the glitter added to the nail varnish, it loses a bit of the fine detail that is apparent in the unpainted version, but looks excellent when it is on the playing area.

I have also just painted a cow, ready for the Moses and the Golden Calf expansion Wink
Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 08:09:28 AM »

Is there a particular technique for painting with nail varnish?  How many coats do I need to use (for the pieces, not for my nails)?  How long does nail varnish take to dry?  Is there anything I should know about nail varnish?

Purity
Vassal

Merit: 4

Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2009, 09:01:18 AM »

this is something your gf, wife or mother could answer :-)
drying doesnt take that long ... depends on how thick you paint, normal nail polish takes about 5 minutes to get in state to touch without seeing the fingerprint (according to my gf :-P)
Joff
Authors
Chatelain

I play yellow... usually

WWW Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2009, 09:09:02 AM »

About 3 coats of a colour should do the job well. However, when I used my white nail polish it took about 4 coats to finish. Drying doesn't take very long, but I left my work overnight between each coat.
Wishmaster
Count

Merit: 4

I've got Purple Meeples!

WWW Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2009, 11:53:44 AM »

...and just remember - It stinks to high heaven (I guess that's OK for Ark pieces then!!)  Grin Grin Grin

Time for one more daring dream...
Joff
Authors
Chatelain

I play yellow... usually

WWW Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2009, 12:00:13 PM »

...and just remember - It stinks to high heaven (I guess that's OK for Ark pieces then!!)  Grin Grin Grin

Very good                          Laugh & point Laugh & point Laugh & point
Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2009, 04:40:31 PM »

Well, I just painted the first trial black piece.  It needs only 1 coat.  Pink needs 2 coats, and I'm on the 3rd coat for gold (but I think that would need another coat).  So I guess it depends on the colour being used.

Laserschwert
Villein

Merit: 5

Awards
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2009, 06:21:27 AM »

Today I got my orange and white meeple-sets from eBay, and while they're not as perfect as the original ones (which - of course - was stated in the auction), they look okay. The paint isn't 100% covering, but also a little thick in creases, which would've been worsened by more coats of paint I guess.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: