How to create new tiles
Carcassonne Central
April 28, 2024, 09:35:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: THESE FORUMS HAVE BEEN REPLACED. PLEASE GO TO THE NEW FORUMS: http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/

Home   Help Search Staff List Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to create new tiles  (Read 14939 times)
skipboris
Authors
Duke

Merit: 14

Try out the Ocean!

Awards
« on: February 03, 2009, 01:55:42 PM »

I found a great step by step on how to make custom tiles.  But I'm having trouble with the first step.  Zeta card.  Where do you find this stuff?  Is there an online store that sells it?  What is everyone else using to make tiles?  Thanks!
Joff
Authors
Chatelain

Merit: 30

I play yellow... usually

WWW Awards
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 02:14:20 PM »

I obtained zeta card at my local printers. Zeta is probably the brand name, but a linen type card finish should be standard at a printers. The best way to make them ius to simply purchase a 2nd Carcassonne set and use the tiles from that!
skipboris
Authors
Duke

Try out the Ocean!

Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 04:09:54 PM »

I obtained zeta card at my local printers. Zeta is probably the brand name, but a linen type card finish should be standard at a printers. The best way to make them ius to simply purchase a 2nd Carcassonne set and use the tiles from that!

Yea I plan to do that I just need the right material to print the one side of the tile.  Where do people get their supplies in the states?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 04:42:23 PM by skipboris » Logged
edmil
Authors
Freeman

Merit: 3

Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 10:34:53 PM »

I'm in Australia and I'm still trying to get a good paper for the top layer.  I bought a 2nd Carcassonne set so I could use the tiles.
I've tried a 90gsm Linen paper embossed paper, looks reasonable but lacks the shine of the original tiles. Tried Photo paper - gloss, but that made the tiles too shiny. I am about to give Matt photo paper a go.  My main difficulty is getting the right coloring i.e not too faded, not too sharp.  I have been playing around with color temperature after scanning some originals in.  Scanner - Computer - Printer generates too much yellow.

I think I have spent more on Ink than I should but once I get it right it should work out ok.

If anyone has any details on their coloring would love to know about them.
Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Merit: 49

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 02:31:21 AM »

I've tried a 90gsm Linen paper embossed paper, looks reasonable but lacks the shine of the original tiles.
Do what joff suggested... use nail polish! Heh, just kidding.

skipboris
Authors
Duke

Try out the Ocean!

Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 12:45:02 PM »

I too got some linen paper, but yea it lacks the shine.  Any ideas?  Some sort of spray?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 01:29:06 PM by skipboris » Logged
Scott
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Merit: 45

WWW Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 07:00:28 PM »

I use label paper, but it doesn't have shine either. Really easy to adhere to the tiles though.

To add some shine, I would probably try a clear coat. You can get the stuff in spray-type cans at Lowes, Home Depot, Michael's, etc.

Gantry
Administrator
Chatelain

Merit: 20

taken

WWW Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 11:09:06 AM »

I don't know if this would work very well, but in woodworking, a wax finish can look really nice, and it typically doesn't stain the surface. Not sure how it would work on paper though.

Have ideas for Carc Central?  PM me!
bufferm44
Villein

Merit: 9

Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2009, 01:32:11 PM »

The best way to get a shiny finish is to use a laser printer, e.g. a cannon clc printer which uses toner and oil for a glossy finish. Ask in a local copy shop for a demo print...
CKorfmann
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Merit: 32

Pigs are meeple too!

Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2009, 11:36:11 AM »

You (skipboris) mentioned that you found a good step-by-step method of printing tiles.  Is it posted here somewhere?  If not, can you post it?

Flee the fleas!
CKorfmann
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Merit: 32

Pigs are meeple too!

Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2009, 08:33:21 PM »

Which do you think is the better method?  Printing on adhesive paper, or using some other kind of adhesive on regular paper, or whatever paper looks best?

Flee the fleas!
Kanomike
Cottager

Merit: 0

Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2009, 12:10:16 AM »

I am about two thirds of the way through making a set of forest tiles.  Have used a simple grey craft card which you can get in about A1 size sheets.  Then print out a batch of front and backs onto simple laser labels.  Then spend hours cutting them all out with a heavy duty craft knife.  I did see a while ago before the forum re-organisation a punch that some-one hand for cutting them out ... would be very interested to know what people use for this.  I looked into the glossy laser labels, and special cards but they are all very expensive per tile.  In addition to the printing charges etc your on for a reasonable cost making something liek the forest.  Unless you are making very good tiles and don't mind the expense then, for me, finish is less of an issue than having something to play with and know there is a lot of your own effort that you can enjoy.
DragonSlayer10
Vagabond

Merit: 0

Awards
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2009, 05:49:39 PM »

Would you be willing to share the step-by-step instructions for making new tiles?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: