Forum formatting questions
Carcassonne Central
March 28, 2024, 09:39:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: THESE FORUMS HAVE BEEN REPLACED. PLEASE GO TO THE NEW FORUMS: http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/

Home   Help Search Staff List Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Forum formatting questions  (Read 7276 times)
CKorfmann
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Merit: 32

Pigs are meeple too!

Awards
« on: April 11, 2009, 11:21:58 AM »

Here are a few random questions about how the forum is laid out. 

On each of the topics pages, there are two columns to the left of the topics.  The first column has a legend at the bottom, but there is no legend for the second column.  Some of those symbols are obvious, but I'm not sure what each of them means. 

Also, when I see different usernames listed (mostly on the bottom of the homepage) they often appear in different colors.  I don't think this is simply because I've clicked on them to view the profile.  Is there a reason for the different colors?

Sometimes I think I'm a computer moron... how do you create a hyperlink in a post without the whole URL showing?  I've seen just about everyone do this, but I can't figure it out.  For instance, when someone says click here...

Flee the fleas!
chr15lynn
Authors
Nobleman

Merit: 7

Awards
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 11:55:10 AM »

how do you create a hyperlink in a post without the whole URL showing?  I've seen just about everyone do this, but I can't figure it out.  For instance, when someone says click here...

You need to type this:   
Code:
[url=PLACE IMAGE LINK HERE]AND THE TEXT YOU WANT TO SHOW HERE[/url]

To clarify, replace PLACE IMAGE LINK HERE with the link to your image and replace AND THE TEXT YOU WANT TO SHOW HERE with what you want to show in the thread....such as the word 'HERE' or 'LINK', etc.
 Grin

Gantry
Administrator
Chatelain

Merit: 20

taken

WWW Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 12:27:47 PM »

Here are a few random questions about how the forum is laid out. 

On each of the topics pages, there are two columns to the left of the topics.  The first column has a legend at the bottom, but there is no legend for the second column.  Some of those symbols are obvious, but I'm not sure what each of them means. 

Good question! When you create a post (or even a reply), just below the subject line there is a field called "Message Icon" where you can select the icon for the message.  It defaults to 2 diamonds (or sideways sheets of paper?), but you can also select exclamation and question marks, etc. It is up to the poster. When you do it for a reply, it shows up beside the post title, I chose a smiley for this reply (see above).

Also, when I see different usernames listed (mostly on the bottom of the homepage) they often appear in different colors.  I don't think this is simply because I've clicked on them to view the profile.  Is there a reason for the different colors?

Yes there is, however I don't think there is a legend or guide describing what they mean. They are based on the user's rank and position.  For instance, super admins (Matt & yours truly) are in red, guests are in black, etc. 

PS - I am adding a legend at the bottom right now, it should appear shortly.

Have ideas for Carc Central?  PM me!
Gantry
Administrator
Chatelain

Merit: 20

taken

WWW Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 01:09:17 PM »

Okay, it is up, see announcement here.

Have ideas for Carc Central?  PM me!
CKorfmann
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Pigs are meeple too!

Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 01:50:25 PM »

Thanks Gantry!  You're swell.   Grin

Flee the fleas!
CKorfmann
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Pigs are meeple too!

Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2009, 06:51:25 PM »

To clarify, replace PLACE IMAGE LINK HERE with the link to your image and replace AND THE TEXT YOU WANT TO SHOW HERE with what you want to show in the thread....such as the word 'HERE' or 'LINK', etc.

This is a test.  This is only a test.

Sweet!  Thanks!

Flee the fleas!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: