Cocoa Traders Expansion
Carcassonne Central
March 29, 2024, 06:32:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: THESE FORUMS HAVE BEEN REPLACED. PLEASE GO TO THE NEW FORUMS: http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/

Home   Help Search Staff List Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Cocoa Traders Expansion  (Read 31714 times)
meepleater
Authors
Viscount

Merit: 20

Some people finish stuff, others d

Awards
« on: April 16, 2009, 04:34:43 PM »

Cocoa Traders
Contains:
5 Cocoa Trade Good Tokens

Requires:
Base Game
Traders and Builders

Cocoa beans have had a surge in popularity lately, and several merchants have started to set up trading businesses in an attempt to make massive amounts of money from the business...

Rules:
This expansion puts the trade back into 'trade goods'.

At any point of the game, in the 'move the wood' stage (instead of placing a follower etc.), a player may trade; 1 cloth, 1 wheat and 2 wine trade goods for a cocoa trade good. The used wine, wheat and cloth trade goods get removed from the game.

At the end of the game, the player with the most cocoa trade goods gets 2 points for each trade good inside a completed city (the city must be completed!), as well as 5 points for each pig of another player's colour remaining in a field at the end of the game. In case of a tie, all players involved in the tie get the full points.

Interactions with other official expansions:
Abbey and Mayor At the end of the game, the player with the majority of cocoa trade goods also gains 5 points for each wagon of another player's colour remaining in play.

Interactions with unofficial expansions:
Apothecaries and Tithes 1 herb token must also be exchanged along with 1 cloth, 1 wheat and 2 wine in order to gain a cocoa trade good. At the end of the game, the player with the most amount of herb tokens also gains 1 point for each apothecary in a completed city. If using either Fountain of Youth or Health and Holiness or both, then 2 herb tokens must be used along with 1 cloth, 1 wheat and 2 wine.
Fruit Trader A pineapple trade good may be used instead of a wheat token. The player with the most cocoa tokens at the end of the game does NOT gain any addition points from pineapple farms.
Kettle of fish Has no impact.
Timber! Has no impact
Lavender fields Has no impact
An apple a day Any apple trade good may be used instead of one of the wine tokens, but a maximum of 1 apple token per trade is in place, so 1 wine MUST be used.
Gold mines A gold trade good may be used instead of a wine OR a wheat token, but a maximum of one gold trade good per cocoa token. If using with Apple a day, only ONE of either apple OR gold can be used per cocoa trade good. At the end of the game the player with the majority of trade goods also gains 2 points per completed gold mine.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 09:17:45 PM by meepleater » Logged

Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Merit: 49

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 05:50:26 PM »

Hey, I recognise those leaves!  Good use recycling the leaves from apothecaries!  However, I'm not sure about your cocoa pods.  Those things look more like Brazil nuts than cocoa pods.  Also cocoa pods is more orangy brown than dark chocolate brown, and the "fruit"/bean is actually white in colour and almond shaped.  You might want to change the colour or shape to resemble something more appropriate.

I like the trading expansion idea and I think this is cool.  I have no idea why you want to make it more difficult to play with Apothecaries and Tithes.  Perhaps the herb token may be used instead of cloth?  With regards to the end game scoring, perhaps it might be better that pigs and wagons score 5 points if they remain in play at the end of the game, but only those that belongs to other players?  That way, whoever is in the lead cannot just save up their pig and wagon and place those near the end of the game to score 10 points (= to player with the most of 1 trade good, or 9 points by your current rules).

meepleater
Authors
Viscount

Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 05:57:30 PM »

Well I wanted to 'force' people to use cloth, as there are only 5, so Cocoa is kept rare and cloth is even more sought after. If I added 8 more herbs (potential cloths) that would be 13 cocoa max compared to 5.

I just noticed, if there are only 9 wine, then there is 1 wine short of being five cocoa tokens. Oh well, it seems now that in order to get  all 5 cocoa 'apple a day' is needed too...

I'll edit the image later... I was wondering if you'd recognise the leaves...

Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 06:08:58 PM »

Well I wanted to 'force' people to use cloth, as there are only 5, so Cocoa is kept rare and cloth is even more sought after. If I added 8 more herbs (potential cloths) that would be 13 cocoa max compared to 5.
OK.  That's good.  Maybe you should add another trade good for herb tokens.  How about 2 herb (since you'll get more with the 2 new expansions), 1 gold and 1 something else for for this new trade goods?  The new trade goods can be used together cocoa or something...

meepleater
Authors
Viscount

Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 06:12:16 PM »

Hmm... okay, 2 herb... I'll edit that on my first post... i'd completely forgotten about gold trade goods... there's one in treasure hunt, how many in the original?

meepleater
Authors
Viscount

Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 06:15:33 PM »

hang on, I'll add fountain of youth and health and holiness into the list of unofficial expansions in the rules...

Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 06:17:21 PM »

12 gold trade goods in the original expansion.  There's also the honey trade goods from lavender fields.

meepleater
Authors
Viscount

Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 06:25:31 PM »

I already decided not to mix with lavender fields, I only want to interact with a few other expansions...

here is the new cocoa trade good:

Compared to:

EDIT: Added Gold Mines to list of rules
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 06:28:56 PM by meepleater » Logged

Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 06:35:21 PM »

Wow, those new tokens look great!  Get the rules finished and you're ready to go!

meepleater
Authors
Viscount

Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009, 06:43:47 PM »

I'll probably do the rules tomorrow... for now, I'll leave this open for comments...

CKorfmann
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Merit: 32

Pigs are meeple too!

Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2009, 08:31:40 PM »

I agree, those tokens are nice.  Good work.  This is an interesting twist on the trade goods.  I think it could be exciting.  I'd be interested to hear about a play test.

Flee the fleas!
meepleater
Authors
Viscount

Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2009, 09:22:45 PM »

Could someone else attempt a play test with some of the other expansions such as gold mines/ fruit traders? I don't have all of those. I will, however, have a go with T&B, as well as a go with A&M and T&B.

Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2009, 12:09:35 AM »

Could someone else attempt a play test with some of the other expansions such as gold mines/ fruit traders?
Maybe you should make no changes with the gold tokens for this expansion.  Maybe we could jointly develop one as a future expansion.

meepleater
Authors
Viscount

Awards
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2009, 12:28:25 AM »

It's so small a change we might as well keep it... Gold Mines are optional for this, by no means neccesary...

Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2009, 01:01:57 AM »

OK, I think it would add to the strategy of whether you want to keep the gold mines for extra points or to steal the cocoa for more points.

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: