Carcassonne - Das Schicksalsrad NEW
Carcassonne Central
March 28, 2024, 11:10:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: THESE FORUMS HAVE BEEN REPLACED. PLEASE GO TO THE NEW FORUMS: http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/

Home   Help Search Staff List Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
  Print  
Author Topic: Carcassonne - Das Schicksalsrad NEW  (Read 83410 times)
Hauser85
Vagabond

Merit: 3

Awards
« on: June 25, 2009, 01:13:00 AM »

Hello,

i am from germany and wanna tell you about the new game from HIG.
You can combine Carcassonne-Das Schicksalsrad with the original game and the other expansions.
Or you can play Carcassonne-Das Schicksalsrad only, cause it is an own game.
On HIG`s homepage is not anything about the game to read, but they say that they write anything about this game only, when it is ready.
Only Amazon has something to tell http://www.amazon.de/Schmidt-Spiele-48195-Schicksalsrad-amazon/dp/B001TOD5KI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=toys&qid=1245916967&sr=8-1 .

There you can read, that carcassonne - Das Schicksalsrad has an history-roman include (hope this is the right word).

So, hope you can understand what i am writing. My english is under the level of school, cause i wasnt speaking, so much, after school.

Goodbye, Hauser85
mjharper
Administrator
Baron

Merit: 25

WWW Awards
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 01:15:54 AM »

Nice tip, thanks  Smiley

Currently residing in the 'Where are they now?' file.
meepleater
Authors
Viscount

Merit: 20

Some people finish stuff, others d

Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 01:29:12 AM »

Wow... looks interesting... I wonder what the book is about...

mjharper
Administrator
Baron

Merit: 25

WWW Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 01:44:51 AM »

The amazon site says it's exclusive to amazon.de, but that might only refer to the signed book.

Rought translation of the important bit:

For many years, knights, monks, thieves and farmers have been going about their business. But now a mysterious 'wheel of fate' has appeared, which will throw the familiar game into confusion. The plague ensures that the meeples are returned to the player. 'Starvation points' must be won from the farmers. But the player also receive bonus points through the knights, who collect taxes. Only the one who is in the right place at the right time will be able to set his/her fate in the best direction and win the game...

Currently residing in the 'Where are they now?' file.
meepleater
Authors
Viscount

Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 02:02:57 AM »

So, some sort of 'wheel'? It sounds like it must be spun or something and adds random factors into the turns... taxes, plagues, starvation... but it is a spin-off as well... this is getting interesting. Someone should add it on BGG.

Whaleyland
Authors
Viscount

Merit: 28

Often the loser, but still undefeated.

WWW Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 02:34:44 AM »

Here's a rough translation of the rest of the text from the page (I tried to clean it up some, but I could be wrong in some parts):

For all, who already know the 2001 Game of the Year, comprehension is particularly easy, because the Fate Wheel only adds some very easily understood rules which are fast and easy to learn and offer a completely new play experience nevertheless. In addition the materials of the Fate Wheel can be combined with the original play Carcassonne and all available extensions – for larger adventures.

In addition, there is a historical novel to immerse by Helene Luise Köppel to immerse you into the history of the city. It is a packed history, which leaves you no longer in the dark.

(They quote a passage from the book here that doesn't translate well nor requires it.)

Southern France in the year 1202:
The Wheel of the Fate takes its run… the young Viscount of Carcassonne refuses to drive the Heretics out from his land and thereby calls on the help of Rome. Alix, the woman, whom he wants to marry, disappears without trace. her younger sister Inés is to become Lady of Carcassonne. But the intelligent Alix and the simple people of Carcassonne uncover a dark secret and the cruel person who is behind everything. A stout custom painting from the Middle Ages, a history around love and passion, honour and betrayal, religious fanaticism, funds greed and power - a further story by author of the Cathars novel: "the Gold of Carcassonne" and "The Heretics of Montségur".

The only conclusion that I can make from this is we have our 2009 Expansion #8 finally. And I can't say how happy I am. With the announcement of the Catan Card Game: Artisans & Benefactors expansion two days ago (releasing today) and now this releasing in German on 9 July, today is a good birthday indeed. However, there is some important things of note from the box. Most importantly, this expansion does not note anywhere on it the usual Hans im Glück "#. Expansion" in the top left corner, which either suggests they are abandoning that format (which never was very consistent anyway) or that this is not a full expansion. However, assuming the novel is scale to the box and that it is a pocket book or larger (which it should be), the expansion does seem to include a full sized box, albeit one that probably includes an entire book in it. Finally, the picture of the girl, I'm assuming Alix, is consistent with the art of the other Carcassonne expansions but is not consistent with the style, which is medieval. The girl certainly looks more Indian than southern medieval French/Provinçal. The note in the rules concerning Rome I assume is just an oversight, and it is really referring to the Papacy.

Ultimately, I'm going to have to call this a mini-expansion in a big box. It doesn't sound like it includes any new tiles and it may instead be something rather like the Ticket to Ride Dice Expansion: an expansion that just adds a new element with no new pieces. We will certainly have to keep our eyes open in the new few days!

'There is no place in a fanatic's head where reason can enter'.
- Napoleon Bonaparte I, Emperor of the French (1804-1814, 1815)
Joff
Authors
Chatelain

Merit: 30

I play yellow... usually

WWW Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 02:40:02 AM »

So, some sort of 'wheel'? It sounds like it must be spun or something and adds random factors into the turns... taxes, plagues, starvation... but it is a spin-off as well... this is getting interesting.

Well, if it is a 'wheel' of some sort, perhaps the box artwork depicts this 'wheel'?

Looks interesting though Smiley

Edit: I imagine it is simply adding random, luck based additions to the game...wait... did they not just release a luck based expansion in The Catapult!!!???
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 03:04:25 AM by Joff » Logged
Whaleyland
Authors
Viscount

WWW Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2009, 02:49:48 AM »

They do actually depict the Wheel of Fate twice on the visible box. Here's some image extractions:

Wheel of Fate – Full Sized
Wheel of Fate – Partial but in Color
Alix of Carcassonne

It looks like at least two of the Wheel of Fate images are taken directly from the Farmer and the Monk expansion (the sequel to King & Robber) that was never officially released by Hans im Glück. The other images look new, though.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 02:51:48 AM by Whaleyland » Logged

meepleater
Authors
Viscount

Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2009, 03:06:23 AM »

Farmer and Monk? I hadn't heard of that. I presume that is an earlier version of Friar and Farmhand/ Cleric and Serf? The monk looks different that of those mentioned, and the same for the farmer. Where can I see the original Farmer and Monk?

Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Merit: 49

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2009, 03:07:30 AM »

I guess this is the 2009 expansion.  I hope:

1. that this isn't a collected collection
2. that RGG will release this in some form this year

Oh and welcome to Carc Central Hauser85!  Merit point given to you for this piece of news Smiley

meepleater
Authors
Viscount

Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2009, 03:11:52 AM »

I guess this is the 2009 expansion.  I hope:

1. that this isn't a collected collection
2. that RGG will release this in some form this year

Ditto. Also:

3. it turns out to be better than the previous (ghastly) expansion...

Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Merit: 49

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2009, 03:14:17 AM »

Amen to that meepleater, and

4. it's an expansion, not a spin-off.

The roman thing might indicate it's based in rome instead of southern france which might make it a spin-off.  Blegh!

Whaleyland
Authors
Viscount

WWW Awards
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2009, 03:18:03 AM »

I hadn't heard of that. I presume that is an earlier version of Friar and Farmhand/ Cleric and Serf? The monk looks different that of those mentioned, and the same for the farmer. Where can I see the original Farmer and Monk?

Nevermind, you're right. I was using my memory which was apparently faulty. They still seem to be copying the rough intent of the Cleric and Serf images, but they are indeed different.

I also hope this releases sometime (soon) this year, because my Carcassonne life is getting rather boring without the addition of anything worthwhile last year. I mean really. I have all three versions of the Cult, but they all are just really cloisters that have a chance of giving me no points. I have Catapult, but the lameness of that expansion hardly needs recounting. And I have the Siege tiles, but have played with my DIY Cathars tiles enough times to hardly consider those tiles worthwhile. The only thing that he been getting me along these past few months have been the fan expansions here, but I really want something more official (and better than Catapult!).

The roman thing might indicate it's based in rome instead of southern france which might make it a spin-off.  Blegh!
I don't think it's a spinoff. In fact, I don't even think it has a stand-alone feature like first advertised. It seems to be an expansion only from the Amazon.de text, but the wording suggests it is like the Catapult...not specifically designed with the other expansions in mind.

meepleater
Authors
Viscount

Awards
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2009, 03:23:44 AM »

It certainly does sound like an expansion... I wonder how (or if?) if works on its own...

EDIT: the box cover clearly shows the carcassone-ian building in the picture's background, which none of the other spin-offs have done...
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 03:25:22 AM by meepleater » Logged

Whaleyland
Authors
Viscount

WWW Awards
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2009, 04:31:46 AM »

the box cover clearly shows the carcassone-ian building in the picture's background, which none of the other spin-offs have done...

I must just state at this juncture how much we are all Carcassonne geeks. Yes, every one of us. Right, that being said, any more observations anyone?!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
  Print  

Jump to: