Sorcerers
Carcassonne Central
April 20, 2024, 08:21:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: THESE FORUMS HAVE BEEN REPLACED. PLEASE GO TO THE NEW FORUMS: http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/

Home   Help Search Staff List Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sorcerers  (Read 14485 times)
Ailurus
Freeman

Merit: 12

WWW Awards
« on: July 29, 2009, 03:04:15 PM »

Hi all,
for a while I've been thinking about a way to remove tiles from the already played tiles (I call them "the field"). I came up with an idea to use the existing volcanoes (princess and the dragon), on which each player can place a token (only once per player) so that the volcano would explode (his/her next turn) and remove the tiles in a specific radius.

However, this would cause too much problems (possible large gaps in the field, dividing the field, many exceptions like river tiles not allowed to remove, etc.)

I just came up with the following idea:
What if there were "Sorcerer tiles" (I'm thinking of a circle of trees, and in the centre a simple wooden cottage from which some plumes of coloured smoke emerge) which are among the normal tiles.

If you pick one, you can deploy a follower (a Sorcerer), and when you complete it (like the tithe barn, tiles horizontally and vertically adjacent) you get two magic tokens.
There are two kinds, the additive and subtractive (Yes I really like the "The Sword of Truth" series by Goodkind  Grin). By using an additive token (a white magic image, not sure what) you can get an extra tile and place it according to the rules (maybe something more, not sure either). When you use a subtractive token, you can remove a tile from the field, considering that you cannot remove tiles of the city of Carcassonne and no river tiles (maybe no Abbeys/Ghettos as well).

When you complete your Sorcerer, you can choose the two tokens yourself. As long as you haven't used the tokens, your follower (Sorcerer) remains on the tile. After you've used both tokens, it returns to your supply.

Each player may only have two (or less, of course) tokens at the same time. The front side of a token can be additive, the back subtractive, for practical purposes - less tokens needed.

Please let me know if you think there is some potential in this idea (and/or want to help with the art work) Smiley
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 04:31:59 PM by Scott » Logged
CKorfmann
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Merit: 32

Pigs are meeple too!

Awards
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 09:38:47 AM »

That sounds interesting.  I agree with you that I'd like to see something that could remove tiles from the field too.  That would make things very interesting.  Keep working on it and see where it goes.

Flee the fleas!
CKorfmann
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Pigs are meeple too!

Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 08:23:49 PM »

Nudge...

Flee the fleas!
Sekim
Nobleman

Merit: 3

Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 01:35:39 AM »

Thanks for that nudge  Wink

I havent noticed this topic until now and it looks very interesting to me.
It sure sounds better than some of the official stuff  Cool
loganmann1
Duke

Merit: 6

Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 08:35:00 AM »

That does sound fun to play with.  Perhaps we can start being collaborative on some of these archived expansions again.
Ailurus
Freeman

Merit: 12

WWW Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 11:29:52 AM »

For this idea as well, please feel free to develop it further! From now on, I'll check back regulary, however I don't have much time to work on it myself.

Last summer I've been thinking about the tokens. I like wooden tokens, like the wooden "Vegeemeeples" from the game Agricola. Maybe different coloured wooden flames (sounds like a paradox Cheesy) as Additive and Subtractive tokens?
CKorfmann
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Pigs are meeple too!

Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 12:42:38 PM »

Maybe different coloured wooden flames (sounds like a paradox Cheesy) as Additive and Subtractive tokens?

An interesting idea, but I didn't have any luck finding anything on my first try.  I think unique chits would be the best bet.

Flee the fleas!
Talisinbear
Duke

Merit: 2

Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2011, 09:05:11 PM »

what if the volcano idea, the eight adjacent tiles are destroyed by level, it would potentialy cause a road to end and be scored, break a field, and in the case of a city, if uncompleted, it could never be finished.

any meeple caught in the flow goes back to player immediately

you can only use explosion token, if you do not move the dragon
CKorfmann
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Pigs are meeple too!

Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2011, 10:11:33 PM »

I think the new tile idea is better than the volcano idea.  I prefer the new direction.

Flee the fleas!
Talisinbear
Duke

Merit: 2

Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2011, 10:27:56 PM »

never liked idea of removing tiles

blighting them on the other hand I understand

it stands with reality a little more
CKorfmann
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Pigs are meeple too!

Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2011, 11:29:07 PM »

I think we should go with the tile removal idea since it was Ailurus' original idea (if not the first).  However, I thought it interesting to note a post made on the Creativity thread some time ago.  It talked about problems with removing tiles that we may need to address.

We play tested using the blank tiles as a way to blank out tiles already played. Instead of placing the blank tile, you removed one already on the board. But we had to add rules about removing the only tile of a claimed feature, or what happened to features that got divided, and you can't blank the river... It got messy and we decided we didn't like it, but perhaps others can find workable rules for that idea.

Nudge, nudge... any one else want to weigh in on this?

Changed title from A(nother) magic expansion to Sorcerers.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 09:31:56 AM by CKorfmann » Logged

Flee the fleas!
palkan
Villein

Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2012, 12:44:40 AM »

Up again
quevy
Nobleman

Awards
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2012, 01:49:59 AM »

I really like this idea, ought to be completed.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 02:53:16 AM by quevy » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: