Roadblocks and road tolls
Carcassonne Central
April 27, 2024, 11:41:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: THESE FORUMS HAVE BEEN REPLACED. PLEASE GO TO THE NEW FORUMS: http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/

Home   Help Search Staff List Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Roadblocks and road tolls  (Read 31600 times)
Gwommy
Count

Merit: 30

Awards
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2009, 08:22:57 PM »

I was also thinking just 9 points, but I suppose that'll probably work.  I guess you'd also have to specify that a toll house can't go on an intersection that has a tower, or cloister in the middle of it.  And supposedly there's that intersection on a tile from Inns and Cathedrals where the road looks like it goes straight through between two cities and also connects the cities.  I'm guessing that it would be a legal placement for a toll house, but you wouldn't get the points for the two tiny roads leading to each city, right?

« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 08:31:29 PM by Gwommy » Logged
meepleater
Authors
Viscount

Merit: 20

Some people finish stuff, others d

Awards
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2009, 09:22:48 PM »

For my idea, no, but remeber, its not my expansion, its all up to what elmendalerenda decides...

elmendalerenda
Freeman

Merit: 0

Awards
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2009, 12:48:22 AM »

According to the first draft, the final score for the toll house is 3 points per finished road that touches the toll house, so according to gwommy example blue would score 9 points for the completed roas at N, E and S, not 21.

What meepleater suggested is making the toll house more powerful, kind of barn. Following his suggestion a toll house will score at  the end of the game 3 points per finished road that is connected being like trading post, with connection ended by cloister, tower or city. So in Gwommy example (lucky the blue player he got most of the T intesections of the game) it would score 21 points. But other player could have placed his toll house in the intersection from the princess and dragon tile and score 21 as well. This is the same with the barn, is better to make two tiles cities than making them bigger, but thats the way the rules are written. To avoid this with the toll house I suggested scoring the roads again, you could score lots of points, but forces you to make longer roads.

So I would say that the final scoring ability for the toll house will be scoring all completed roads touching the toll house.

The toll house cant be placed on a cloister or tower intersection thats correct, will add it to the rules.

About the tile from inns and cathedrals in that tile there is no intersection. Just a straight road with two small branches to separate the fields, so the toll house cant be placed there.

meepleater
Authors
Viscount

Awards
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2009, 01:45:42 AM »

Maybe count one point per tile in that road network? otherwise a tile could be scored potentially four times, but its up to you. Actually, the I&C tile IS an intersection, but when HiG realised it looked so confusing, they changed it in a later edition to include bushes where the roads meet. Most people now recognise it as ending the roads.

elmendalerenda
Freeman

Awards
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2009, 04:00:55 AM »

Dohh, you are right about the I&C tile, I have the Big box version with bushes. Also forgot that every crossing is treated as an intersection (damned grammar). But there are fan made tiles witha T crossing that is not a intersection so confused every thing in my mind. Think that now every intersection comes with a feature to make it clear isn´t?.

After some thinking I will go for this final scoring:

Final scoring:

At the end of the game, the player with the toll house on an intersection scores normal points for every completed road that touches the toll house.

This way the toll house follows the purpose of making long roads to get more taxes and avoid small roads to get easy points.

So in Gwommy´s example the blue player will score at the end of the game 6 points (cheap road builder  Tongue)

Hope people agrees and accepts it Smiley

Anyway, still open to comments and further questions until the final version is made (meepleater or Gwommy need a hand from you to insert the examples).  Cheesy

meepleater
Authors
Viscount

Awards
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2009, 05:34:55 PM »

Here are the two examples you asked for. I hope you like them:

Showing how the tollhouse scores at the end of the game, you can work out the exact points.

Wagon movement:
A- the wagon is there
B- no, road is complete
C- yes
D- no, due to tollhouse
E- no, there is tollhouse and road is also complete

Sorry they're a bit blurry, but you will be shrinking them down a bit. If you need any other images, just ask.

elmendalerenda
Freeman

Awards
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2009, 12:16:48 AM »

Sweet  Grin

With that example the toll house would score at the end of the game 8 points (2 for E, 2 for B and 4 for A)
Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Merit: 49

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2009, 09:20:58 PM »

Looks good.  However I don't understand:

"If a player places a tile that connects a road without toll house to one with toll house, the road would be scored when finished, but every tile will give one point less than normal."

Who scores that road?  And if the road does not have an inn, does that mean it scores no points since each tile would give 0 points?

elmendalerenda
Freeman

Awards
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2009, 07:58:17 AM »

Who scores that road?  And if the road does not have an inn, does that mean it scores no points since each tile would give 0 points?

The player with a meeple in the road will score it. No meeple, no scoring.

Yes, it means if not inn, no score (traders have been taxed already Wink ). This way the owner of the toll house owner would be the most interested in finishing the roads, although it will score less for him at the end of the game the finished roads would be scored normally again.

Also the toll house can be used to reduce road scoring for other players

Remember in case of doubt it would act as a barn for roads.

As soon I have more time will update the rules, having moved recently dont let me too much time off.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: