Variant for tower for more strategy and less luck
Carcassonne Central
April 27, 2024, 02:54:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: THESE FORUMS HAVE BEEN REPLACED. PLEASE GO TO THE NEW FORUMS: http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/

Home   Help Search Staff List Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Variant for tower for more strategy and less luck  (Read 5304 times)
youtch
Cottager

Merit: 0

Awards
« on: February 16, 2011, 08:38:08 AM »

To start with a short introduction...

Although I m completly new to this scene, I am already big fan of Carcassonne, owning a few expansions.

I like the fact that each expansion can potentially add an additional level of depth and strategy.
But! I would never consider buying an expansion that would change too much the nature of the game to much or introduce more luck. This is why I completly ruled out Catapult, Bazard, Princess&Dragon, Cathars, etc...

Nonetheless, somehow the 18 tiles of tower expansion got might interest, and I bought it for the tiles essentially.

Since I was already using a few variants already to make the game more challenging, I ve been trying to figure out what to do with those neat tower pieces.
Here is the variant I came up with, I believe that it quite respects the true nature of Carcassonne, and adds an interesting layer of strategy.

I submit it to your review and comments:

(By the way, I am always using an hand of 3 tiles)

(I just corrected a mistake in the scoring for tower pieces at the end of the text)

This variant substitutes all the rules for the tower extension.

During Carcassonne time, towers were used to watch and control their surrounding.

At the beginning of the game, each player gets some tower pieces depending on the number of people playing:
> 2 players - 10 pieces each
> 3 players - 9 pieces each
> 4 players - 7 pieces each
> 5 players - 6 pieces each
> 6 players - 5 pieces each

When placing a tile with a tower foundation, a player might choose to build
 a tower with a guard, instead of placing another type of meeple (monk/farmer/knight/ pig/ Architect/wagon/mayor...).

If the new tile with the tower foundation completes any structure (city/ road/ cult place), each player must score their corresponding points before starting building the tower.

The player who wants to build the tower needs to put as many tower pieces as number of tiles directly surrounding the tower at this stage of the game.
The 4 tiles in direct contact and the 4 tiles in diagonal count, so there can be a maximum of 8 direct surrounding tiles.
Example: If a tower tile is surrounded directly by 5 tiles, the tower will need 5 tower pieces.

If the player has enough tower pieces to match the number of surrounding tiles, then the tower can be build. Once the tower is built, the player has to put a guard on the top of the tower.

Tower and guard can be placed on cities/roads/fields regardless of to whom those might belong.

The presence of a tower provokes the removal of all the meeples (with the
 exception of the barn) on the tiles surrounding directly this tower.

Before removing their meeple, each player scores their corresponding point as
 if the game was already finished.
 - A monk/ heretic scores as many points as the number of tiles surrounding his cult place (including the cult place tile)
 - A farmer will score 3 points (or 4 with a pig) per completed cities touching his field
 - A knight scores 1 point per tiles and shields composing his city (except if there is a cathedral).
 - A thief scores 1 point per road tile (except if there is an inn)

Player scores regardless of the fact that they might not have the majority in the field/road/city.

As long as there is a  guard on the tower, nobody can place any new
 meeple (nor barn) on the tiles surrounding directly this tower.

When the 8 tiles surrounding a tower are complete (like for an abbey/ cloister/ shrines), the player can remove his guard meeple and scores 2 points per number of tower pieces constituting the tower. The tower and tower pieces shalll remain on the tiles where it was built.

If the 8 tiles surrounding the tower are still not complete at the end of the games, the tower scores 1 point per number of tower pieces constituting the tower.

-----

I hope you will enjoy it...
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 12:53:32 AM by youtch » Logged
Gwommy
Count

Merit: 30

Awards
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 06:18:28 PM »

Sounds good to me. Although I have a question. Do you get the tower pieces back when it's completely surrounded or just the follower?
youtch
Cottager

Merit: 0

Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 12:52:19 AM »

It is a very valid comment.

Both options shall be tried to see with the practise which one is better.

Initially I was just returning the follower and the tower was remaining there.

I think that the point is that if you are in a group where players want to do a more extensive use of the tower, then it makes sense to return the tower pieces.

If you do not return the pieces, players will be able to play only 2 to 3 towers during the game, which seems to be the preferred option in my group.

y.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: