The brothel
Carcassonne Central
March 28, 2024, 01:53:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: THESE FORUMS HAVE BEEN REPLACED. PLEASE GO TO THE NEW FORUMS: http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/

Home   Help Search Staff List Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The brothel  (Read 14163 times)
CKorfmann
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Merit: 32

Pigs are meeple too!

Awards
« on: March 30, 2009, 01:07:32 PM »

Another idea I've heard (not original to myself) was that of the Brothel.  A tile with some sort of building on it representing the brothel.  No followers are necessary on it, but it affects the farmers attatched to it by cutting the points they receive in half.  Additionally, adjacent tower can not capture other followers because they are preoccupied with the "goings-on" at the brothel.  Again, sorry, I don't remember where I heard this idea. 

Flee the fleas!
Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Merit: 49

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 11:48:43 PM »

Ah, you've been reading the forums at Board Game Geek.  There's all sorts of ideas in this list.

CKorfmann
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Pigs are meeple too!

Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 11:56:44 PM »

You got it.  I couldn't remember where I'd seen that stuff.

Flee the fleas!
CKorfmann
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Pigs are meeple too!

Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 11:20:28 PM »

I think we can kill this one.  Bad idea...

Flee the fleas!
markus
Cottager

Merit: 0

Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 08:18:02 AM »

Hi,
I think this idea is not a bad idea. It is a little spoil-sport or kill-joy.

I have tried to made it as an expansion, like this

The Brothel

A Carcassonne Central expansion  by markus based on a ides by Grant Smith

The oldest business has arrived in Carcassonne.
A tempting alternation came in the hard and poor live of the medieval. But it brings not  only joy, it also rob power, and purchasing power.
This expansion diminished the scoring points also the scoring of the Trader & Builder and the Tower Expansions.

EXTRA PIECES

2 new brothel tiles

ADDITIONAL RULES

Preparation

Shuffle the 2 new tiles with the other tiles

1. Place a tile

The brothel tile is placed according to the usual rules. It must be placed adjacent to one existing tile. The brothel does not need to be placed in a “hole” such that all 4 sides are adjacent to a tile. It is not considered to be part of the adjacent tiles; the adjacent tiles end at the walls of the brothel. The brothel tile completed roads, towns farms and cloisters, like the abbey tiles, but it changes the scoring.

2. Deploy a follower

A follower can not be deployed. This even pass for special rules like the magic portal from the P&D expansion and such others.

3. Effect and Scoring

Road:
* Every road that completes by a brothel tile scored only one Point for every segment. A bonus like from Inns by the Lake looses and scored 0 Point.

Town:
* Any town that is touching a brothel tile scored, when completed, only 1 Point for every segment.
* The pennants looses there Bonus and scored 0.
* At the final scoring the town scored for the owner of a  farmer, who's not adjacent to a brothel but to this town, only 1 point.

Farm:
* All farmers, pig and barn in farms that are touching a brothel are scored at half the points at the end of the game.

Expansions:
* When playing the Traders and Builders Expansion, the player who completed the city receives no trade good counters.

* When playing the Princess and Dragon Expansion, the Fairy (if in Town) leaves the town immediately and can not be deployed there again.

* When playing the Tower Expansion, any towers within range of a brothel is negated and cannot capture other meeples.

* When playing the Abbey and Mayor Expansion, the mayor has a strength of zero, because the pennants scored 0.
The barn, see above (Farm).
The wagon, after scoring a road, can not be moved to the brothel.

* When playing the King and Robber Baron Expansion the completed city can not scored for a larger city, at the end of the game this city scored 0 point for the King.
This even pass for a road that is completed by a brothel, it can not scored for a larger road and at the end of the game this road scored 0 for the Robber Baron.

* When playing the Shrines&Heretics Expansion, the brothel don't  influence the challenge. In this case, the brothel tile scored as a normal tile.

4. Exception

If a brothel adjacent to a cloister, occupied with a monk, it is negated (no matter the order the tiles are laid), because the monks spend their lives trying to purge the area of the wooer and the wenches.
It also works (or functioned) with a Cathedral from I&C or an Abbey from A&M, but it must be occupied.
* By playing the Friar and Farmhand Expansion and using the 'Friar Scoring Counter' the cloister, cathedral and abbey, occupied with a Counter, also keep working.

5. Exception of the Exception

A Shrine from S&H, no matter if occupied or not, don't negated a brothel, because the heretics don't emulate the monks appointment.

Version History

0.1   First draft

Acknowledgements

I would like to thank:
Grant Smith for the idea of a brothel.
BoardGameGeek for publishing.
Chris Korfmann (CKorfmann) for his reminding.
google, babelfish and promt for helping in translation.
Gantry Rogue (Gantry) for creating the Carcassonne Central web site where this fan-made expansion was developed and hosted, and for his comments, which contributed to the development of this expansion.
Matthew Harper (mjharper) for the Completely Annotated Rules (CAR) for Carcassonne.
Scott (Scott) for inspiring this terrific template, and Jonathan Warren (Joff) for making the original template upon which this one was based.
markus
Cottager

Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 08:36:22 AM »

Hi again,

I tried to send a picture or pdf of the brothel tiles, but it dont works. I am not so good in this. Cry

My Tiles are simple made. I use 2 abbey tiles, erase the middle and paint a normal house. The red roofs of the 4 walls around and the red roof of the house made a perfect "red light district" Wink
Talisinbear
Duke

Merit: 2

Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 11:36:26 AM »

I like the basic premise

I think it could be simplified though.

Place a Brothel tile (it can go anywhere but a river)

any meeples places on that feature score zero, they are 'too busy' but they remain on the feature until it is completed.

Then they get the meeple back.

Alternately,

place a meeple on the brothel, and have it score in some fashion.
Scott
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Merit: 45

WWW Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 12:08:09 PM »

Hmm... I read this thread last night and wasn't interested, but now I am.

Here is my take on how this could work:

The brothel tile is like an abbey; you can place it adjacent to anything. If the brothel is not completely surrounded, you put a meeple on it to indicate ownership. Any features completed by the placement of the brothel are scored, but the owner of the feature gets zero points. The owner of the brothel gets one point for each meeple removed from the board. If the brothel completes a feature during a later turn, those features are also scored for zero points to the owner of the feature and one point per meeple to the owner of the brothel. When the brothel is completely surrounded, the brothel is complete and the meeple removed.

markus
Cottager

Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 09:24:06 AM »

To Talisinbear: yes thats it. But without an alternate.

To Scott: back your pardon, but the basic is that someone loose points and not get even one point.

By the way: The brothel can get very explosiv, if you play it with the 'Court magician' and you place it just befor finish to a highscore city ore field. So I think no one had to indicate ownership.
Scott
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Merit: 45

WWW Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 09:53:05 AM »

To Scott: back your pardon, but the basic is that someone loose points and not get even one point.

No worries. I will go in my own direction under a different expansion name.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: