Apprentices (Squires, Pickpockets and Farm Hands)
Carcassonne Central
April 27, 2024, 05:57:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: THESE FORUMS HAVE BEEN REPLACED. PLEASE GO TO THE NEW FORUMS: http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/

Home   Help Search Staff List Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Apprentices (Squires, Pickpockets and Farm Hands)  (Read 15693 times)
crasher
Freeman

Merit: 2

Awards
« on: July 15, 2007, 10:14:27 PM »

Good day! As you I'm sure you are probably aware the Travel Edition of Carcassonne along with its prerequisite miniaturized Meeples will soon be available in the US! This got me to thinking (since my version of CC is already quite portable) what other uses these diminutive new Meeples might have in a regular game.

Apprentices - A Carcassonne Variant

-Summary-
Apprentices are smaller Meeples from the Carcassonne Travel Edition. They are used to break ties on Cities, Roads and Farms.

-Setup-
Setup the game as normal distributing each player his requisite Meeples, Big Meeple, Pig and Builder. In addition give each player a number of small Meeples (Apprentices) equal to the number of players.

-Tile Placement-
When placing a tile (using only the base game) use the following new rule. You may in Lou of placing any other Meeple, place an Apprentice on a connected feature in which you already have one or more followers be they normal or Big. You may not place an Apprentice on a feature you already have an Apprentice on.

-Scoring-
When scoring a feature with multiple potential owners first remove any followers belonging to any player who does not have the majority on the feature being scored. Then compare the remaining player's number of Apprentices. The player with the most Apprentices on the feature scores that feature.

-General Notes-
Apprentices are not followers in the traditional sense much like the pig and builder. Therefore they are not counted when determining the majority control of a feature.

-Expansion Notes-
=Count of Carcassonne=
Apprentices are not followers (yet!) and so may not visit the City of Carcassonne.

=The Cathars=
A player may use an adjacent cloister to affect the escape of a Squire in a besieged city.

=The Princess and the Dragon=
Apprentices may be eaten by the dragon.
If the last Knight of a player is removed from a city by a princess all apprentices on that city are then returned as well.
Apprentices cannot use the Magic Gate.

=The Tower=
Apprentices cannot be taken prisoner or used to "cap" towers.

-Other Stuff-
It should be noted that I have been out of the loop as far as CC rules are concerned so I would leave mjharper to interpret my intention into the current rule set if I have made an error or broken some recent change to the rules.

-Copyright Notice-
This article is Copyright (C) 2007 James Searles (that's me!) and may not be reproduced without permission. Permission is granted until further notice to mjharper exclusively for use on his CarcassonneCentral.com website and in his rules/variants pdf's as long as I am credited and this copyright notice remains intact. Permission is also granted to BoardGameGeek.com to retain a single copy of the article and display in its original context of a variant post on the Carcassonne game page.

-Closing-
In closing I'd like to thank you for reading and hopefully trying this variant in your own games. As always your comments, suggestions and input are appreciated and welcome.

Thanks!
-crasher
Gantry
Administrator
Chatelain

Merit: 20

taken

WWW Awards
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007, 10:31:09 PM »

nice work!  all copyright notices remain intact, and every author gets full credit for their work!   Smiley

Have ideas for Carc Central?  PM me!
mjharper
Administrator
Baron

Merit: 25

WWW Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 05:45:00 AM »

Hi crasher! Good to meet you here!

Currently residing in the 'Where are they now?' file.
crasher
Freeman

Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 11:00:54 PM »

Sorry it took me so long! Smiley
Gantry
Administrator
Chatelain

Merit: 20

taken

WWW Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 11:08:33 PM »

Your variant is really cool, because as I've noted elsewhere, while I'm working on a database design for the variant registry, it never occured to me that someone would mix more than one game.  More than one expansion, yes, but to mix 2 different games is unique!  Will have to make the variant registry take this into account!   Coffee

Have ideas for Carc Central?  PM me!
crasher
Freeman

Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007, 11:18:17 PM »

I appreciate that. As mjharper knows I'm no stranger to variant design, rules interpretation or game combining. I prefer to play my version of Mega-Carcassonne but it's hard to find the time, player or space!

In reality, the mini-meeples aren't really needed, any token will do for playtest purposes. So far I've been using some pieces from other games for testing. I just figured that most of us would be buying at least one copy of the travel edition and having an alternative use for the game pieces would add an additional incentive. Once it's released I'm going to play around with incorporating the tiles themselves into a literal "mini game" played within a game of Carcassonne. That requires a lot more work than this so I'll wait till I get my hands on the real thing to see how they "stack up" next to the regular version.

PS: MJ, as some point I found some official Mega-Carcassonne rules from Hans im Gluck that I had you translate but I can no longer find the file on the geek, here or my computer.. any chance you remember them or have the file?

-crasher
crasher
Freeman

Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2007, 11:35:19 PM »

I can't seem to edit so I'll just post this followup instead.

Official Mega-Carcassonne Rules:

http://www.hans-im-glueck.de/downloads/regel_turnier.doc
http://www.hans-im-glueck.de/downloads/regel_turnier_engl.doc

So much for off topic stuff. What do others think of "Apprentices"?

-crasher
crasher
Freeman

Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2007, 11:36:53 PM »

oops!

German
English
Tobias
Global Moderator
Viscount

Merit: 9

The last cookie!

Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2007, 12:59:18 AM »

One question: What does in Lou mean? (I'm swedish ... ).

Nature finds a way. Tobias finds two.
mjharper
Administrator
Baron

Merit: 25

WWW Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2007, 01:41:03 AM »

@crasher

I don't remember seeing those before, certainly not translating them. I'll have a look now…

Currently residing in the 'Where are they now?' file.
crasher
Freeman

Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2007, 02:42:17 PM »

"in Lou" is a joke on "in lieu" it means "instead of" or "in place of"

Smiley
canada steve
Global Moderator
Marquis

Merit: 7

Forum Moderator

Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2007, 10:03:14 PM »

Nice variant there Crasher.

One question would you be able to place an apprentice to start a feature off ? For example if you have run out of non-vertically challenged meeple and are only left with the short stops could you place one on a new feature ?

"In Lou"  Huh? I dont get it , "In Loo" yes  Grin

Nice work.

Cheers

Canada Steve
crasher
Freeman

Awards
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2007, 03:02:09 PM »

@canada steve
No you can't start a feature off with an Apprentice, they're too inexperienced! Think of them like the builder or the pig for all uses not specified.

Thanks for the feedback!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: