English Translation of Die Wälder von Carcassonne?
Carcassonne Central
April 27, 2024, 01:03:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: THESE FORUMS HAVE BEEN REPLACED. PLEASE GO TO THE NEW FORUMS: http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/

Home   Help Search Staff List Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: English Translation of Die Wälder von Carcassonne?  (Read 11998 times)
Amorpheus
Authors
Freeman

Merit: 1

:P discogs.com/Cathars-Amorpheus/release/239544

Awards
« on: August 02, 2011, 11:43:01 AM »

Has anyone been to this website (http://www.carcassonne-welt.de/download.php) and downloaded the Die Wälder von Carcassonne fan expansion?  At least to me, this looks like a fun expansion, with well-made tiles and rules.  The problem I have is that the rules are in German, which Google Translate can only do so much to help with.

If anyone with German language abilities has already translated these rules, please pass them along.  Alternatively (and less-preferred), I can share my attempt at it if someone who speaks German and English can help find inaccurate translations.
Fritz_Spinne
Freeman

Awards
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 01:54:37 PM »

You need two extra tree-coins. (I made two of a small branch.)

Mix the tiles with all other tiles.
Lay the forest-tiles like all other tiles, if it doesn't fit anywhere, mix it in and draw another tile.

The Forest-Tiles
You can deploy a meeple as a woodsman only on the first laid forest-tile. A completed forest scores 3 points per tile for the player with the most woodsman.
You may only deploy a farmer on a field on a tile with forest if there is a city on that same tile.

The Avenue
With the avenue-tiles you can build roads, a completed road scores 3 points for every Avenue-tile, 1 point for normal road-tiles.

The Stack of Wood (literally pile or funeral pyre)
The stack of wood scores at the end.

The Tree
You can deploy a meeple on the tree (head downwards). The tree is completeted if there a 3 tiles left, right, up and down. (Tiles 1-12 in the picture.) Scoring: 13 points.
If you deploy a meeple, you give a tree-coin to the next/left player.

The Tree-Coin
Whoever has a tree-coin at the end has to subtrract 10 points. To avoid this you have lay a tile vertically or horizontally to one of the trees and deploy a meeple on that tile. Then you may give the tree-coin to the next/left player.
You can lay the tile for one of the trees independent of which tree-coin you have.

The Leave-Tile (Tile with green leave-icon)
You can deploy a meeple on the area with the green leave-icon even so if there is already a follower deployed. You can also deploy a woodsman in the forest if it is not the first wood-tile. (Mark that follower by putting it on the green leave-icon.)

The Withered-Leave-Tile (Tile with brown leave-icon)
If you lay this tile to an area with a follower deployed by the green leave-icon you can take back that follower. You may only deploy a follower in the area with the withered leave-icon if there is no follower in that city or if it is the first forest-tile.

End-Scoring
Score 1 point for every forest-tile, avenue-tile or tree-area-tile (but not in a road with inn at the lake).
Score 2 points for every completed forest touching a field for the farmer. Score 5 points bonus for the wood stack in your field.
Subtract 10 points for every tree-coin.

Extra-Rules

You can give the tree-coin to the next player by using a builder, a pig, a mayor, a wagon or a barn on the tile.

The Avenue scores 3 points per tile if there is an inn at the lake, the other road tiles score 2 points.

You may use the builder in the forest. If there is a pig in the field the forest scores 3 points.

You may use the magic portal to deploy a woodsman in a forest.

If a woodsman is captured by a tower the meeple is layed down in the forest. Now every player may deploy a woodsman in this forest. If there is a new woodsman the captured one is given back to the player.

A completed forest scores 3 points if there is a barn in the field.

I hope this helps. Any futher questions?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 10:05:19 PM by Fritz_Spinne » Logged
Amorpheus
Authors
Freeman

Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 11:01:16 AM »

Awesome.  Thanks for interpreting.  I will compare this to Google's suggestions to see where I need to make corrections.  I might hit you up for some further questions after doing that.
Amorpheus
Authors
Freeman

Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 01:18:11 PM »

There are a couple of minor points that I could use clarification on.

Under the Withered Leaf Tile, I have interpreted the 2nd bullet point to be "A withered leaf tile cannot be placed in an area already containing a withered leaf if the area (city or forest) is occupied."  Is this correct/close or have I missed the point of this bullet?

Google has translated (with some adjustments) the Tower amendment as follows: "If a tower takes a Woodsman prisoner, another Woodsman may be used again in this forest area (without having to use a leaf tile). As a reminder, the captive Woodsman put into the forest area only comes back to the player when the forest has been completed. This can never be in the worst case."  Can you provide a better translation of this rule?  The last sentence doesn't make much sense to me.

Thanks again for your help with this.
Fritz_Spinne
Freeman

Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 04:45:11 PM »

Withered leave, 2nd bullet: On a withered leave tile it's not allowed to deploy a follower on an area already occupied. I think this sentence is written to point out the difference to the green leave tile.

Tower: ... As a reminder the captive woodsman should be laid down (like a farmer) in the wood, he comes back to the player when the forest has been completed. In the worst case this will be never.
Amorpheus
Authors
Freeman

Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 06:44:57 PM »

Thanks yet again!     Grin
Amorpheus
Authors
Freeman

Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 10:25:56 AM »

With the generous help of Fritz_Spinne, I have translated the German rules for Die Wälder von Carcassonne into English, using the excellent format developed by the creator of this expansion.  I sent an email to the creator, Andreas J. Haselbeck, to see if he is willing to allow me to share my translation with this community.  Thus far, I haven't heard back (which may be due to sending the email in English).

If anyone else is interested in English rules for this expansion, please post or send me a private message, and I will send him a follow up message.  According to the website, this looks to be a copyrighted creation, so I don't believe I can share anything without the creator's consent.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 10:27:29 AM by Amorpheus » Logged
Scott
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Merit: 45

WWW Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2011, 08:45:06 AM »

The English text is copyrighted to the translator, so you don't need permission to share that, but you would need permission to share it in the creator's format because the artwork is copyright to the creator(s).

Amorpheus
Authors
Freeman

Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2011, 03:02:29 PM »

Thank you Scott for clarifying that for me. Definitely don't want to cause any issues, such as we've seen recently with the German eBay postings.  It will take some work to pull the text back out of the creator's format (working with a pdf I had to use many text boxes...), but I will share it that way if I don't hear back from the creator.
Amorpheus
Authors
Freeman

Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2011, 09:52:18 AM »

No word back from the emails I sent to the expansion's creator.  Too bad, since that version of the translated rules looks great.  In the alternative, with much thanks to Scott and Fritz_Spinne, I have uploaded the translated rules (minus the artwork), which can be downloaded here:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/38027001/Die_W%C3%A4lder_Translated_to_English.pdf

If anyone notices any incorrect translations, please let me know and I will update the document.
Amorpheus
Authors
Freeman

Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2011, 10:36:01 AM »

We played a paper trial run of this fan expansion last week, and the mechanics were a lot of fun.  There is definitely a lot of points that can be scored on forests, since they are 3 points per segment, so I like the rule of having to place a Woodsman on the first segment only.  On the down side, the tiles could cause an issue for farm scoring, since several of the forest sections come close but do not quite reach the corner of the tile (with spacing similar to that of the lake at the end of the River I).  I may try to adjust that before making the actual tiles to remove a possible area for contention.

As you can see in the picture, the coloring of the new tiles differs from the base game, especially the green fields.  This is how they were uploaded by the creator, not based on my printer.  I will likely adjust that as well for a cleaner look.

neosatan
Nobleman

Merit: 5

Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2011, 10:48:07 AM »

I haven't printed the forests expansion, nor this one, but it seems that this one is a smaller version of forests. Can anyone do a brief review on this one in compare to forests?
Talisinbear
Duke

Merit: 2

Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2011, 12:50:54 PM »

so where can one access the tiles?
neosatan
Nobleman

Merit: 5

Awards
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2011, 01:12:05 PM »

You can download them from the site mentioned above.
Amorpheus
Authors
Freeman

Awards
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2011, 09:44:16 AM »

I haven't printed the forests expansion, nor this one, but it seems that this one is a smaller version of forests. Can anyone do a brief review on this one in compare to forests?

Unfortunately, I'm still in the process of creating tiles for the Forest expansion on CC (I'm trying to cut down on the number of tiles but also trying to keep one of each type).  The expansion shown here is definitely smaller than Forests.  I would also be interested in a comparison of Forests to this expansion.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: