Fan Expansion - Carcassonne: Labyrinth
Carcassonne Central
April 26, 2024, 11:10:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: THESE FORUMS HAVE BEEN REPLACED. PLEASE GO TO THE NEW FORUMS: http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/

Home   Help Search Staff List Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Fan Expansion - Carcassonne: Labyrinth  (Read 11788 times)
CARC_Zoner
Authors
Vassal

Merit: 2

Awards
« on: March 16, 2011, 05:18:48 PM »

LATEST UPDATE: Here is the link to version 2 of Carcassonne: Labyrinth, which uses a new mechanic, and also adds an element of urgency to complete the "labyrinth tile" (along the lines of the suggestion by Carcking below).  Thanks for the comments! I have acknowleged everyone in the document.  The new link is below:

http://www.mediafire.com/?ld6v6iyzlvo0xib

The file size increased dramatically - not sure why.

==

Here's my latest fan expansion.  It features four new landscape tiles and a very simple but fun mechanic.

Carcassonne: Labyrinth

Vast labyrinths are appearing in the landscape around Carcassonne, drawing devotees and the merely curious into their twisting and limitless walled pathways. If they could escape after wandering disoriented for so long, they would be shocked by all of the changes!

The link for the download follows:

UPDATE: Original rules removed for further development (see below):

http://www.mediafire.com/?bw8drmp4gm8m1md

CARC_Zoner
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 06:45:19 PM by CARC_Zoner » Logged
Sekim
Nobleman

Merit: 3

Awards
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 12:19:30 PM »

I like the idea. And the fact that it's only 4 tiles, prevents the game from turning into a mess.
These tiles can actually be very powerful. Especially farming needs to be reconsidered more careful.
CARC_Zoner
Authors
Vassal

Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 03:42:48 PM »

If anyone is interested in play testing this expansion, existing tiles from The Princess & The Dragon and The Tower can be substituted for the labyrinth tiles, as shown in the attached image.  If you like it, then you may want to create the actual expansion tiles!

I agree, Sekim, this could really change the dynamics of a game.  For example, would it be better to hold off farming until the labyrinth tiles are all drawn?

CARC_Zoner
CARC_Zoner
Authors
Vassal

Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 04:08:37 PM »

I was just re-reading the rule sheet for La Porxada, which gives two options for playing the tile.  I can quote the English rules:

The first option is that after placing La Porxada, his player may exchange a meeple that he has in play by the meeple of another player, also in play.  The chosen player can negate the exchange, but then he has to eliminate one of his meeples for the rest of the game.

I only played with this tile once awhile ago, but it seems pretty obvious to me now that the rules I have developed for Carcassonne: Labyrinth were unintentionally derivative of this mechanic. Shocked  My apologies to Oriol Comas i Coma who developed La Porxada.  Embarrassed  

As such, I am removing the original file from being accessible for download and will develop wholly original rules for their use.  Sorry also to the several dozen who have already downloaded the draft rules.

Does anyone have any good suggestions? The name of the fan expansion and the tiles need not change, but the result of sending a follower into the labyrinth will need to be adapted to be unique.

CARC_Zoner

« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 06:28:21 PM by CARC_Zoner » Logged
CARC_Zoner
Authors
Vassal

Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 06:52:40 PM »

My current thinking for the Carcassonne: Labyrinth fan expansion:

When the labyrinth tile is drawn and placed, the player may place a (regular) follower from his or her supply onto the labyrinth symbol, which will allow that player to move one of his or her followers already in play onto another feature on that same tile.  Moving from a road to a farm would be a great advantage, for example (in this case, the follower would be able to join another player's farm).  According to the theme, when you enter the labyrinth in one place, you may leave it in a completely different place.

The follower placed on the labyrinth symbol could be returned to the player's supply in two circumstances - when the next labyinth tile is placed or when the original labyrinth tile is "completed" by being surrounded by tiles (much like a cloister), but no points would be awarded.  This would also fit into the theme, as one would need to wander for awhile until discovering the exit of the labyrinth. Any expansion that allows for the removal of followers (such as by the dragon or a tower) would also work to remove the follower from the labyrinth.

As there are only four tiles, this potentially powerful move would only take place four times.  Still, a lot of strategy could come into play with these tiles.

Please let me know if this mechanic is used in another fan expansion; if so, I will give acknowledgements.

I'll revise the original document and put it back up early this week.

CARC_Zoner
Carcking
Authors
Marquis

Merit: 8

I call Red!

WWW Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 03:18:09 AM »

Hey CARC_Zoner,
Here's an idea. If the follower in the labyrinth is killed or captured before the feature is completed, the "converted" follower is also removed. That would give you a little urgency for getting the feature completed.

I presume when you say "on that same tile" you are referring to the current tile of the follower being converted, not the newly placed labyrinth tile.

Who's your favorite? Knight, Thief, Farmer or Monk?

Find CC Fanspansions Here
CARC_Zoner
Authors
Vassal

Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 05:28:13 PM »

Hey Carcking,

Thanks for your input!  I like your idea of putting a sense of urgency on finishing the feature.  While your idea wouldn't apply to the base game, it could with some expansions (I think that only The Tower, The Plague and The Princess and the Dragon can kill or capture these followers).  One concern is that farmers that switch from a road or city onto a farm will not be able to complete the feature until the end of the game (although smaller farms can be fully enclosed before the end of the game).

Perhaps it could be set that the feature would need to be finished before the next cloister tile is drawn - that would add some urgency, definitely! But again, the farming issue comes into play.

Another option would be that if the "labyrinth feature" is finished (like a cloister) before the switched follower scores, the switched follower would be removed.  This would get the other players involved to finish the "labyrinth feature" to deny the switching player his or her points. But again, the issue of "completing" farms would be a problem.  And perhaps players would rather finish their own real cloisters with certain tiles to earn points than the labyrinth tiles to deny points to another player. 

Another issue with both ideas would be with having a simple way to keep track of which follower did the switch.  Perhaps a token could be placed under the switching follower, or maybe it can simply be turned on its head.

Any thoughts?

CARC_Zoner
Carcking
Authors
Marquis

I call Red!

WWW Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 06:55:24 PM »

Hi CARC_Zoner,
What I had meant was the completion of the Labyrinth feature (9 tile grid I suppose). But you're right about it only being applicable with other expansions that provide for the removal of followers. Maybe there is a way to create a sense of competition/urgency that will mesh with the basic game and not rely on other expansions. Have to think on it some more.

Carcking
Authors
Marquis

I call Red!

WWW Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 07:03:31 PM »

Ok, I just read your revised rules. I think you did it. You made it mesh with the basic game, and it's not dependent on any expansions. I like it.

Good job CARC_Zoner!

CARC_Zoner
Authors
Vassal

Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2011, 06:22:33 PM »

High five!

CARC_Zoner
Scott
Authors
Duke Chevalier