Dragons & the Dark Faery
Carcassonne Central
April 27, 2024, 04:23:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: THESE FORUMS HAVE BEEN REPLACED. PLEASE GO TO THE NEW FORUMS: http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/

Home   Help Search Staff List Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Dragons & the Dark Faery  (Read 7395 times)
Carcatronn
Authors
Count

Merit: 7

See you around the Shoppe!

WWW Awards
« on: September 24, 2011, 12:14:26 AM »

I just thought of an awesome new set! Create slightly smaller Dragon Meeple (baby dragons if you will) out of wood, and paint them in the main 6 colors. There will be 6 new tiles with a Dragon Egg in the corresponding Dragon Meeple color ( like a spotted yoshi egg). Only add the colors that are in play. Once your color is drawn regardless who is placing it, this will spawn the corresponding baby dragon on that tile like the volcano. Moving forward, the player who matches this dragon color will now have the choice of moving the baby dragon 1 space instead of placing a Meeple on their turn. Only those who's colored dragon is in play has this choice. If a baby dragon is moved on a tile with another Meeple, then it is returned back to that players supply like the normal dragon rules.

Then, to make things more interesting, take the Faery Meeple and paint it black. The Dark Faery can be played instead of placing a Meeple that turn.  However, you place it on an opponents Meeple in play rather than yours like the original Faery. If the Dark Faery remains during the start of your opponents turn, they lose one point off the board. And yes, if the feature is completed with the Meeple and the Dark Faery together, you subtract 3 points.  Grin

Possibly one more add could be adding more Princess tiles (maybe upgrade to Queen?) but instead of removing Meeple from a city, the player drawing this tile can automatically add their Meeple in the city regardless if it is already occupied. Since this could be really powerful, maybe only 1 or 2 of this "Queen" tile.

What do you guys think? I am sure someone would be up for making baby dragons for all of us to offer donations to.

GAKDragon
Villein

Merit: 2

WWW Awards
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 05:52:03 AM »

I love the idea of the Hatchlings - but then I seem to love anything that involves pieces specifically for each player (shepherds, assassins, etc).  The tile with the eggs could be something like a cave, for a dragon's den, with the egg visible in/near the entrance. 

I also like the queen idea.  Perhaps it should be limited to normal followers only?  No mayors or Big followers can be placed this way. 

The Dark Faery sounds vicious.  But then, I've never played with the real Fairy, so I don't have much perspective on the mechanics.  Although, there was that an expansion with the Prince and the Fairy Queen - I can't seem to find it on the forum, and I don't have my hard drive plugged in at the moment.  I'll take a look at the rules later and see how it compares to this idea. 
Carcatronn
Authors
Count

WWW Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 01:31:11 PM »

The tile with the eggs could be something like a cave, for a dragon's den, with the egg visible in/near the entrance. 
Excellent idea! We could use the volcano and cut a cave into it with the exposed egg.

I also like the queen idea.  Perhaps it should be limited to normal followers only?  No mayors or Big followers can be placed this way.

Yes only the normal followers can be added to help not be too powerful.

The Dark Faery sounds vicious.  But then, I've never played with the real Fairy, so I don't have much perspective on the mechanics.  Although, there was that an expansion with the Prince and the Fairy Queen - I can't seem to find it on the forum, and I don't have my hard drive plugged in at the moment.  I'll take a look at the rules later and see how it compares to this idea. 

The Dark Faery is my favorite piece of this since subtracting points would be so fulfilling! Grin i tried looking too since I remember someone making different rules for the Faery. Would make sense if already done as the dark Faery is simply the exact opposite of the original Faery who gives you points instead of subtracting. All in all, I think this would be an excellent expansion! Just wish I had the tools to make the hatchlings myself.

CKorfmann
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Merit: 32

Pigs are meeple too!

Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 08:04:56 PM »

The idea of the baby dragons sounds fun to me.  That might be cool.  I'm sure kids would love it!  The dark faery sound interesting, but in all the games I've played with the fairy, it's quite difficult to remember it at all.  We even forgot to add our points for it pretty frequently.  Not sure why that is and perhaps it would be easier if we played it more.  Not sure if I'm too keen on the queen idea.

I didn't bother looking for the Fairy Queen and Prince expansion, but I know it's on BGG.  I do however have it downloaded in my Carc file so I thought it would be just as simple to quote it here.

The Fairy Queen is similar to the Fairy in Carcassonne: The Princess and The Dragon. This fairy does protect you from the dragon, but if the Fairy Queen is in a city when it is completed the winner(s) of the city lose 1 meeple to the Fairy Queen. The “captive” meeples are released when the Fairy Queen takes another “captive.” (The Fairy Queen movements are the same as the Fairy from Carcassonne: The Princess and The Dragon.)

The prince has come for his princess. The prince tile adds a few new twists to the game.
    When the prince tile is played in a city all meeples are removed from the city.
    No meeples can be placed in the city until a princess tile is played.
    Only one princess tile can be in a city with the prince tile.
    The prince tile has no effect if played in a city with one princess tile.
    The prince tile cannot be played in a city with more than one princess tile.
    If the “riding dragon” (from Carcassonne: Dragon Rider and Slayer) passes through a city that has the prince tile the rider returns to its owner.

Flee the fleas!
Scott
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Merit: 45

WWW Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 07:42:59 AM »

What would happen if two dragons come into contact? Are one or both of them removed from play for the rest of the game?

I don't think I like the idea of player-specific dragons, though I'm not one for aggressive expansions. I already get enough grief from other players for moving the neutral dragon towards their meeples.

Regarding the dark faery, I think you need to add one more thing: have it lure the neutral dragon.

CKorfmann
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Merit: 32

Pigs are meeple too!

Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 10:10:12 AM »

What would happen if two dragons come into contact?
That's a good question.

Regarding the dark faery, I think you need to add one more thing: have it lure the neutral dragon.
I like that idea a lot.

Flee the fleas!
Carcatronn
Authors
Count

WWW Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 01:53:20 PM »

The dark faery sound interesting, but in all the games I've played with the fairy, it's quite difficult to remember it at all.  We even forgot to add our points for it pretty frequently.

Smiley we forget a lot too and it always ends up with someone saying "hey I forgot to take fairy points last turn I should be able to score them." but i have a feeling no one will forget to subtract points from their opponents with the dark faery  Grin

Not sure if I'm too keen on the queen idea.

Me either, but trying to think of a princess variant to help complete this expansion.  I liked the Fairy Queen expansion, sounds fun. Was this the one with the black fairy?

Carcatronn
Authors
Count

WWW Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 02:10:36 PM »

What would happen if two dragons come into contact? Are one or both of them removed from play for the rest of the game?

To keep it simple, I think the dragons shouldn't be able to come into contact. Dragons cannot move off the board or on another space occupied with another dragon (this includes the neutral dragon).  If the dragon is blocked by another dragon, then it will not be able to be moved until the other one has. 

I like that idea a lot.

Me too! So the neutral dragon must be moved towards the direction of the dark faery possibly forcing you to take out your Meeple when normally it could have been avoided. This would be a ruling if you chose to play both expansions together. However, playing both may overload the options to the player: play a Meeple, move the fairy, move the dark faery, or move your personal dragon.

Carcatronn
Authors
Count

WWW Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 02:19:05 PM »

What you guys think of cutting the wing and back off the neutral dragon, sanding it down, and painting it for the hatchlings?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: