The Guilds
Carcassonne Central
March 28, 2024, 11:28:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: THESE FORUMS HAVE BEEN REPLACED. PLEASE GO TO THE NEW FORUMS: http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/

Home   Help Search Staff List Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Guilds  (Read 9550 times)
Scott
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Merit: 45

WWW Awards
« on: February 26, 2012, 01:16:38 PM »

In an earlier thread, entitled The brothel I wrote about an idea for how a brothel tile could work. This gave me additional ideas which are outside the scope of the brothel thread. I think this could expanded to a collection of tiles which I'm grouping under the name of "The Guilds". The inspiration for this collection comes from the Assassin's Creed games. In Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood were featured the following four guilds:

• Assassins Guild
  • Mercenaries Guild
  • Courtesans Guild
  • Thieves Guild

I am thinking of one or two tiles for each guild, each with a similar but slightly different mechanic. All tiles would be like Abbey tiles in that they can be placed adjacent to anything.

Assassins Guild

The Assassins Guild tile allows the owner to assassinate one follower from anywhere on the table, either during the same turn that the tile is placed or during a subsequent turn. If the player chooses to wait for a subsequent turn, he/she must place a follower on the Assassins Guild tile and leave it there until he/she chooses to assassinate a follower.

Mercenaries Guild

The Mercenaries Guild tile allows the owner to occupy an adjacent but unoccupied feature. The feature must be incomplete prior to placing the Mercenaries Guild tile.

Courtesans Guild

The Courtesans Guild tile allows the owner to remove followers from adjacent features as they are completed. The owner of the Courtesans Guild tile scores one point for each follower removed; the owners of adjacent features score nothing.

Thieves Guild

The Thieves Guild tile allows the owner to score one point for each completed adjacent road and one point for each road connected to an adjacent city. If any roads are not complete, the owner may place a follower on the Guild tile until all roads are completed to score for them.

CKorfmann
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Merit: 32

Pigs are meeple too!

Awards
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 06:19:38 PM »

That sounds interesting, but what if instead of copying from the video game, what if we changed it to reflect the four basic Follower types?  It might change the themes a little bit and possibly some mechanics, but I'll bet it could be done without changing too much.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 10:35:10 AM by CKorfmann » Logged

Flee the fleas!
Scott
Authors
Duke Chevalier

WWW Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 07:44:14 PM »

I based the mechanics off the name of the guilds, and part of the point was to add prostitutes to the game (viz. the brothel). I also think that making the guilds specific to the follower types would require limiting each guild to be deployed to that feature type, whereas these can be deployed anywhere. We have expansions for Lord of the Rings and Wizard of Oz, so I think Assassin's Creed would be ok also. Of those three, Assassin's Creed is the most realistic and appropriate to the time period.

BTW, I'm not mad at you in case it seems like it from this post.

markus
Cottager

Merit: 0

Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 09:07:25 AM »

The Guilds...  mmh... sounds almost like an idea from Terry Pratchett's Diskworld.  Grin
CKorfmann
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Merit: 32

Pigs are meeple too!

Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 10:36:08 AM »

BTW, I'm not mad at you in case it seems like it from this post.

No problem, just thinking out loud.

Flee the fleas!
Carcatronn
Authors
Count

Merit: 7

See you around the Shoppe!

WWW Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 01:25:07 PM »

I really like the idea of these guilds! Each player could possibly join only one guild or get to choose from one of the guild tile stacks for special tiles. The wheels are beginning to turn here   Grin

Carcatronn
Authors
Count

WWW Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 05:13:23 PM »

That sounds interesting, but what if instead of copying from the video game, what if we changed it to reflect the four basic Follower types?  It might change the themes a little bit and possibly some mechanics, but I'll bet it could be done without changing too much.

I think CK may have something here.. If we did a Farmers Guild, Master Thieves Guild, Templars Guild, and maybe a Bishops Guild, we could make each one unique to that specific followers type and morph multiple features.

a Templars Guild tile could be both a city/cloister feature making your knight score points for both a city and a cloister with one Meeple.

A Master Thieves Guild tile could be both a road/city feature making your thief score points for both a road and city with one Meeple.

Farmers Guild could be a farm/road/city feature...

Bishops Guild could be cloister/road feature....

Just thinking out loud, maybe could be a different expansion altogether, just the guild idea got me thinking  Grin

Scott
Authors
Duke Chevalier

WWW Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 05:20:20 PM »

Those ideas are quite a bit different and would be better served by a different expansion I think. The Knights Templar is an order, not a guild. I'm not aware of any farmers' guilds either, and there was certainly no clerical guilds.

Carcatronn
Authors
Count

WWW Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 07:15:31 PM »

Those ideas are quite a bit different and would be better served by a different expansion I think. The Knights Templar is an order, not a guild. I'm not aware of any farmers' guilds either, and there was certainly no clerical guilds.

Google came up with all four, but I know they're not accurate guilds  :Smiley lol... Mainly was brainstorming possible tiles based on specific follower types in "groups"...but your right, different expansion.

Scott
Authors
Duke Chevalier

WWW Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2012, 10:52:24 AM »

This expansion is done:
http://carcassonnecentral.com/forum/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=177

The rules have pretty much stayed as originally designed. I increased the number of tiles to 3 of each type, for a total of 12 tiles.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: