Dominions
Carcassonne Central
April 24, 2024, 11:41:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: THESE FORUMS HAVE BEEN REPLACED. PLEASE GO TO THE NEW FORUMS: http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/

Home   Help Search Staff List Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Dominions  (Read 21521 times)
Carcatronn
Authors
Count

Merit: 7

See you around the Shoppe!

WWW Awards
« on: February 29, 2012, 03:01:51 PM »

Image above courtesy of JPutt927

I thought up a simple 1 tile expansion that sections off four kingdoms of the map.  Can't decide whether to call it Kingdoms, Districts, or Quarters changed to Dominions. But anyways, this tile gets placed next to the starting tile.  The starting player decides how it is placed.  Below is the tile (and token markers):

Here is how to play it:

To claim a Dominion, you must be the first do achieve one of the following conquests within the corresponding Dominion:
  • Cardinals - Complete a cloister within the Dominion (Shrines are okay)
  • Market- Deploy a farmer with at least one completed city in the farm within the Dominion (a variant could be you must deploy a Barn that scores one of your farmers thus "completing" a feature so to speak)
  • Knights- Complete a city containing at least 3 tiles within the Dominion
  • Thieves- Complete a road containing at least 4 tiles within the Dominion
Once a player has completed their first feature in one of the four sections, they claim that Dominion on the map for the entire game. In the chance the feature extends into multiple Dominions, the player claims the kingdom of where the feature was completed in.   No other player may claim a Dominion that has already been claimed by another and each player may only claim one Dominion at a time (except in a two player game, each player can claim two Dominions. To allow a 5 or 6 player game, up to two Dominions can be claimed by up to two players.)  Thinking of making token markers so each player remembers which kingdom they claimed. Thoughts on token markers? The player deploys their follower, the Viceroy, to the corresponding watermark on the Dominions tile to claim their lands. The Viceroy remains there for the entire game.

Now, imagine each road shown on the Dominions tile as an armistice line that continues forever.  Features started and completed on the armistice line is considered neutral and is scored like normal.When a player has claimed their Dominion, they each have their special privileges:
  • The Top Left Dominion shows favor from the Cardinals, and therefore cloisters are awarded 3 extra points if the monk belongs to the player who claimed this Dominion.
  • The Top Right Dominion is controlled by Knights, and therefore cities are awarded 1 extra point if the knight(s) belong to the player who claimed this Dominion.
  • The Bottom Left Dominion is run by the Market, and therefore farms are awarded 1 extra point per completed city if the farmer belongs to the player who claimed this Dominion.
  • The Bottom Right Dominion has been taken over by Thieves, and therefore roads are awarded 2 extra point if the thief belongs to the player who claimed this Dominion.

If a follower is placed on a city or road in a kingdom claimed by another player, they run the risk of breaking the peace and losing their life.  If the player who has claim on the Kingdom takes majority of the feature when it is completed, the other player(s) follower(s) are removed from the game.

This also goes for cities or roads that started in one kingdom and crosses any of the armistice lines. The player who's kingdom the city or road is completed in has the chance to take the other follower's life if they have majority.

Having claim over the Dominion allows you to "win" tie breakers of majority instead of sharing the wealth.

However, invading players have a chance to overthrow your Viceroy from your Dominion! In order do do so, one of the following conquests must be achieved within the corresponding Dominions:

• Cardinals- To overthrow, you must win a challenge between a Cloister and a Cloister (Or a Shrine and a Cloister, both instances using the rules from the Shrines) with the player
  • Knights- To overthrow, you must take majority and complete a city you and the player both shared
  • Market- To overthrow, you must take majority of the farm you and the player shared (At any point during the game)
  • Thieves- To overthrow, you must take majority and complete a road you and the player both shared

If you no longer have claim over a Dominion, your Viceroy is returned back to your supply.  The Dominion is now up for grabs again and can be claimed per the rules stated above.

What is everyone's input on this?

« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 02:21:56 AM by Carcatronn » Logged

CKorfmann
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Merit: 32

Pigs are meeple too!

Awards
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 05:46:21 PM »

This sounds like it could be interesting.  The murderous aspect is especially interesting.  It could make for some tense situations.  Well done on the tile as well.  Did you do the are for it yourself?

Flee the fleas!
Carcking
Authors
Marquis

Merit: 8

I call Red!

WWW Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 05:52:38 PM »

I like this. It has merit.
Do the owners of the kingdoms only get the bonus points in their kingdom? Or do they get the bonus points anywhere on the board?

Who's your favorite? Knight, Thief, Farmer or Monk?

Find CC Fanspansions Here
Carcatronn
Authors
Count

WWW Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 06:53:33 PM »

This sounds like it could be interesting.  The murderous aspect is especially interesting.  It could make for some tense situations.  Well done on the tile as well.  Did you do the are for it yourself?

Thanks CK! The castle was cropped and edited from the B, C, & B tokens.  Except for the shield, the other icons were scanned in from cards of another game, Ruse and Bruise (Which I must say is a very fun card game from RGG). So unfortunately, I can only take credit for photoshopping  Wink

I like this. It has merit.
Do the owners of the kingdoms only get the bonus points in their kingdom? Or do they get the bonus points anywhere on the board?

The owners only get the privileges within their own kingdoms, outside of the armistice lines all features are scored like normal for each player.  However, I haven't tested this yet to see if the powers equal out. I am hoping the Cardinal's point system is good enough, since the likelihood of the owner getting every cloister is next to nill... so maybe give a point or two more if the other kingdoms dominate. I assume it will always be picked last, or more likely the last player gets stuck with it hehe.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 06:56:27 PM by Carcatronn » Logged

JPutt927
Authors
Duke

Conquering the world...One tile at a time.

Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 08:55:37 PM »

The castle was cropped and edited from the B, C, & B tokens.

Nice job on the castle image. As you will see in the near future, it's nearly identical to an image I used for my "Treaties and Traitors" expansion.  Smiley
Carcatronn
Authors
Count

WWW Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 09:22:32 PM »

Nice job on the castle image. As you will see in the near future, it's nearly identical to an image I used for my "Treaties and Traitors" expansion.  Smiley

Thanks JPutt! "Treaties and Traitors" sounds like it could be very similar to Kingdoms, hope not.  In any case, I am excited to see all of your new ones! Especially the Shoppe for obvious reasons  Wink

Whaleyland
Authors
Viscount

Merit: 28

Often the loser, but still undefeated.

WWW Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 09:34:41 PM »

I like the idea but I'm not a huge fan of a few aspects. First, what is the status of the "line tiles", those tiles that stretch in a cross from the center tile? Are they neutral? Also, perhaps instead of removing the followers, meeples in their own zones should win ties. I feel that would be more balanced and be more in the traditional Carcassonne style. Finally, what is the incentive for people to try and get points in other people's lands? I'd just avoid them if I get more points in my own. You may want to add a conquest option using wood blocks or something (think Agricola).

'There is no place in a fanatic's head where reason can enter'.
- Napoleon Bonaparte I, Emperor of the French (1804-1814, 1815)
Carcatronn
Authors
Count

WWW Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 09:53:10 PM »

I like the idea but I'm not a huge fan of a few aspects. First, what is the status of the "line tiles", those tiles that stretch in a cross from the center tile? Are they neutral? Also, perhaps instead of removing the followers, meeples in their own zones should win ties. I feel that would be more balanced and be more in the traditional Carcassonne style. Finally, what is the incentive for people to try and get points in other people's lands? I'd just avoid them if I get more points in my own. You may want to add a conquest option using wood blocks or something (think Agricola).

Thanks for the feedback Whaleyland! If a feature was started and completed on the "line tiles" and did not cross the armistice line, it would be counted as neutral and score with normal rulings.  The feature must start or end in a designated kingdom before reaping the privileges (or attacking). 

I really like your idea of meeples in their own kingdoms win ties! To clarify, are you meaning if a "Cardinal" meeple and another meeple have equal majority, the "Cardinal" meeple (within the Cardinal Kingdom) wins?

Placing your meeple in other kingdoms does not provide much incentive, however my thought would be people will play their tiles anywhere like normal regardless of kingdoms.. There is just more "risk" when doing so (And I know I will not just let someone win a big city or road because its outside my kingdom).  And sometimes, you have no control if a feature crosses the armistice line and then it becomes a race to avoid war.  It would encourage the players to play specific tiles within their kingdom to get extra points, which adds to the fun factor.  I guess we will not know until we get some good test games in, which I am hoping will happen this weekend.  I will report my findings if it happens.

I am curious about this conquest idea? I haven't played Agricola yet (I know), so could you provide more detail?

Carcking
Authors
Marquis

I call Red!

WWW Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 03:24:07 AM »

Carcatronn, how about the name "Dominions"?

Also, maybe instead of tokens indicating ownership of the kingdom the player must invest a follower on the corresponding corner of the kingdom tile to show ownership. That would be a direct method for determining ownership - a player just has to see what color follower is there. Also, it's in keeping with the theme of Carc - you need a follower present for ownership. If multiple players own it then multiple meeples are there.

Carcatronn
Authors
Count

WWW Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2012, 08:27:13 AM »

Carcatronn, how about the name "Dominions"?

Also, maybe instead of tokens indicating ownership of the kingdom the player must invest a follower on the corresponding corner of the kingdom tile to show ownership. That would be a direct method for determining ownership - a player just has to see what color follower is there. Also, it's in keeping with the theme of Carc - you need a follower present for ownership. If multiple players own it then multiple meeples are there.

I like the idea of deploying a follower a lot, thanks Carcking! So should the follower remain there for the game, or should you be able to get him back during the wood phase?

Yes, Dominions it is! Cheesy I can't believe I didn't think of that one.

CKorfmann
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Pigs are meeple too!

Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2012, 09:14:57 AM »

I think I like the idea of deploying a follower to the corner representing ownership of the kingdom and I think it should remain there til the end of the game.  It should cost you something to get all those bonuses.  Should it be more difficult to accomplish though?  I think it would also be interesting to have some sort of condition that would allow for someone's Dominion to be overtaken. 

Flee the fleas!
JPutt927
Authors
Duke

Conquering the world...One tile at a time.

Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2012, 11:25:15 AM »

Here ya go...  Grin

« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 12:49:54 PM by JPutt927 » Logged
Carcatronn
Authors
Count

WWW Awards
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2012, 12:43:04 PM »

This is perfect JPutt, thanks!  Cheesy

Carcking
Authors
Marquis

I call Red!

WWW Awards
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2012, 12:45:55 PM »

I would say the follower should stay on the dominions tile for the duration of the game...notwithstanding the dragon or plague or tower or some such catastrophy!  Grin

Some possible names for the follower: Baron, Monarch, Despot, Czar, Potentate, Magnate, Overlord, Earl, Duke, Dom, Queen....

My favorite is Queen. I don't believe she has been used in any other fanspansion, has she?

I am struggling with the mechanic of earning the domininion for scoring the first feature in that domain. Does it matter what feature? I can score a two point road and I win the domain? It doesn't seem challenging enough given the potential power the domain can wield. Maybe you have to score at least a three-tile city or something a little more robust than a quick road?

@Carcatronn - I really like where this is going. Nice job and merit freely given!

Carcatronn
Authors
Count

WWW Awards
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2012, 12:53:58 PM »

I think I like the idea of deploying a follower to the corner representing ownership of the kingdom and I think it should remain there til the end of the game.  It should cost you something to get all those bonuses.  Should it be more difficult to accomplish though?  I think it would also be interesting to have some sort of condition that would allow for someone's Dominion to be overtaken.  

Agreed, the follower will remain. Maybe the feature being completed must match the Dominion to stake claim? That would make it at least a little more difficult.. Maybe even making the Market Dominion have a completed city in order for a farmer to stake claim?
I like the idea of possible takeovers. But this may sway people away from claiming the Cardinal Dominion if they know another one can be snatched...
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 01:19:14 PM by Carcatronn » Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: