First Time Poster with Questions
Carcassonne Central
April 24, 2024, 11:51:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: THESE FORUMS HAVE BEEN REPLACED. PLEASE GO TO THE NEW FORUMS: http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/

Home   Help Search Staff List Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: First Time Poster with Questions  (Read 13340 times)
PriusGuy2004
Cottager

Merit: 0

Awards
« on: May 01, 2012, 06:56:32 PM »

Hi...I've just signed up on the forums, and I have a few questions.  I've just started playing Carcassonne over the past year or so, and I've come across some situations during the game that I'm not clear on.  Hoping the community can help here:

1) I've seen there are different versions/editions of the game?  How do I know which one I have?  Mine is the one you find in stores these days...with a copyright on the back of the box of 2000.

2) My parents and I were playing Carcassonne this past weekend.  Can a "follower" claim multiple things in one turn?  For example, my mom placed a tile and completed both a road and a city.  can she claim 1 point for each segment of the road and 2 points for each city tile in the same turn, or does she have to pick which of the two she wants to apply to her overall score?

3) Can a "follower" become a farmer in a tile that is one of the 8 tiles surrounding a Cloister (monk) tile?

4) If my mom finishes a road segment that my own "follower" is on, do I get the points in that turn for the completed road even though it was my mom who placed the tile?

Thanks much!!!
Fritz_Spinne
Freeman

Merit: 1

Awards
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 02:47:33 AM »

Welcome to the forum.

1) Copyright will always be 2000, nonetheless your's should be the 3rd Edition. Look at the farmer rules: 3 Points for every city in the field, cities bordering different fields score points for every field. (In 1st edition every city only scores one time for the player with most farmers on all bordering fields.)

2) A follower can only placed on one feature - road, city or field. So one follower can only claim one feature and not multiple at one time.
But you can complete multiple features with one tile and you score for every feature you claimed before and also for the feature you claimed on the last tile.

3) Yes, the player who claimed the feature scores the points, not the player who completed it - otherwise you mustn't have to claim the features with followers.
CKorfmann
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Merit: 32

Pigs are meeple too!

Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 03:45:21 AM »

Yes, your follower can claim a farm surrounding a cloister.  Different features next to each other have no relationship to one another.  They do not effect each other at all (outside of castle scoring), at least not that I can think of off the top of my head. 

Flee the fleas!
MrNumbers
Freeman

Merit: 2

Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 03:48:45 AM »

in addition to Fritz_Spinne and CKorfmann answers:
1) Maybe you mean "which expansion" do you have? It can be found out by looking at the tiles. Little watermark on each will tell you which version (expansion) of the game you own. If no watermarks then you own basic game of Carcassonne.
3) You can place a farmer on any tile if it is not against the rules. But you cannot "convert" a monk to a farmer after completing the cloister, if this was you question about.

Fritz_Spinne already answered on the 4th question accidentally numbering it with 3).
PriusGuy2004
Cottager

Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 07:20:35 PM »

Well, thanks everyone for helping so far.  Here's what I know and have more questions about:

1) I must have the 3rd edition of the game because I have the rules, "For eachcity a farm supplies, the player who deployed the most farmer(s) in the farm earns 3 points, regardless of the size of he city.  if players tie with the most farmers, each scores 3 points."  MrNumbers, I wasn't asking about expansions...just the base game.

2) To expand on my original posting to this question, I've taken a photo with my iPhone to show you the situation.  Please look here: http://instagr.am/p/KI_FWvKMyq/  In this situation, the two bottom tiles have already been placed on the board as well as the upper left tile.  My mom placed the tile shown on the upper right corner...which completed both a city and a road.  Since there was no knight in the city or thief on the road prior to the upper right tile being placed, can my mom score points for both the completed city and the completed road in the same turn, or can only the city or road be scored?

Thanks again, all!
Fritz_Spinne
Freeman

Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 09:44:10 PM »

2) your mom can only place one follower, so she has to decide whether to place on the city or on the road. Then she scores only for city or for the road. (With the translucent phantom-meeple from "Das Gefolge" both is possible: you can place the phantom in addition to a normal meeple.)
PriusGuy2004
Cottager

Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 06:24:44 PM »

Thanks for the additional information!  I now have a different question.  I just bought the "Traders & Builders" expansion and noticed a discrepancy in scoring.  In the base game, it says this for FARMER SCORING:

"For each city a farm supplies, the payer who deployed the most farmer(s) in the farm earns 3 points regardless of the size of the city.  If players tie with the most farmers, each scores 3 points."

I understand those rules...however, as I was looking at the rules for "T&B", I noticed this:

"The pig is placed on a field and can increase the value of a city for a farmer.  A player may only place his pig in a field where he has at least 1 farmer  The pig remains where placed until the end of the game.  When scoring the farmers at the end of the game, the player earns 5 instead of 4 points for each city he scores that has a pig in the field with his farmer(s).  The pig counts only if he owns the field.  For ownership of the field, only the farmers are counted."

So my question is...where did this extra point come from?  The base game rules I have indicate to score 3 points for completed cities...not 4 (as the "T&B" rules indicate).

Clarification needed.  Thanks!
Fritz_Spinne
Freeman

Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 10:05:28 PM »

Your copy of Traders and Builders is probably one of RGG. This company tried to retain on 1st edition farmer rules: 4 points for every farm, but only once per city. So a farmer with pig scores 5 points per city.

Sticking to 1st edition rules don't fit with the later expansions, so most players play 3rd edition rules. At least RGG uses them in the BIG BOX, you can download the rules: http://www.riograndegames.com/uploads/Game/Game_304_gameRules.pdf

In combination with 3rd edition rules a farmer with pig scores 4 points instead of 3 per city (page Cool. <- this should be page 8, but with ) it's a smiley ...
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 10:19:20 AM by Fritz_Spinne » Logged
PriusGuy2004
Cottager

Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2012, 08:54:06 AM »

Page smiley face?  ;-)
PriusGuy2004
Cottager

Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2012, 08:29:38 PM »

Hello again...

Yes, I think this does help. I think I'll stick with using third edition rules. Thanks again!!!
PriusGuy2004
Cottager

Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2012, 01:37:11 PM »

Your copy of Traders and Builders is probably one of RGG. This company tried to retain on 1st edition farmer rules: 4 points for every farm, but only once per city. So a farmer with pig scores 5 points per city.

Sticking to 1st edition rules don't fit with the later expansions, so most players play 3rd edition rules. At least RGG uses them in the BIG BOX, you can download the rules: http://www.riograndegames.com/uploads/Game/Game_304_gameRules.pdf

In combination with 3rd edition rules a farmer with pig scores 4 points instead of 3 per city (page Cool. <- this should be page 8, but with ) it's a smiley ...
I had some time to review the rules from the PDF file you referenced (above) yesterday while on my way to Chicago.  And, as I was reading through things, some additional questions surfaced:

1) As it relates to the "Traders & Builders" expansion, I understand where a "builder" can be placed (on a road or a city), but I need clarification on when the rule about drawing a second tile in the same turn takes place.  After reading the rules over a couple times, it seems to me that in your first turn, for example, you place a thief on the road.  In your second turn, for example, you place a builder on the road.  Then, on your third turn, for example, you would draw and place your first tile...then draw and place a second tile.  Is this the proper procedure?  It wasn't sure if, in my example, the second tile could actually be drawn on the second turn...or do I have to wait until it is my turn again (the third turn in this example) before I can draw and place a second tile?

2) In "Traders & Builders", if I have both a thief and a builder on a road, and I finish the road (let's say there are three road segments), do I still only get three points for the completed road?  Or, does the builder add any additional points to that completed road?  The rules don't seem to indicate any extra points...just the additional tile that can be drawn.

Thanks again!
MrNumbers
Freeman

Awards
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2012, 11:49:00 PM »

1) In your example it should be the third turn. But it is more important that with the first tile you should extend the feature the builder is standing on to get a right to draw a second tile. The second tile can be placed anywhere.
2) There are no additional points for the builder during scoring.
PriusGuy2004
Cottager

Awards
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2012, 07:23:55 PM »

1) In your example it should be the third turn. But it is more important that with the first tile you should extend the feature the builder is standing on to get a right to draw a second tile. The second tile can be placed anywhere.
So then, in the third turn...are you required to extend the feature (the city or the road), that the builder is on, with the first tile?  Or is that just optional?  And the purpose of extending either the road or the city in the first part of turn #3 would be to score more points, correct?
MrNumbers
Freeman

Awards
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2012, 12:18:28 AM »

If you want to have a second turn, you are required to extend the feature with builder. If you place your first tile elsewhere, you cannot take a second turn. So the purpose of extending is to have this second turn (and as an additional effect - to get more points after completing the feature).
PriusGuy2004
Cottager

Awards
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2012, 05:32:06 AM »

If you want to have a second turn, you are required to extend the feature with builder. If you place your first tile elsewhere, you cannot take a second turn. So the purpose of extending is to have this second turn (and as an additional effect - to get more points after completing the feature).
Makes sense to me!  So, in theory, your turn where you can place two tiles may not happen immediately after your turn where the builder is placed...all due to the kind of tile you draw from a pile and where it can be legally placed, correct?
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: