Follower and Builder on the same tile legal? (solved)
Carcassonne Central
April 18, 2024, 05:06:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: THESE FORUMS HAVE BEEN REPLACED. PLEASE GO TO THE NEW FORUMS: http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/

Home   Help Search Staff List Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Follower and Builder on the same tile legal? (solved)  (Read 4746 times)
Legenden
Vagabond

Merit: 0

Awards
« on: June 18, 2012, 11:04:20 AM »

Example:

1. I have a tile placed earlier round with a Follower on a city segment.
2a. I place an adjacent tile building more to the city, and thus place the Builder on it.
2b. I place a Follower same round BUT it is on a city segment not connected to city segment on the same tile where I placed the Builder.

Is this a legal move?

I tried finding this on the net (and this forum) but with no luck. I would appreciate any answer or suggestion. The rulebook says nothing about this and I would find this a legal move. We voted on this to be fair (poor me lost the vote Smiley )

Noteworty to consider:
1. Builder is NOT a follower, suggesting it not following the rules as a Follower and limiting meeples on a tile etc.

/L

EDIT:
Found the rule for this in the rulebook, in two places. So embarrassed I missed it.

English Big Box 3 rulebook:
1. Page 7: Placing Followers
Instead
of placing a small or large follower on the tile, the player can choose to place his builder or his pig
2. Page 15 under 'Figures and turn overview'

Thank you for all the replies! Smiley

/L
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 02:19:55 AM by Legenden » Logged
Fritz_Spinne
Freeman

Merit: 1

Awards
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 01:00:54 PM »

I think 2a. and 2b. together is not a legal move, you may only place one piece of wood on the tile.

There is one exception: You could take the Phantom meeple for 2b., in this case it is possible.
obervet03
Cottager

Merit: 3

Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 04:05:05 PM »

I agree with Fritz_Spinne: generally, the builder can only be deployed INSTEAD of a regular follower.

The Phantom is a bit of a fuzzy situation. Technically, the Phantom rules state that the Phantom and another Follower can be deployed to 2 separate features simultaneously. By the letter of the rules, you couldn't deploy the builder and the Phantom, since the builder isn't a follower. By the spirit of the rules, it's hard to say -- we need a clarification.

You could always place a builder on one turn and use a magic portal to plop a follower onto a different (unoccupied) feature of that tile on a later turn.
Scott
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Merit: 45

WWW Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 08:07:30 PM »

You definitely can't deploy the builder AND another piece of wood. When you're "moving the wood" you can only move one thing, but "move the plastic" is definitely a fuzzy situation. The way that the Phantom rules are worded is not entirely clear: "the player may deploy the phantom to it as second follower". Although the builder is not a follower, and therefore the Phantom could not be a second follower to the builder, the builder is less than a follower, so if you can deploy a follower AND a phantom, it might be permissible to deploy a builder and a phantom. (It does not even seem clear whether when deploying the phantom that the feature you deploy him to needs to be unoccupied.)

daffodil (trigger word for escalation to HiG for clarification)

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: