IMPORTANT NOTICE: Illegal trader on eBay.
Carcassonne Central
March 29, 2024, 07:49:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: THESE FORUMS HAVE BEEN REPLACED. PLEASE GO TO THE NEW FORUMS: http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/

Home   Help Search Staff List Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: IMPORTANT NOTICE: Illegal trader on eBay.  (Read 9117 times)
mjharper
Administrator
Baron

Merit: 25

WWW Awards
« on: December 18, 2012, 07:09:21 AM »

It has recently come to our attention that an unscrupulous trader on eBay has produced and sold Carcassonne-related products. This seemingly high-quality package included, among other things, both versions of The Cathars, and several fan-based expansions created here on CarcassonneCentral. Furthermore, the rules provided with the product were copied entirely from the Complete Annotated Rules, again from this site.

We at CarcassonneCentral condemn this trader and his actions in the strongest possible terms.

It is essential that everyone be clear that the copyright of Carcassonne and its expansions lies exclusively with Hans-im-Glueck and its associatiates. Printing and distributing tiles and other Carcassonne products for money is an infringement of the owner's copyright, and is illegal. That covers fan-created expansions as well, which not even the creators themselves are permitted to sell for cash reimbursement.

This trader on e-bay has the permission of no-one: neither Hans-im-Glueck, CarcassoneCentral, nor the fans who created the expansions which he is passing off as official products. It should be made clear that the CarcassonneCentral logo is included in the Complete Annotated Rules precisely because we wish it to be clear at all times that it is the work of fans, for fans, and makes no claim to copyright at all. If you see our logo attached to any product or rules which are being offered for money, you can be sure that the trader is acting illegally, and should immediately report him or her to the host, to us, and to Hans-im-Glueck.

With respect to the case in hand, we would like to assure Hans-im-Glueck that this trader acted of his own volition, without the knowledge or endorsement of CarcassonneCentral, and that we will support Hans-im-Glueck in solving this matter in whatever way we can.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 07:27:32 AM by mjharper » Logged

Currently residing in the 'Where are they now?' file.
Joff
Authors
Chatelain

Merit: 30

I play yellow... usually

WWW Awards
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 01:52:03 AM »

I have reported the seller to eBay as I am not happy with anyone who sells a fan-made expansion that I have created (in this case Jousting Tournament). I'm sure I speak on behalf of the other authors at Carcassonne Central when I say that we do not endorse this practice.

Fan-made expansions created by Carcassonne Central authors are freely available and may not be sold for profit in any form whatsoever. Selling a Carcassonne Central fan-made expansion, certainly one created by me, violates the terms and conditions of its release.

May I urge you to report any Carcassonne Central fan-made expansion that you see for sale on eBay (or anywhere else for that matter).

The current case that I am referring to has the tiles being passed off as official product, and currently has a bid of 38 euros (which is around 30 UK pounds or 49 US dollars). All tiles (except one) are unofficial fan-made tiles, freely available from Carcassonne Central. The other tile is a rip-off of an official tile and therefore, unofficial.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 01:55:03 AM by Joff » Logged
kettlefish
Nobleman

Merit: 3

Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 03:54:33 PM »

And again:
The e-bay trader is active.

please look here:

Link to Carcassonne-Forum with the link to ebay

I'll sent emails to our Admins mjharper, Scott and Gantry and to HiG - Moritz Brunnhofer.
------------
I finished with sending the emails to the Admins and to HiG.

All the people from the Staff List are now informed by email or by PM.
------------
It is all again with the logo from CarcassonneCentral
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 04:55:14 PM by kettlefish » Logged
kettlefish
Nobleman

Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 10:51:09 PM »

from Scott - Email:
I reported the item to eBay and I have sent the seller a cease and desist letter, but I don't feel confident that anything will happen differently from last time. I will also post something on our Facebook page asking people to report the item to eBay; maybe if more people report it eBay will do something.

Moritz and anybody else at HiG who reads this e-mail, rest assured that this eBay seller, Horvath Gabor, does not represent CarcassonneCentral.com in any way and his actions are in no way sanctioned or condoned by us.
Best regards,
Scott V.
Site Administrator, CarcassonneCentral.com

Scott sent this email also to Matt and to HiG.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 10:55:11 PM by kettlefish » Logged
kettlefish
Nobleman

Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 11:59:32 PM »

Scott reported this also at our facebook page:

www.facebook.com/CarcassonneCentral
kettlefish
Nobleman

Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 09:56:40 AM »

email from Scott:

Here is the response I got to my cease and desist letter:

the "100 point scoring track" from Carcassonne Central is Gift.Everyone can print, like me. I give as a gift. The 200 pont sticker is self-made. Is that problem? :-o

I responded to him explaining that he still may not sell these things.

Sent from my iPhone
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: