Hello from Switzerland
Carcassonne Central
April 20, 2024, 05:40:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: THESE FORUMS HAVE BEEN REPLACED. PLEASE GO TO THE NEW FORUMS: http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/

Home   Help Search Staff List Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello from Switzerland  (Read 5190 times)
jungleboy
Cottager

Merit: 0

Awards
« on: January 02, 2013, 06:26:28 AM »

Hi all,

Having very recently become a fan of Carcassonne (and Carcassonne Central!), I thought I would introduce myself here.

I am 32 and live in Geneva, Switzerland, though I am originally from Australia. I stumbled across Carcassonne only a few months ago when I saw an online poll (I don't even remember where now) asking people to vote for their favourite game. Carcassonne, which I had never heard of, won the poll easily, and I was instantly intrigued, given that I love the city of Carcassonne, generally like ancient and medieval things, and enjoy board games (though I haven't played many since I was a kid). After receiving the base game and Inns and Cathedrals for Christmas, I've played a few times and love it. Traders and Builders is on the way, and I hope to add more expansions soon!

Also, since I gather that it is not always easy to find Carcassonne expansions, I can try to help anyone who is having trouble finding one. I have domestic access to German versions from German-speaking Switzerland and French versions from both French-speaking Switzerland (where I live) and from France, as I have friends who live in France but commute to Geneva for work. I haven't seen the French versions discussed much in these forums, but from what I can gather, the same expansions are available as in German (e.g. Kings, Count and Cults, which if I understand correctly is only available in English as part of the Big Box 2). Personally, since I speak French but not German, and since Carcassonne is in France anyway, I prefer to get French versions rather than German ones if I can't acquire them in English.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to contributing to the forums.

Cheers,
Nick
Purity
Vassal

Merit: 4

Awards
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 12:12:10 PM »

welcome and thanks for your offer and help! :-)
(although i live 'on' the french border and had french lessons for eight years i prefer german for sure ;-))
Scott
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Merit: 45

WWW Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 05:16:13 PM »

Those who buy the French editions are either very quiet, haven't found their way here, or perhaps it's not so popular in France as Germany?

Interesting that Count, King & Consorts (Cult) is available in French. The French publisher, Filosofiagames, is "the same company" as the new North American publisher, Z-Man Games. (Technically each is incorporated separately in their respective countries, but they have the same CEO.) It will be interesting to see what happens here in North America with regards to those three mini-expansions (separate release vs. compilation).

jungleboy
Cottager

Merit: 0

Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 06:38:30 AM »

Here is a list of what's available in French. It may or may not be complete, but in any case it gives you an idea: http://fr.asmodee.com/ressources/recherche/?text=Carcassonne&cache=Dzze5555rXrrjjKKBBY91356814333&type=jeux&page=1

Additionally, the 'Roi, Comte et Brigand' expansion (Count, King and Consorts) also comes with the River II, so it's 4-in-1. Since I bought the RGG version of the base game without the River (not knowing at the time that I could get the Z-Man version with the River), the addition of the River II is a nice bonus.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 06:47:57 AM by jungleboy » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: