Seasons Change (using Winter Carc)
Carcassonne Central
March 29, 2024, 06:53:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: THESE FORUMS HAVE BEEN REPLACED. PLEASE GO TO THE NEW FORUMS: http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/

Home   Help Search Staff List Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Seasons Change (using Winter Carc)  (Read 5476 times)
Albinoasian
Villein

Merit: 0

Living like a meeple

Awards
« on: January 05, 2013, 12:02:54 PM »

My brother and I were playing our first game of Winter Carc and were thinking of how we could play both the original carc and winter carc together.

We've decided that we would put both start tiles on diferrent parts of the table. (Or alternatively directly next to each other)

During the game the seasons would change. We've thought about some triggers. one i like is giving the power to change seasons (if they choose to) to a player upon scoring a cloister. They can pray for the seasons to be changed from summer to winter or vice versa.

When it is winter only winter pieces can be played. If summer only the original tiles are played. Inclusion of big men, builders,  barns etc would be good. Then you have to choose which season you want to place them in.
This would be quite powerful as you could lock someone's special meeples in hibernation for a while.

We think we'd even let the two seasons connect together on the board which would look like northern and southern hemispheres.

What do you guys think. Would it be worth trying? What else would you change? Problems you see?
You can give each player a couple more meeples, but I wouldn't suggest giving them a complete second set.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 12:13:54 PM by Albinoasian » Logged
Carcking
Authors
Marquis

Merit: 8

I call Red!

WWW Awards
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 06:30:36 AM »

I really like this approach. I'm a strategy guy so the idea of getting the seasons to change in order to freeze an opponent's followers is good game play.

I would start with the start tiles well separated. Maybe by five tiles or so?

Another possible bonus - if you are able to score a feature that includes tiles from both seasons you could earn some bonus points. Perhaps you are able to connect the seasons with certain tile play so that a road runs from winter into summer. A city could include both seasons as well as a cloister. Perhaps a 1 point bonus for the tiles of both seasons? Not sure how to resolve farms in this scenario. I will have to think on it.

Thoughts?

Who's your favorite? Knight, Thief, Farmer or Monk?

Find CC Fanspansions Here
Albinoasian
Villein

Merit: 0

Living like a meeple

Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 08:30:05 AM »

Oh great idea with the scoring bonus. It would be more challenging finishing a city or cloister in two seasons, so a score bonus would be fair. I wonder if you might include a one point penalty (rather than bonus) for the farms... Just to make things interesting.

Yeh a 5 tile distance is probably good enough. Maybe a couple more if you find one season encroaches too far before the seasons change.
Or maybe someone could design a special start tile (a large one) that separates the two.

Oh it would also need to be stipulated that a winter tile can only be placed where it connects to at least one other winter tile. Meaning you cant just place it randomnly on the other side of the board
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 08:39:23 AM by Albinoasian » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: