Strategy Guide
Carcassonne Central
March 28, 2024, 07:04:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: THESE FORUMS HAVE BEEN REPLACED. PLEASE GO TO THE NEW FORUMS: http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/

Home   Help Search Staff List Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Strategy Guide  (Read 5249 times)
obervet03
Cottager

Merit: 3

Awards
« on: January 07, 2013, 05:50:46 AM »

Hi all,

I am looking to collect Carcassonne strategies for inclusion in the next version of the CAR. I have a few, but I'm looking to add more. Anyone who has a good strategy, either one that you use or one that has been used against you, feel free to share it right here.

Since the CAR is intended for all levels of play, I'm hoping for all levels of complexity. Something simple like putting a barn on your own farm so you get the points twice, or even just tried-and-true ways of stealing farms, is just fine. Mixing expansions is also good (my opponent killed me with a big meeple-ferries combo the first time I played with the Ferries). Of course, don't shy away from complexity. If you have an awesome mayor-pig-bridge combo, let us know about it.

-obervet03
Albinoasian
Villein

Merit: 0

Living like a meeple

Awards
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 08:08:18 AM »

That's a great idea.

I honestly don't have any great strategies, but I do notice that many people put their builder on cities hoping to score more points from big cities that they can extend on. They normally get their builder locked in and it is useless for most of the game, so I instead stick to placing the builder on roads only. They are easier to build on and gain the extra tile, and you can always use that extra tile to build cities should you get a piece with a city on it.
kettlefish
Nobleman

Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 08:57:44 AM »

I copied this two posts at the Carcassonne-Forum.
jungleboy
Cottager

Merit: 0

Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 10:12:48 AM »

I have a fairly basic strategy question (as a newcomer to the game) that might lead to some good answers:

When using the big meeple from Inns & Cathedrals, do you prefer to hold it in reserve so you can try to take over someone's farm/city later in the game, or use it early on to shore up a farm/city of your own as a way to deter other players from sneaking in on your feature? Or something completely different?
obervet03
Cottager

Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 09:39:40 AM »

I have a fairly basic strategy question (as a newcomer to the game) that might lead to some good answers:

When using the big meeple from Inns & Cathedrals, do you prefer to hold it in reserve so you can try to take over someone's farm/city later in the game, or use it early on to shore up a farm/city of your own as a way to deter other players from sneaking in on your feature? Or something completely different?

We always play with the River II expansion, and I usually end up first using the big meeple on one of the cities there, since there are usually opportunities for those cities to grow together. After that city is completed, I tend to look for other opportunities to use it to steal other cities. As the game gets closer to the end, if there is one farm that is huge and going to swing the game, I'll often try to get the big meeple onto it, either to steal from someone else or to shore it up if it's already mine. If there's no overwhelmingly important farm, I generally just use the big meeple as a normal follower to maximize the number of features that I claim.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: