Hook, Line and Sinker
Carcassonne Central
April 18, 2024, 10:42:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: THESE FORUMS HAVE BEEN REPLACED. PLEASE GO TO THE NEW FORUMS: http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/

Home   Help Search Staff List Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Hook, Line and Sinker  (Read 46752 times)
canada steve
Global Moderator
Marquis

Merit: 7

Forum Moderator

Awards
« on: March 18, 2007, 01:10:36 AM »

From a previous thread I started about the river I/II expansions it cam to light that you cannot place meeple in the river sections, for fairly obvious reasons  Wink Anyway Gantry made a comment back about fishing and it got me thinking.

So here goes.

Fishermeeple

Can be used with either River I (remove extra scoring tile) or River II expansions or both.

As the river sections are laid, apart from laying the meeple on the land sections, it is now possible to place them on the river itself as fishermeeple (place them on their side to denote this otherwise they may get confused with farmers etc). The fishermeeple cannot fish the same side of the river as another meeple, from either your own team or not, unless it is seperated by a road/crossing/city/etc. However you can have a meeple placed on the opposite bank. The fishermeeple stay in place for the whole game. The fisher can be placed on a river tile either when the pulled river tile is placed or when a river tile is surrounded by a further 8 tiles later in the game, as per the cloister. This allows for the fishers to be committed later into the game and not have to be immeadiately placed on the river. To clarify when a river tile is surrounded by a further 8 tiles to form a 3x3 square then you have the choice to place a fisher on one side of the river on the center river tile.

Scoring

Scoring for fishermeeple is achieved by the following. For each section of riverbank that a meeple reaches, without any interuption, he recieves 2 points and then a further 2 points per city that is within 3 direct squares of any of its river tiles, on your side of the river only (unless the extra scoring tile is in place). Cities further away cannot be supplied by the fisher and therfore cannot be scored. If there are opposing fishermeeple supplying the same cities then the majority takes the points same as farming.

Extra Scoring Tile - Double Sided Capend City with Bridge Piece (cscs River II)

This is a special tile that allows the player who lays it to fish both sides of the riverbank,in all four directions, no extra points are awarded but it does allow for greater point scoring. This tile does not mean that you own the city, so would not get the points for completing it unless you have a knight in there.

FAQ

Placement of Fishers - Can a fisher be placed on a river tile later in the game ?
Yes a fisher can be placed later in the game on a river tile, providing the player placing it had just placed a tile that has completed the 3x3 square surrounding the river tile in question. And the player chooses which side of the river to place the fisher on, normal placement conditions apply.

Farmers v Fishers - Can farmers and fishers be in the same area ?
Yes as they are seperate trades then they can be placed in the same land area without any issue arising providing they are on the same side, remember normal placement conditions apply for same type trades and opponent trades, so no fisher from one team and farmer from another can be within the same area unless they were not connected when first placed.

Fishing the Lake - This allows the fishermeeple to supply any cities all around the lake, it does not act as a barrier, same as farming.

The Spring - No fishermeeple to be laid on this tile as it would be considered too shallow to fish but still counts for scoring.

The Branch - No fishermeeple to be laid on this tile as it is considered too fast flowing to fish but still counts for scoring.

The Count Expansion - If using this expansion then fishermeeple are the same as farmers in that they use the market section of Carcassonne City and are subject to exactly the same rules.

The Cathars Expansion - If any city within the three tiles of the river is under siege by the Cathars then the same scoring rule applies for fishing as farming in that for that city double points are scored. So for a player fishing two cities along a 4 tile river section, one under siege, they would score 8 points for the river then 2 points the normal city and 4 points for the siege city.

What are the limits of a fishermeeples range - Any bridge is an end point on the river, in that you cannot fish and provide any further than the bridge allows. The only difference is with the extra scoring tile, where you have the ability to fish both sides of the river in both directions, so a possible to score four times from this tile. If you can get past a tile then it is not considered a end piece, same as farming.

When placing a fisher on the extra scoring tile, city to city connected by bridge over the river, you can still place a piece even if another fisher is on one of the adjoining riverbanks as there are a further possible 3 riverbanks to fish from it. So "there" means ant other fishers on the riverbanks connecting to the extra scoring tile. However if a fisher is on the extra scoring tile you cannot then place a fisher on one of the banks leading up to it.

To score the extra scoring tile you must have a fisher placed on it. If no fisher is placed on it then scoring for the city of that tile would be in accordance with how many fishers reach it and who owns the most and if the city os actually complete. By riverbank I mean an entire section from one end point to another.

For clarification a fisher fishes along a riverbank from one end piece to another, bends, lakes, etc do not stop the fisher unless there is a physical barrier, such as a bridge in the way. The branch and the spring cannot be fished, which means that you cannot place a fisher on these tiles, they do not stop you from scoring though. So yes when counting along a riverbank you include the spring and branch tiles, even though you cannot place on them, it does not stop your fisher from supplying any cities along there.

So what do you all think ?

Thanks
« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 08:45:08 AM by canada steve » Logged

Cheers

Canada Steve
Gantry
Administrator
Chatelain

Merit: 20

taken

WWW Awards
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2007, 01:41:02 AM »

not bad! but the obvious question is, how would you tell a fishermeeple from a farmer?

Have ideas for Carc Central?  PM me!
canada steve
Global Moderator
Marquis

Forum Moderator

Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2007, 02:24:40 AM »

Hey Gantry

As I said when placing the piece place it on its side (arma and leg sticking into the air), not on its back, then this will differentiate between farmer and fisher. Not sure if maybe more points should be available to make it more worth while placing a fisher, but what it does give you is the opportunity to score double on a city, say if you had a farmer and a fisher supplying a city then both would count. Or even two players, one with a farmer one with a fisher in the same area could independantly supply a city with no clash.

Cheers

Canada Steve
Gantry
Administrator
Chatelain

taken

WWW Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2007, 04:05:38 AM »

The only thing I can think of that might be brought up is that you'll have to play them early on, during the river placement phase, limiting their use for most of the game.  To counter this, you could either change their scoring (they give 1 extra point per city to farmers, or are worth 4 pts per city for example) to make people want to commit a meeple early, or else make a rule to allow them to be played later on, after the river tiles have been played.  Just some things to think about.  I know for me, I'd rather save my meeples and use them as farmers later on, giving me more flexibility with the points.

canada steve
Global Moderator
Marquis

Forum Moderator

Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2007, 09:15:43 AM »

Cheers for the input Gantry, have updated the variation above the placement now has changed as have the points. See what you all think!!

Cheers

Canada Steve
Gantry
Administrator
Chatelain

taken

WWW Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2007, 12:14:06 PM »

Interesting approach!  Just to be clear, if I add a 9th tile to complete a 3x3 block, I get the option of placing a follower on that tile that I just layed, OR placing a fishermeeple on that tile? Or on a connected river tile within that 3x3 block?

canada steve
Global Moderator
Marquis

Forum Moderator

Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2007, 12:58:02 PM »

Oh yeah. To clarify, if a 3x3 square is completed with a river tile as the center then you get the option to place a fisher on the center tile, choosing which side o the river you are fishing from. Workable ?

Cheers

Canada Steve
Gantry
Administrator
Chatelain

taken

WWW Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2007, 01:16:37 PM »

Nat & I will try this out when we play next - probably next weekend.  So far I don't see any objections with that last clarification, but it should be test-played a few times just to make sure.  Also you should consider how it works with other expansions (althought it seems like there's probably no other issues given its simplicity).  Once it's done, we'll show you how to add the variant to the site.

Gantry
Administrator
Chatelain

taken

WWW Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2007, 02:14:49 PM »

Canada Steve, you inspired me to write a How-To, thank you!

Smiley

(Now if someone could just inspire me to get busy on the Carc puzzles...)   Wink

Tobias
Global Moderator
Viscount

Merit: 9

The last cookie!

Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2007, 02:15:48 PM »

This is clearly interesting! I've sometimes muttered a little about the fact that the river in it self doesn't do anything, so I'll convince Sara to try it with me next time we play. Good work!

Nature finds a way. Tobias finds two.
canada steve
Global Moderator
Marquis

Forum Moderator

Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2007, 02:25:45 PM »

Thanks guys for the kind words. Let me know how well you find it plays. I shall be palying it as a variant this week so will hopefully be able to iron out any snags that arise before you hit it.

Gantry glad to have been an inspiration and the same back at ya, you made the comment about fishing !! Smiley

Cheers

Canada Steve
Tobias
Global Moderator
Viscount

The last cookie!

Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2007, 03:54:59 PM »

(Now if someone could just inspire me to get busy on the Carc puzzles...)   Wink

I can. Since I'm sure you can't construct a puzzle that I can not beat :P

Gantry
Administrator
Chatelain

taken

WWW Awards
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2007, 06:34:16 PM »

oh oh oh  !

yeah ur probably right.  :Smiley

Tobias
Global Moderator
Viscount

The last cookie!

Awards
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2007, 09:03:04 AM »

oh oh oh  !

yeah ur probably right.  :Smiley

You were supposed to take the bait, not give up!  Cool

canada steve
Global Moderator
Marquis

Forum Moderator

Awards
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2007, 12:07:04 PM »

Okay so I've played this variant twice now and I must say it works quite well, especially when there are lots of roads tying up the farms. So I would like to put this forward as a proper variant to be put on the variants page, if its ok, and its title shall be "Hook, Line & Sinker" or "To Fish or Not To Fish" I dont mind which one it would be so you guys decide.

Cheers

Canada Steve
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: