Dominion
Carcassonne Central
April 26, 2024, 12:57:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: THESE FORUMS HAVE BEEN REPLACED. PLEASE GO TO THE NEW FORUMS: http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/

Home   Help Search Staff List Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Dominion  (Read 28250 times)
mathguy89
Authors
Vassal

Merit: 3

Awards
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2009, 11:34:43 PM »

I've just started playing this last week and it's a great game.  If you have any background in CCGs, it's worth it, and even if you don't (like me) it's still fun.  I've played with 2,3 and 4 players and it scales really well.  It amazes me at how many different possible games exist in pure card selection.  If you ever consider this, I'd be willing to give you more information.

I'm on boardgamegeek as mathguy6189, feel free to add me as a "geek buddy"
CKorfmann
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Merit: 32

Pigs are meeple too!

Awards
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2011, 12:34:54 PM »

Oooo.  Pretty.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Collectors-Dominion-Storage-Box-custom-/280719165416?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item415c2a87e8

Maybe even nicer...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wood-Box-Hold-all-6-Dominion-Games-/230656691660?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35b435cdcc
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 12:41:08 PM by CKorfmann » Logged

Flee the fleas!
Khonnor83
Freeman

Merit: 1

Awards
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2011, 02:19:39 PM »

Dominion is one of my favorite games at the moment (together with Carcassonne, ofcourse which I just recently started playing.).

Someone gave us Dominion: Intrige as a Birthdaygift this Spring and we have been obsessed with it since. We soon bought Alchemy and Seaside and a month ago or so we bought Prosperity. Only thing is, because we got the Dutch version as a gift, we've been collecting the Dutch editions of the expansions and now I've heard Cornucopia won't be released in Holland....Sad So sad about that, but don't feel like adding a German or English edition, when I already own 4 other editions in Dutch....
Although I do own the promos in English, haha.

Great game. At first I also thought it was very expensive for just a set of cards, and I still feel that way, especially about the expansions, when they cost as much as the stand alone games. Each set cost 37,95 euro over here, Alchemy was 24,95. 999 Games (Dutch distributor) did tell me they will 'probably' release Hinterlands...
Doesn't sound all that comforting.... :Smiley
Scott
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Merit: 45

WWW Awards
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2011, 08:45:00 AM »

Angry Although I don't have this game, I bought the Walled Village promo cards because my OCD decided I needed them as part of my Carcassonne collection. Then I made the mistake of watching some videos about this game. Now my OCD has decided I need to buy this game and all it's expansions. *shakes fist*

Fortunately all the promo cards are easily obtained from BGG. Wish they could distribute Carcassonne promo expansions too.

CKorfmann
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Pigs are meeple too!

Awards
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2011, 07:29:03 PM »

Wish they could distribute Carcassonne promo expansions too.

You would think that wouldn't be a big deal since they are both RGG in the US.

Flee the fleas!
Scott
Authors
Duke Chevalier

WWW Awards
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2011, 10:41:50 PM »

Except that the difficult to obtain stuff isn't distributed by RGG either.

Scott
Authors
Duke Chevalier

WWW Awards
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2011, 11:09:12 PM »

Accidentally found myself in a store that sells Euro board games. The awning said it was a hobby shop; I guess board games and comic books are hobbies too. The place doesn't have a lot of selection, but what he does have is $10 cheaper than where I usually shop and it's closer to my house, so I picked up the base game of Dominion. One of my brothers was interested to try it out, so we just finished playing our first game. We found that we weren't interested in playing aggressively, so we substituted the militia cards for throne room after the first few turns. From there it sort of spiraled out of control, with throne rooms and villages being severely abused to create multi-branch structures of extra actions and lots of card pickups. After a few hours we emptied the provinces pile and my brother won. We both enjoyed the game so hopefully this will help to get us playing board games on a semi-regular basis again.

CKorfmann
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Pigs are meeple too!

Awards
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2011, 10:19:24 AM »

I tried playing online a few times and just haven't gotten the hang of it yet.  I might get it eventually, but not any time soon.

Flee the fleas!
Khonnor83
Freeman

Merit: 1

Awards
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2011, 11:03:12 AM »

Dominion is one of our favorite cardgames.

I just bought the original base game and the newly Hinterlands for my partner for Christmas.

So far, we've been using Intrige as our base game, but we decided eventually we want to own them all.
Scott
Authors
Duke Chevalier

WWW Awards
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2011, 02:26:17 PM »

That hobby shop I found last week was having a 15% off sale yesterday and today, so I went down there this morning and bought Intrigue and Seaside with the money I got for Christmas. A couple days ago I bought card sleeves from Mayday Games, and it figures inside the Intrigue box there's a half-sheet of paper informing me that I get 25% off card sleeves with the provided promo code. At least I got to save on the eight packs of sleeves I just bought for these two expansions, and anything I buy in future.

Scott
Authors
Duke Chevalier

WWW Awards
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2012, 11:55:42 AM »

The Governor is now available on the BGG store for $5 (including S&H). Limit of 1 per person.

All previous Dominion promos are also now limited to 1 per person. Imposed by RGG.

Wishmaster
Count

Merit: 4

I've got Purple Meeples!

WWW Awards
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2012, 10:00:43 AM »

Ordered Governor myself, also picked up Stash as it's the only promo I was missing. I find it easier to by from BGG via eBay. This link has all their current items:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/kristinebgg/m.html?item=190625653481&viewitem=&_trksid=p4340.l2562

Note that it's the UK eBay site.

I also ordered the Alhambra 'Magic' tiles.

Time for one more daring dream...
neosatan
Nobleman

Merit: 5

Awards
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2012, 10:15:33 AM »

I was thinking about buying Dominion, but currently don't have time to play games. I will reconsider it when my current work will end. Can anybody give me description of gameplay in Dominion (YouTube links, articles). I found some on YouTube, but they didn't show me how its played.
Scott
Authors
Duke Chevalier

WWW Awards
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2012, 10:56:59 AM »

I watched the following series of videos by a gentleman from New Zealand. He's very long-winded, but that's partly because he's being very thorough. He actually plays the game so you can get a feel for how it goes:

Part 1: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/video/5081
Part 2: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/video/5082
Part 3: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/video/5083
Part 4: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/video/5084

I like the fact that it's not a CCG (collectible card game), everybody is on equal footing with the same availability of cards, and interaction is completely optional. When I played with my brother, we had zero interaction - partly because we were getting a feel for the style of game, but also because we're not big fans of screwing other people over. Our Carcassonne games are also typically low-iteraction.

neosatan
Nobleman

Merit: 5

Awards
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2012, 01:00:14 PM »

That was quite interesting... Maybe I will buy Dominion in short time... I have to go to my local store with board games and ask if they have one box to play there. Usualy they have good games unpacket that clients can try them out before buying... As I seen on this film one game of dominion take something like 20-30 minutes. My assumption of that is based on victory conditions and how the game is played. I see some disadvanates of this game... One major is that people would think a lot what to do in their turn. The same problem is when playing in Carcassonne. Probadly I am a freak cause I get tile, and I place a tile since I know what tiles I need and what I want to build.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: