How do you store your Carcassonne-collection?
Carcassonne Central
April 17, 2024, 09:10:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: THESE FORUMS HAVE BEEN REPLACED. PLEASE GO TO THE NEW FORUMS: http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/

Home   Help Search Staff List Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you store your Carcassonne-collection?  (Read 61348 times)
iszole
Cottager

Merit: 2

Awards
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2012, 12:57:05 PM »

That box looks very nice from where I'm sitting at least. The biggest problem I can see is lack of room to expand when you buy other expansions.

I am interested to make a box myself and have a couple questions. Jetpac has already asked, but I want to know too about the construction of the insert.

1. How did you attach the felt?
2. What material is underneath it?
3. What is the height of the insert?
4. Do you find the height of the insert is good for getting the tiles out, or would you change it if you were to do it again?
5. How did you do the artwork on the outside of the box?

I think this set is more or less complete, I have everything what I need. Anyway you can see an unused bay in the middle which is enough for ~36 new tiles.

The answers (I'm not really good at english so ask again when something is not clear)
1. see my previous post
2-3. I used the original wooden separators (fortunatelly were not fixed). Some sawing was requiered of course. Reducing of depth I used polystyrene foam in case of tile bays (roughly 2 cm). When all the parts were ready just glued together.
4. The box is too deep for tiles (>5 cm) so the bays bottom stilted by foam. In this way getting out the tiles is very comfortable.
5. Printed the  mirrored graphics by a laser printer to photopaper then transfered to the woode surface using an iron. This is a well known technic in home made printed board circuit making. The Carcassonne logo originally found here in download section but the contrast of this picture is not enough so I had to draw a new one (GIMP, bezier curves, I,ve posted the link here in the forum). After the ironing I painted the whole logo manually using a metallic paint. The side graphics are just ironed.
iszole
Cottager

Awards
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2012, 02:01:08 PM »

Just some additional notes.
I used Google Sketchup8 for design. Its a free and very user friendly program for making 3D models. Preparing the sketchup model takes roughly 20 minutes. I can send it by email if somebody interested.

The original scoring board is too large for my box so I had to prepare a smaller or a foldable version. Foldable style was chosen because in that way my piece is larger (~A4) than the original. After scanning and some work in GIMP just printed out by a color laser printer to photopaper and glued to a 2 mm thick cardboard. Cutted in the middle and glued a piece of textil on the back side. To finish the new scoreboard I glued the scanned and printed backside graphics.
Scott
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Merit: 45

WWW Awards
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2012, 11:35:08 PM »

Thanks for the info. I started taking some measurements today. Having trouble deciding whether I want individually-sized compartments for each set of tiles, or go the easier/safer route and make 1.75" x 1.75" rows the full length of the box with spacers in between each expansion. I'm concerned about more expansions coming out and having to start all over again.

iszole
Cottager

Awards
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2012, 12:46:28 AM »

Thanks for the info. I started taking some measurements today. Having trouble deciding whether I want individually-sized compartments for each set of tiles, or go the easier/safer route and make 1.75" x 1.75" rows the full length of the box with spacers in between each expansion. I'm concerned about more expansions coming out and having to start all over again.

Do you have any info about new expansion sets coming out?
Ayhow the not fixed separator is a very good idea the question is the realization. When an expansion is taken out the spacer has to hold the remaining tiles against list (slant).
neosatan
Nobleman

Merit: 5

Awards
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2012, 04:35:47 AM »

I got a scetch up project with my future box for carcassonne. I can share it but on this board I don't have rights to share such file. I belive that projects have some mismatch, but when building it I had to go and correct some things.

Anyone interested just pm me.

I will post some photos when I am done with it. Maybe in next week or week after... Don't know when I will have time to finish it...

But... Quite nice boxes. I hope that mine will be as good as yours.
Scott
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Merit: 45

WWW Awards
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2012, 04:25:19 AM »

Do you have any info about new expansion sets coming out?
Ayhow the not fixed separator is a very good idea the question is the realization. When an expansion is taken out the spacer has to hold the remaining tiles against list (slant).

We only know that more expansions are coming; nothing specific.

neosatan
Nobleman

Awards
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2012, 04:42:59 AM »

This is my project for Carcassonne box. There area serveral piecess on img, so. The first one is the top part of box. On the bottom of this piece will be printed instruction, and similiar things liki scoreboard.
Next part piece is just storage for tiles it can hold something like 500 tiles each (I plan to do two of them, or three, cause I lie to do forests and firsherman fanexps and that is a lot of tiles.) Third part is the bottom of box. There will be sacks with wooden pieces, and resource counters, seasons and so on. That layout is pretty old, and I changed it that the spacers are in diffrent order, so I can put there cards from Btook.
Fourths piece is a thick top piece. This piece is just cause I don't know yet If I will have instruction in the box or not. Didn't decided yet. Maybe on this weekend I saw the pieces for this, and by the end of next week will have it finish. Still don't know if I will have the time.

The tile holders will have moveable spacers so I can separate diffrent exps. I think that they will be from bardboard, cause this thick woodboard are difficult to properly glue, and overall make a decent separator. Don't know yet. I have to look an materials I have in workshop...
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 04:46:44 AM by neosatan » Logged
Carcking
Authors
Marquis

Merit: 8

I call Red!

WWW Awards
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2012, 05:50:02 AM »

This is awesome neo! I like it!

Who's your favorite? Knight, Thief, Farmer or Monk?

Find CC Fanspansions Here
CKorfmann
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Merit: 32

Pigs are meeple too!

Awards
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2012, 08:45:43 AM »

Nice work, that looks really functional.  Merit point for you.

Flee the fleas!
neosatan
Nobleman

Awards
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2012, 02:56:06 PM »

Wow! didn't suspect that someone will give me a merit point for that...

Well it need a little more touch, but it got one major pros: when You have more tiles that it hold You just do another piece Smiley pretty whole collection of Carcassonne it can hold. With spin-offs, exps and more.
iszole
Cottager

Awards
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2012, 12:08:58 PM »

This is my project for Carcassonne box. .............. Maybe on this weekend I saw the pieces for this, and by the end of next week will have it finish. Still don't know if I will have the time.

.............. I have to look an materials I have in workshop...

Nice plan, I'm just waiting for pictures about manufacturing and the ready box. I think it will be as nice as the plan if you have a workshop. I made my one on the kitchen table...
(The text in the picture are polish. Are you polish? You know "Polak, Węgier, dwa bratanki....")
neosatan
Nobleman

Awards
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2012, 02:46:36 PM »

Well, on this weekend no box will be made Sad Got stuck with work. I had some greate plans with some wood and workbench...

@iszole
Yep! I'm from Poland.
"Polak, Węgier, dwa bratanki i do szabli i do szklanki" Well, kown in Poland. Specially after last elections... But I agree, I have even some family from my wifes side in Hungary, but realy don't know were Sad
 Well done with kitchen table! I got the luxury of having workshop in my family house, so it's for me just to travel 70 Km to my home town. I wanted to do some other wooden thing for Carcassonne (additional meeples, tower pieces, nice scoreboard and so on) but don't have ready plans for it.
Whaleyland
Authors
Viscount

Merit: 28

Often the loser, but still undefeated.

WWW Awards
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2012, 11:47:46 PM »

Funny story, I still use my Big Box 1 to store my complete Carc collection including every printed expansion. I don't store print-and-plays in there, but otherwise everything still fits. I'm almost out of room, though.

'There is no place in a fanatic's head where reason can enter'.
- Napoleon Bonaparte I, Emperor of the French (1804-1814, 1815)
neosatan
Nobleman

Awards
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2012, 04:41:09 AM »

Well, for now I keep my collection in standard Carcassonne box, mostly there goes tiles (around 500 tiles) and similiar cardboard pieces. All wooden pieces got in the sack from traderss and builders, and btook I keep separatly. Unfinish fanexps still are in my work box, that is a large cardboard box where I keep most of the materials for Carcassonne. I think that my box will have to be done shortly cause I don't have place to keep all of that in one place. When I want to play megaCarc game I have to bring with me box, sack, deck of btook and some other pieces... That is pretty annoying when friends want to play and I have to move from my current home (too small for megaCarc game) elswere :/
Still want to buy Wheel of fortune and festival with core game and make fisherman, so I will have to arrange some more space.
Carcking
Authors
Marquis

Merit: 8

I call Red!

WWW Awards
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2012, 07:21:23 AM »

I too keep everything in my Big Box. Base game, all official expansions and all fanspansions I have printed. It's big but convenient. I still have some room in it but it's getting full.

Who's your favorite? Knight, Thief, Farmer or Monk?

Find CC Fanspansions Here
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: