The satan ...
Carcassonne Central
April 27, 2024, 10:27:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: THESE FORUMS HAVE BEEN REPLACED. PLEASE GO TO THE NEW FORUMS: http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/

Home   Help Search Staff List Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: The satan ...  (Read 30297 times)
Gantry
Administrator
Chatelain

Merit: 20

taken

WWW Awards
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2009, 01:51:36 AM »

1. we now have an Anything Else (off topic) board, it could be considered a final resting place for this (I'll leave that up to the mods)
2. as long as this conversation stays civil, and I mean family-friendly civil, I don't mind it being in the public forums
3. don't forget, no one wins when arguing on the internet! being recognized for getting your points across with grace and humility wins you far more respect than blunt trauma.

Smiley

Have ideas for Carc Central?  PM me!
Joff
Authors
Chatelain

Merit: 30

I play yellow... usually

WWW Awards
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2009, 06:41:47 AM »

As a religious person, I am offended by certain remarks in here which I believe to be false. I don't think it is appropriate to get into this discussion, but I feel obligated to state my position lest I be held accountable for doing nothing.

Satan is the Devil, and he took the form of a snake in Genesis chapter 3 to trick the human race into sinning against God. This is well-accepted by millions of people around the world. To deny that Genesis is narrative is to deny the authenticity of the entire Bible. It's not metaphorical. If there are some aspects which you find difficult to believe, that's why it's called faith. If there was indisputable proof, there could not be faith. Some things must remain unexplained.

If you actually read the first two chapters of Job, you will see that although God initiates the discussion about Job, it was Satan's idea to ruin Job's life. Also notice that God does not tell Satan to ruin Job's life, but gives him permission. However, Satan is still limited by God in that he may not kill Job.

I don't expect to convince everyone, or even anyone. I wish to discourage people from making remarks about things which they do not understand. I recommend that further discussion in this thread be restricted to the mechanics of the AotC expansion and that all biblical debate end right now.

First off, I will join Scott and nail my colours to the mast. I agree with him Smiley

I agree that the topic for the AotC expansion veered a little off course and turned into a religious discussion... I personally don't mind religious discussions, however, perhaps CC is not the place and I would sooner concentrate on the expansion.

I am basing expansions to AotC on the general concensus of the persons playing the game, which for the most part, will be of religious persuations.

"Genesis" and "true" are not two words I would put in the same sentence without a negation. But, yeah, metaphores - no doubt.

They might well not be two words that you would group together in the same sentence, but they are definately two words that I would group together. Genesis is written as historical narrative, not poetry, nor metaphorical language.

While this verse (and, in fact, 6-12) mentions the name Satan, it does not explicity mention that he is the devil, although doesn't the NT mention that Satan is the Devil? And even if he isn't exactly the devil that turns people away as is said in the NT, what's to stop him doing to the meeples what he did to Job?

Christians (and i'm singling them out, as I know more about them Wink ) will use the principle of Scripture interpreting Scripture (on the whole), which is why the 'serpent' in Genesis, is interpreted to be Satan, and why Satan in Job is the devil.

No, Job is considered to be from around 400 BC and is generally viewed to be a play. And - no, there is no "devil" (neither by name or as an opponent to God) in OT. I challange you to give me just *one* quote mentioning him Smiley

Job is considered to be the oldest written book in the Bible (with the exception of the first 11 chapters of Genesis).

You will not find 'devil', but you will find 'Satan' in Job. I suppose it hinges on semantics. Should we use Åklagaren instead of Satan? (Sorry, I don't know much Swedish, but this seems the general name for Satan in a Swedish Bible).

As I said - I am not trying to be a jerk, and feel free to believe whatever. But placing a devil in OT is like placing steam boats on River I, ask any (unbiased) teacher in literature at any (unbiased) university.

I understand that you are not trying to offend. No problem. However, my challenge to you is: try and find an unbiased teacher Wink

Edit: BTW, that last remark was meant to be a joke Wink
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 11:11:04 AM by Joff » Logged
Scott
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Merit: 45

WWW Awards
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2009, 07:06:44 AM »

God is known by even more names. I don't expect you would say that anywhere a different name is given, that it's some other god. Likewise, it is well known and well accepted that Satan = the Devil = the Serpent/Snake. There's even two verses to prove it.

Quote from: Revelation 12:9
The great dragon was hurled down - that ancient serpent called the devil, or Satan, who leads the whole world astray.

Quote from: Revelation 20:2
He seized the dragon, that ancient serpent, who is the devil, or Satan, and bound him for a thousand years.

I skimmed the Wikipedia article and what I read looks right to me. I invite you to read the article on Hell. It wasn't invented by the Roman Catholic church. They did, however, invent purgatory, based on a passage in the second book of Maccabees which refers to saying a prayer for the dead. I don't know what a modern Roman Catholic would say about purgatory; too bad this discussion didn't come up a month ago because I was partying with some Catholic priests at a cathedral two weekends ago and could have asked them. Indulgences were supposed to get your dead relatives out of purgatory and into heaven faster. The people eventually figured out that the bishops were just using it as a scam to get rich and I'm pretty sure you can't buy indulgences anymore.

Religious discussions are hard enough in person; the Internet is probably the worst place for them. As long as this stays civilized, I'm happy to continue.

meepleater
Authors
Viscount

Some people finish stuff, others d

Awards
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2009, 01:53:43 PM »

Sorry if I have offended anyone... I am just trying to state my interpretation of the Bible...

Joff
Authors
Chatelain

I play yellow... usually

WWW Awards
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2009, 02:20:45 PM »

Thumbs up love the cartoon Scott Smiley  Grin

Sorry if I have offended anyone... I am just trying to state my interpretation of the Bible...

I think that is what it boils down to at the end of the day; how we view the Bible is the way we will 'interpret' it. We are not all going to agree on such an emotive subject... but we can all still be friends Smiley 
Group huggle
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 02:23:26 PM by Joff » Logged
Wishmaster
Count

Merit: 4

I've got Purple Meeples!

WWW Awards
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2009, 05:05:40 AM »

Dangerous ground. The one sure way to divide people (and therefore a forum) is Religion. I will site a small planet named Earth as evidence. I'm now keeping well away from this.

Time for one more daring dream...
Joff
Authors
Chatelain

I play yellow... usually

WWW Awards
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2009, 05:50:12 AM »

I think for all concerned, it would be better to leave religious arguments away from CC.
Whaleyland
Authors
Viscount

Merit: 28

Often the loser, but still undefeated.

WWW Awards
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2009, 07:38:44 AM »

Amen!

'There is no place in a fanatic's head where reason can enter'.
- Napoleon Bonaparte I, Emperor of the French (1804-1814, 1815)
Tobias
Global Moderator
Viscount

Merit: 9

The last cookie!

Awards
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2009, 02:43:25 PM »

Dangerous ground. The one sure way to divide people (and therefore a forum) is Religion. I will site a small planet named Earth as evidence. I'm now keeping well away from this.

I will never understand this. I will never understand how anyone can be offended by another person's opinion. I will never understand the need to hide nor the ignorance that follows. I know no one who consider themselves a believer will read the book I linked to earlier. Which is a pity.

However - my argument was not religious - it was borne from litterature studies. The bible is a text, and can thus be read. It is up to you how you read it though - if you consider it the truth (in which case you will have to ignore all the different passages which talks against eachother) or if you consider it to be metaphorical (in which case Jesus probably was not a real person but rather a manifest of ideas - so to speak). Or if you read it as a historical document. Or - whatever.

For me, and most of my colleagues, the bible is a work of fiction. It tells the tales of myths (just as many other cultural documents, written or otherwise, do). In one of the tales of creation, the god tells people to spread over the earth. In the other it goes into detail. In one the first two people are just made into man and women, and their firstborn is named Set. In the other man is made from .. um, earth, and later the female is made from parts of him; their firstborn is named Cain (who - interestingly enough one of my previous teacher viewed as the origin of the devil).

Now. If one does not allow one's beliefs to be scrutinised, (which surely was not my intent from the beginning) ... well, that tells me that they are rather shallow. Faith is one thing - (faith is probably good in the long run). Blind faith which means that you will be offended every time someone has a different view upon something, well, that can not be healty.

They might well not be two words that you would group together in the same sentence, but they are definately two words that I would group together. Genesis is written as historical narrative, not poetry, nor metaphorical language.

It does not really matter why it was written, what is important is why it was selected to be included in the bible (see Wikipedia. That however is rather obvious. Genesis is an attempt to consolidate various myths and themes into one. To make a monothesis out of a polythesis, simply said (point of note here: I am not saying anyone did this deliberately, or from malice. Rather that the same thing happened there as what happened when the nordic countries abandoned their believes in the Æsir. It is easier to control people who only believes in one god, as opposed to many). You can read for yourself though - here is a good start. Keep following the links. In case you feel overwhelmed - these links will come in handy: 1,2 and 3. And, well, of course: theodicy (which might be outside the scoope of this discourse).

Job is considered to be the oldest written book in the Bible (with the exception of the first 11 chapters of Genesis).

You will not find 'devil', but you will find 'Satan' in Job. I suppose it hinges on semantics. Should we use Åklagaren instead of Satan? (Sorry, I don't know much Swedish, but this seems the general name for Satan in a Swedish Bible).

Åklagaren is what he is called in swedish translations (well, it used to be at least, I have not read the newest translation). It is equivalent to The adversary (or rather the accuser) which is what he is called in the english bible (satan, the adversary (or Accuser?). Unless I am missinformed). This does not mean he is the devil. All satan does in the poem is doing the god's will. Job is written around 4-500 BC, while most of the septaguint is older. Some parts much older.

The point is that the devil as an opponent to the god is not present in the old testament. God obviously uses someone as handyman to carry out his (sometimes dirty) work, but that entity never does anything by his own accord.

God is known by even more names. I don't expect you would say that anywhere a different name is given, that it's some other god. Likewise, it is well known and well accepted that Satan = the Devil = the Serpent/Snake. There's even two verses to prove it.

Quote from: Revelation 12:9
The great dragon was hurled down - that ancient serpent called the devil, or Satan, who leads the whole world astray.

Quote from: Revelation 20:2
He seized the dragon, that ancient serpent, who is the devil, or Satan, and bound him for a thousand years.

Many names for the god, but also a lot of names for other gods, ie Baal. If there is only one god how can anyone else claim to be a god (this might belong to the teodicy tough). One text can not be used to prove that what is written inside itself is truth; the circular reasoning does not really work. But then again Revelation is not Old Testament - right?

They did, however, invent purgatory, based on a passage in the second book of Maccabees which refers to saying a prayer for the dead. I don't know what a modern Roman Catholic would say about purgatory; too bad this discussion didn't come up a month ago because I was partying with some Catholic priests at a cathedral two weekends ago and could have asked them. Indulgences were supposed to get your dead relatives out of purgatory and into heaven faster. The people eventually figured out that the bishops were just using it as a scam to get rich and I'm pretty sure you can't buy indulgences anymore.

Religious discussions are hard enough in person; the Internet is probably the worst place for them. As long as this stays civilized, I'm happy to continue.

Hell and Purgatory could as well be the same. You bought indulgence to "go direct to salvation" so to speak. Being in hell or purgatory could as well be the same.

Who is evil and not is also an interesting topic. Please read: 1. Chronicles (I have no idea how to abbrivate these) 21. And tell me why it would upset the god to have the people counted? Or Psalm 137:9 and tell me why the god would want me to crack babies' skulls open against rocks? Ackording to judaism, an evil force separated from the god is kind of secondary, from wikipedia: "The Talmud mentions the Satan in many places. In all of these places, the Satan is merely an agent of God, and has no independent existence. " which, in context, seems pretty agreeable.

In Judaism they are told to read and question, and to question what others have questioned. In Chrisitianity they are told to read (if that) and accept. Old T was part of Judaism for a long time before being part of Christianity. In Judaism they see (well, or saw, maybe) that if the god is omnipotent, then evil will also come from him, so it matters not who is personifying it.

And, for the record, no, I am not jewish Smiley

Nature finds a way. Tobias finds two.
Scott
Authors
Duke Chevalier

WWW Awards
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2009, 05:24:45 PM »

What offends me is when people state their opinion as fact. Especially because your opinions can be verified as false but you persist in them regardless.

Genesis was not an attempt to consolidate various myths and themes. It's a compilation of various other documents describing the history of the beginning of the world. Genesis was written by Moses. He had access to the great libraries in Egypt. There is only no tale of creation where the firstborn is named Seth. Go read your Bible. The fourth chapter of Genesis clearly states that Cain is born first, then Abel. Cain kills Abel and becomes an outcast. Seth is born later. Just because Cain is the first murderer doesn't make him the origin of the Devil. Satan became the Devil before Creation and has been God's adversary the whole time.

God obviously uses someone as handyman to carry out his (sometimes dirty) work, but that entity never does anything by his own accord.

God doesn't have dirty work and doesn't need a handyman. God destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah all by himself. Satan does everything by his own accord, but is limited by God because God is sovereign over all things. It's no different from how God lets everyone else sin. Punishment will come in the end of days.

One text can not be used to prove that what is written inside itself is truth; the circular reasoning does not really work. But then again Revelation is not Old Testament - right?

The Bible consists of the Old Testament AND the New Testament. Even without the New Testament, millions of Jewish people knew that Satan was the Devil was the Serpent. How you can sit here and deny it, even after I gave scriptural proof, amazes me. Just because you believe the Bible to be a work of fiction does not mean that you can isolate parts of it from each other. We call that: taking things out of context.

In 1 Chronicles 21, which is also described in 2 Samuel 24, God is angry because David's census represents an unwarranted glorying in and dependence on human power rather than God. There is no immediate external threat, so no reason to have a census except his own personal pride.

In Psalm 137:9, it is not saying that God wants to crack babies skulls open against the rocks. Classic example of taking something out of context. If you read the whole thing, in context, it is describing the actions of enemy invaders. War was just as cruel then as it is now.

Gantry
Administrator
Chatelain

taken

WWW Awards
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2009, 05:51:04 PM »

I am closely monitoring this, to keep it civil.

Quote from: Scott
What offends me is when people state their opinion as fact.

Everyone's opinion is fact for them. In fact Tobias acknowledges this by saying:

Quote from: Tobias
For me, and most of my colleagues, the bible is ...
emphasis mine.

Scott, he is only stating what he has learned from his studies. You are stating what you learned from your studies.  If you take offense, may I suggest that all those involved in this thread reconsider your goals: do you want to (A) state your position and rationale or (B) convince others they are wrong? If it is (B), this will only lead to me locking this thread before it gets out of hand. My indulgence on this is wearing thin.

Have ideas for Carc Central?  PM me!
Scott
Authors
Duke Chevalier

WWW Awards
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2009, 08:49:29 PM »

Some people have the opinion that the world is flat, but that doesn't make it fact. The concept of individual truths is a result of post-modernism.

I'm not trying to convert anybody here. People can believe in whatever religion they want, but they shouldn't presume to know things about someone else's religion. I don't presume to know the contents of the Book of Mormon or the Quran. If I read something in one of those books, I still wouldn't presume to be knowledgeable on what I read because I haven't extensively studied the whole book. I would perhaps ask questions about what I read, but I wouldn't feel comfortable drawing firm conclusions.

Just like any religious discussion on the Internet, I don't think anything will get accomplished here, so I'm done with this thread.

Joff
Authors
Chatelain

I play yellow... usually

WWW Awards
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2009, 09:23:12 AM »

It is up to you how you read it though - if you consider it the truth (in which case you will have to ignore all the different passages which talks against eachother)

Or you can dig deeper and find answers to those alleged contradictions. The alleged contradictions of the Bible have long been answered. All alleged contradictions can be reasonably answered. Sure, there are difficult passages, but no contradictions. You might not accept those answers, but that, of course, is up to you Smiley
canada steve
Global Moderator
Marquis

Merit: 7

Forum Moderator

Awards
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2009, 09:38:11 AM »

Hopefully you guys have come to an amicable end to this interesting discussion. I will point out that while the internet is a great thing it can also be a real pain, for example I just typed in Angel Satan and Wiki tells of a fallen Arch-angel called Satan...

So make of that what you will discuss it if you wish (I for one am not saying if it is right or wrong) but remember it is all peoples personal conjecture of a topic.

Cheers

Canada Steve
Tobias
Global Moderator
Viscount

Merit: 9

The last cookie!

Awards
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2009, 03:07:16 PM »

It is up to you how you read it though - if you consider it the truth (in which case you will have to ignore all the different passages which talks against eachother)

Or you can dig deeper and find answers to those alleged contradictions. The alleged contradictions of the Bible have long been answered. All alleged contradictions can be reasonably answered. Sure, there are difficult passages, but no contradictions. You might not accept those answers, but that, of course, is up to you Smiley

I will ask you one simple question: If the god gave man free will, how come Er and Onan was killed? (These brothers are just two of many it has killed.) To say that the bible has no contradictions simply proves that you have not read it; I can spend all night finding passages which are contradictory. And, no, Scripture interpreting Scripture is not a legal method - you can ready one reason why here.

Nature finds a way. Tobias finds two.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: