City Council
Carcassonne Central
April 27, 2024, 04:26:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: THESE FORUMS HAVE BEEN REPLACED. PLEASE GO TO THE NEW FORUMS: http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/

Home   Help Search Staff List Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: City Council  (Read 22823 times)
chrallan
Cottager

Merit: 0

Awards
« on: June 22, 2009, 04:31:35 PM »

Here's an expansion I've been working on/thinking about for a while and I've decided to finally post it on here.

"The land of Carcassonne is rapidly expanding. A Building Advisory Counsel has been formed to oversee construction on cities."

Contents
This expansion includes new tiles only:
-6 new land tiles containing city pieces that have a purple pennant
-5 generic veto tiles

Setup
Shuffle the new land tiles in with the rest of the tiles
Set aside the appropriate number of Veto tiles
2 players - 1 tile
3 players - 2 tiles
4 players - 3 tiles
5 players - 4 tiles
6 players - 5 tiles

Rules
Purple Pennants:
A city that contains a purple pennant cancels out the effect of all other 'regular' pennants in that city. As a result, any mayors in the city count as 0. When scoring the city, ignore pennants.

Veto Tiles:
1) When a player completes a lap around the scoreboard (crosses the 50pt mark) they claim a Veto tile and place it in front of them.
2) A player with a Veto tile may use it when an opponent finishes their placement of a tile (and meeple if applicable). The Vetoer (the one who has the veto) removes the just placed tile (and meeple if applicable) and places their Veto tile in its place with one of their meeples on top. The player who was just vetoed must place their tile elsewhere.
3) Veto tile remains on the board until the player who placed the tile draws an appropriate tile and chooses to place it there. The Veto tile is then set aside and can be claimed by another player (when they make another loop around the board).
4) A player is not allowed to have more than 1 unplayed Veto tile at any given time.
5) If no Veto tile is available when a player completes a lap around the track, they do not get a tile.
6) If the player who is being vetoed is also in possession of a veto tile they have the option to counterveto. Both tiles are then set aside (their power spent).
7) If more than one player wishes to use their Veto tile, priority goes to the player who's turn comes next.
Cool At the end of the game, if any veto tiles are left on the board, their corresponding owners LOSE 10 points for each tile.

I feel like I've said the word Veto too many times, lol. Anyway, I think those are all the rules. If you have any questions or suggestions let me know!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 06:56:54 PM by chrallan » Logged
Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Merit: 49

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 05:57:55 PM »

I like this expansion.  It makes things competitive, without making them nasty (like P&D or tower).  However, do you mean City Counsel or City Council?  The Counsel is a person (i.e. the counsellor), the council is a group of people (e.g. the building board).

chrallan
Cottager

Merit: 0

Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 06:57:30 PM »

However, do you mean City Counsel or City Council?  The Counsel is a person (i.e. the counsellor), the council is a group of people (e.g. the building board).
Thank you
Gwommy
Count

Merit: 30

Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 09:12:52 PM »

Here's 6 tiles for this expansion:
http://gwommy.tripod.com/carcassonne/CityCouncil.pdf

==EDIT==
Link fixed.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 09:39:53 PM by Gwommy » Logged
djdahmer
Vassal

Merit: 2

Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 09:31:40 PM »

I got a broken link when I tried to download the rules.
Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 03:13:28 AM »

Gwommy, I don't know... some of those tiles looks a bit too purple to fit in with regular carc.  When you replaced the colours, did you select just the shields or was the whole tile selected?

Gwommy
Count

Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2009, 06:34:19 AM »

Just the shield.

==EDIT==
I darkened the purple a little, does that help?

==EDIT 2==
Is anyone working on the Veto tiles?  I made a couple that may be able to work.  What do people think?  Basically, I just took Novelty's Ghetto Tile and changed the roofs to purple.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 09:54:37 AM by Gwommy » Logged
JPutt927
Authors
Duke

Merit: 32

Conquering the world...One tile at a time.

Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2009, 09:34:23 AM »

The shield itself looks fine, but there's a purple tint to the rest of the tile which makes it look quite a bit different from the regular carc tiles.
Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2009, 11:02:05 PM »

I like the veto tiles!  Those tiles can be used as weird abbeys as well if they aren't being used as the veto tile!

The shield itself looks fine, but there's a purple tint to the rest of the tile which makes it look quite a bit different from the regular carc tiles.
What JPutt927 said.  Basically, the black lines of the tile outside of the shield look a lot more purple than the black they are supposed to be.

Gwommy
Count

Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2009, 12:30:29 PM »

Here's my last edit for these:
JPutt927
Authors
Duke

Merit: 32

Conquering the world...One tile at a time.

Awards
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2009, 12:57:29 PM »

They look much better. Nice job.
Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2009, 04:16:49 PM »

These look great!  Thanks for making them.  Now I've got to draft up the rules.

Gwommy
Count

Awards
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2009, 04:52:31 PM »

Are you writing up the rules as Chrallan originally posted?  I don't have any suggestions for changes.  Although I wonder,  is any type of penalty for getting a veto tile and not playing at all?
Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2009, 06:44:37 PM »

Probably Gwommy, I'll have to see how it flows when I write it out.  I will add in the rule that each player can only get one - otherwise, it might unbalance it for someone who is way ahead in the scoring.

It'll also be difficult to track who has played which veto tile since it goes into play and then comes back off again and may be used multiple times, so I'm not sure if a penalty for getting one and not playing it might be a good idea.

Gwommy
Count

Awards
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2009, 09:28:49 PM »

Probably Gwommy, I'll have to see how it flows when I write it out.  I will add in the rule that each player can only get one - otherwise, it might unbalance it for someone who is way ahead in the scoring.
Add in the rule that each player can only get one veto tile?  Chrallan mentions that in rule #4.  It sounds like you can't have more than one at any given time.  I'm assuming that you mean you can't get another after you've replaced the last veto tile on the board? 

It'll also be difficult to track who has played which veto tile since it goes into play and then comes back off again and may be used multiple times, so I'm not sure if a penalty for getting one and not playing it might be a good idea.
You shouldn't have to keep track of who played which veto tile.  For every 50 points, you get a veto tile added to your supply if you don't have any in your supply and (I'm assuming) if you don't have a veto tile on the board with one of your followers on it.  I guess you probably shouldn't get penalized if you have a veto tile in your supply.

I'm also going to guess that the veto tile doesn't complete any features that it touches.  Should that include the veto tile not counting for cloisters as well?
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: