Forest Fire
Carcassonne Central
April 28, 2024, 05:45:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: THESE FORUMS HAVE BEEN REPLACED. PLEASE GO TO THE NEW FORUMS: http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/

Home   Help Search Staff List Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Forest Fire  (Read 34873 times)
CKorfmann
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Merit: 32

Pigs are meeple too!

Awards
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2009, 05:45:39 AM »

I agree with these guys, I like the smokey one.  Great job!

Flee the fleas!
Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Merit: 49

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2009, 08:02:29 AM »

I've seen a lot of forest fires in my life and some greyish-black smoke is quite common and makes it look like wood is burning.
Ditto here and usually, due to the high water content of the trees, the smoke is more light grey than dark-grey/black.  Anyways, with regards to the tile, it's personal preference I guess.

Oh and the other thing, if you still have your layers try bluring your fire more around the edges so that it'll blend in more.

JPutt927
Authors
Duke

Conquering the world...One tile at a time.

Awards
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2009, 10:16:55 AM »

Well, after a little more tweaking...I'm personally content with the possibility of using this as the final design...

Now, in regards to the rules...here are my early thoughts, feel free to share your opinions.

- Since a forest fire is extremely damaging and will render a forest as nearly useless, my idea is to make the forest it is attached to worth zero points, regardless of what is inside of it.
- Furthermore, any deployed followers will remain in the burning forest until it has been completed...as per the usual rules. However, as stated, the forest will be worth nothing once completed.
- Finally, any trade goods (such as lumber and apples) that lie within the forest will also be rendered useless. Upon completion of the forest, the trade good icons inside should be ignored, and will not be given to the player who completed it.

Another rule to ponder...should the size of the completed burning forest be considered when determining who receives the Outlaw tile?

Let me know what you think and whether those rules seem appropriate for the tile!
meepleater
Authors
Viscount

Merit: 20

Some people finish stuff, others d

Awards
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2009, 04:08:59 PM »

The rules seem good. Maybe make it somewhat more similar to seiges? I don't think the trade good rule is good, if someone wanted to retain the majority all they have to do is put it in a burning forest...

Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2009, 04:59:55 PM »

The tile and the rules look good!  Could you add some smoke to the left side so as to show the forest is still smouldering?  That would make it look better.

Another rule to ponder...should the size of the completed burning forest be considered when determining who receives the Outlaw tile?
I would say no.

JPutt927
Authors
Duke

Awards
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2009, 05:26:39 PM »

How about that?

JPutt927
Authors
Duke

Awards
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2009, 07:22:35 PM »

And yes, I agree. The completed burning forest should not count towards the biggest forest count. I also believe that the trade goods should become useless, even if this allows a player to maintain majority by placing more trade goods into a burning forest. Therefore, the only advantage towards completing a burning forest would be to get back any deployed pawns. Quite the evil tile. So, being that I'm new to this whole thing, what's my next step towards getting this expansion finished and posted?
Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2009, 03:19:21 AM »

I was just thinking this tile will discourage people from building on the forest, because there's no points gained from that forest, and that might be a bad thing.  Perhaps there should be something to encourage people to continue building and adding to the forest after this tile is played, e.g. a player may get his or her meeple back by extending that forest.  It would also be nice if the player who completes the forest (i.e. creates a firebreak) gets 1 point for every 2 forest tiles in that forest, or something like that.  Otherwise, there'll be a huge uncompleted forest on the map and I feel that is just bad.

So, being that I'm new to this whole thing, what's my next step towards getting this expansion finished and posted?

1. Get the tile to print correctly at 100% - it's best to PDF it to a sheet of A4 paper.
2. Draft out the rules in the Carcassonne Central format.  The format is a downloadable file in a "sticky" post on this forum.

JPutt927
Authors
Duke

Awards
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2009, 01:52:14 PM »

Well, I've drafted out the rules. Do they need to be looked over? If so, how do I get them to their appropriate place?
meepleater
Authors
Viscount

Awards
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2009, 04:13:48 PM »

Post them to this thread and everyone will proof read it and correct any mistakes. Novelty or someone else will put it up when they think it's ready...

JPutt927
Authors
Duke

Awards
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2009, 04:21:09 PM »

THE FOREST FIRE

A Carcassonne Central expansion by JPutt927

A devastating forest fire is threatening the Woodsmen of Carcassonne, destroying the very resources that so many have come to rely on. One’s only hope may be in stopping the spread of this disaster.

EXTRA PIECES

1 new tile, the forest fire.

ADDITIONAL RULES

Preparation

This tile is designed to be played with any or all of the fan-made forest expansions.
At the beginning of the game, shuffle the forest fire tile with the rest of the land tiles.

1. Place a tile

The forest fire tile is placed in the usual way. It may be attached to a field segment and begin a new (burning) forest. Or, it may be added to a forest that has already been established.

2. Deploy a follower

Because the forest portion on the tile is burning, no followers may be deployed on that particular forest area. However, a player may choose to deploy a follower to the field as a Farmer as according to the normal rules. 

3. Retrieving a deployed follower

Upon placement of the forest fire tile, that forest immediately and drastically reduces in value.  Any Woodsmen deployed in the connecting forest become irrelevant when determining who receives any points. 

A player may retrieve their now useless deployed Woodmen by either adding any tile to the forest themselves, or waiting for the burning forest to be completed (either by themselves or another player). The player may retrieve ALL of their deployed followers at one time. Choosing to retrieve the Woodsmen after placing a connecting forest tile will take the place of any further follower deployment for that turn.

4. Score

Any icons inside of a burning forest are immediately worth nothing. These include the forest guild icon and any trade good icons (if playing with those particular forest expansions).   Adding a tile with the cherry icon to a burning forest will NOT give the player an additional tile for the turn.

The only way that a burning forest can yield points is upon completion of that forest. When a player places a tile which completes the burning forest, therefore putting an end to further spreading of the fire, that player will earn points. The player that completes a burning forest will receive 1 point for every 2 tiles that the forest consists of. In the event of an odd number of tiles, disregard the extra tile. Due to the destruction caused by the fire, the player that completes the forest will not get any trade goods (such as apples and timber) that the forest may contain.

Furthermore, a completed burning forest will NOT count towards determining who receives the Outlaw tile, even if it the largest completed forest. However, it will count as a completed forest when determining how many points the player holding the Outlaw tile will receive at the end of the game. Any forest segments belonging to a burning forest will not produce bonus points for touching the corner of a log cabin.

Final Scoring

If a burning forest is incomplete at the end of the game, it will be worth nothing, regardless of any followers deployed within.
Also, as stated above, a completed burning forest WILL count as 1 point for the player holding the Outlaw tile at the end.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 04:31:23 PM by jputt927 » Logged
meepleater
Authors
Viscount

Awards
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2009, 04:24:59 PM »

I think you might have misinterpreted my unclear instructions... you need to download the rules template from some sticky thread on this board, then type up the rules into that, make a pdf and link the pdf to this thread...

EDIT: but the rules look good anyway...
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 04:26:48 PM by meepleater » Logged

JPutt927
Authors
Duke

Awards
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2009, 04:30:28 PM »

Well, no...they weren't misinterpreted. I've done that. I just didn't know exactly how you wanted that filled in template posted back to the forum for you all to read.
meepleater
Authors
Viscount

Awards
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2009, 04:33:45 PM »

Host it on mediafire or something like that, and then link it to this thread.

(first photobucket now mediafire, I hope this isn't too annoying for you)

But with the pdf we can check your formatting as well as the rules...

JPutt927
Authors
Duke

Awards
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2009, 04:46:23 PM »

Ok...well, that should do it. However, I filled things out on a Mac...so it appears that some of the formatting may have changed due to my program not having certain fonts, amongst other things.

http://www.mediafire.com/?mmfytnm2k2j
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 09:53:05 PM by jputt927 » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: