Forest Fire
Carcassonne Central
April 28, 2024, 05:25:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: THESE FORUMS HAVE BEEN REPLACED. PLEASE GO TO THE NEW FORUMS: http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/

Home   Help Search Staff List Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Forest Fire  (Read 34872 times)
meepleater
Authors
Viscount

Merit: 20

Some people finish stuff, others d

Awards
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2009, 05:04:43 PM »

The heading font appears unusual, but works. Maybe you should make mention of a logging camp from the green dragon expansion. (It means normal forests are worth 2 points per tile when completed, but none if incomplete). How would one of these affect a burning forest?

JPutt927
Authors
Duke

Merit: 32

Conquering the world...One tile at a time.

Awards
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2009, 05:26:28 PM »

Good call. It's been added.
JPutt927
Authors
Duke

Awards
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2009, 05:34:29 PM »

Now now, hopefully this will be one of my last questions...sorry for being a first-timer! But alas, how in the world do I post my tile image so that it will actually print as the appropriate size? In other words, how do I format it into a pdf while making sure it will fit a tile when cut out? It's probably simple, but I can't seem to wrap my head around figuring that one out. I certainly appreciate all the help!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 05:37:23 PM by jputt927 » Logged
meepleater
Authors
Viscount

Awards
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2009, 05:47:37 PM »

It's okay, we were all a first-timer once (except for the founding members). I'm not too sure how to make it the correct size. It's easiest to create it the correct size with a high resolution, which allows you to get close up and add detail, without having to later resize it. If it is the correct size in photoshop or whatever you use, I add it toa word document and make that a PDF. If you do that, try to add the carcassonne logo like on other tile pdfs in the download section.

Sorry if this is too long winded and confusing/ doesn't work...

JPutt927
Authors
Duke

Awards
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2009, 06:02:03 PM »

There we go, I guess I should have tinkered around with it some more...as I somehow managed to get it to work! It should be correctly sized and ready to print...

http://www.mediafire.com/?5ehjiqz3exz
meepleater
Authors
Viscount

Awards
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2009, 06:13:46 PM »

Looks pretty good to me... wait to see what others think...

Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Merit: 49

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2009, 06:20:14 PM »

Wow, the rules are good.

I can only spot 2 things:
1. The page number missing from the first page
2. The "story" paragraph (i.e. starting with "A devastating fire...") needs to be justified.

The fonts really don't matter too much, but if you are pedantic, you might want to try changing them to something that matches.  Also, another minor quibble is that the alignment of the background box does not "line up" when comparing page 1 to page 2.  You might want to fix that also.

After that, all you need to do is PDF the tile so that it prints out at the correct size at 100% and then it'll be ready for public downloads.

JPutt927
Authors
Duke

Awards
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2009, 09:16:34 PM »

Well, I've fixed some of the things you mentioned. As far as the story goes, I'm not so sure what you mean as far as "justifying" it. I actually chose to write a different one altogether... let me know if it seems adequate, and if not, feel free to suggest how it may need to be stated.

"For years, the forests of Carcassonne have provided Woodsmen with rich resources and valuable trade goods.  However, this craft is at risk as the threat of forest fires is at an all-time high.  Forest fires so devastating that they may destroy all that was once profitable."

Also, I've posted a PDF of the tile that should print at the correct size. I posted the link above. Finally, thanks for all the help...I appreciate it.
meepleater
Authors
Viscount

Awards
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2009, 09:50:12 PM »

Justify is a formatting option (like left, right and centre alignment). It increases/ decreases the space between words in ech line to fill the entire line with words.

Unjustified:
-----------------------
-------------------
-----------------------
----------------
---

Justified:
-----------------------
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
-----------------------
-  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -
-            -            -

See how the text (dashes) is lined up by varying the spaces. Novelty wants you to do that to the text.
It should be the 4th formatting option

JPutt927
Authors
Duke

Awards
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2009, 09:57:27 PM »

Hahah, wow...I read too much into that. Here I was thinking the actual content of the story needed justification...which really had me perplexed. I didn't even consider the possibility of it referring to the formatting. Thanks for making clear what should have been obvious to me. Smiley
JPutt927
Authors
Duke

Awards
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2009, 10:07:07 PM »

And finally, I seem to have "justified" my story! Here's the link once again...

http://www.mediafire.com/?ygzcmmnm1nt

and the tile PDF...

http://www.mediafire.com/?5ehjiqz3exz
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 06:31:02 AM by jputt927 » Logged
Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Merit: 49

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2009, 12:06:24 AM »

The story bit is still not justified.  To justify it, there should be a format paragraph - align = justify option.  Other options should be left/right/centre.

The tile is fine.

Joff
Authors
Chatelain

Merit: 30

I play yellow... usually

WWW Awards
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2009, 01:13:35 AM »

Yes, just need to sort the justification of the opening story out.

This is a very good expansion for a first timer! Well done. Looking forward to what else you can come up with Wink
JPutt927
Authors
Duke

Awards
« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2009, 06:18:25 AM »

Well hmmph. According to the formatting options of my word program...it's definitely justified. Now that I look at it...it certainly doesn't look justified...tho the program would argue otherwise... I'll get this thing figured out sooner or later!
JPutt927
Authors
Duke

Awards
« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2009, 06:32:44 AM »

Ok! Justified, and looking like it. The link above should be updated. Thanks for the compliments...I've already got some ideas for more expansions...  Smiley
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: